Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #1

Problem with 2007 Jayco: Floor Split

After having stored this virually brand new trailer, used 9 times, the way we were told to store it, the floor split from one end to the other and the company is refusing to stand by their product and fix it because " they can't control the weather" ! I am VERY dissapointed as we expected more from Jayco. Any advice??

cranberryfraser5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

Hello CBF5! Welcome to the Jayco forum, glad you found us.

Can you give us some more info - how was it stored and what kind of damage. When you say the floor split, do you mean the plywood or the vinyl, etc? The more info, the better the members will be able to respond.

Not knowing all the facts, it is hard to comment on Jayco's respond, but they are currently releasing the 2012 models, so yours is 4 to 5 years. Hard to hear I know, but I am not sure Jayco has any continued liability after that long.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

Just the vinyl split and I realize that they do not have a written liability but considering we have an trailer that is 11 years old too (not a Jayco) and stored right next to the Jayco which this did not happen to, one has to wonder. I would definitely consider 4-5 years virtually brand new in trailer years since the "life expectancy" is so long, not like cars.

My point is that I just want them to stand by their product and fix something that doesn't usually happen to trailers in general. The dealer said that they have had many reports of the exact same thing happening this year to the newer Jayco trailers.

Thanks for the help
cranberryfraser5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #4

I definitely understand where you are coming from and dont necessarly disagree, but it is not that much different than a new house - the builder will not come back after 4 years and replace something that is wrong. I know how frustrating that can be.

I have not heard of many folks here on the forums that have had that problem, but hopefully someone else can chime in and give their experience.

If you get a chance, come on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself!
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

I think you will find that splitting vinyl is a common occurence in cold climates. After all that time I realy don't see Jayco as having any responsibility.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #6

Remember that many TT makers (including Jayco), use mass purchased / lower cost (which is often meduim to lower grade) materials for their TTs. Especially for their walls and flooring. And, many materials isn't made by the TT maker. They are make by other product specialst and the TT maker simply assembles together. Thus, don't think I'd point the finger at Jayco. I'd point the fault at the company who makes the individual product. re: The vinyl floor material maker (company).

Sad to read the vinyl floor material in your 2007 TT split. Being a 4 year old TT (way past its TT factory warranty), I'd simply visit a few flooring places and get them to replace it. If into DIY tasks, you can remove the old vinyl yourself (using a chissel) - to save install costs. If your Jayco TT has NO slide, I'd simply remove the vinyl, glue&screw new 5/8" tonque/grove plywood on the factory plywood floor (to make the floor stronger), then get a flooring company to install new vinyl. Thus, creating much better quality then TT factory vinyl. And, you get the floor pattern you want.

I agree the vinyl flooring material on 2007 TT should NOT split. Especially if the TT was properly stored and didn't endure dampness or/or huge temp changes (which is hard on many materials). But... "things" happen in life. Even to the good folks like yourselves. Instead of replacing "like for like", I would take this opportunity to make the factory floor better. Much better. Especially if you plan to keep your 2007 TT for many more years.

Hope this helps...
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Site Team

I have heard of this happening where extreme cold temperatures are encountered (well below zero) to many brands. I`m not excusing it, but it does happen more often then one might think. Under the warranty period I`m thinking they would have replaced it. But not on a 4 yr old unit.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Cranberryfraser5! Sorry about the flooring, that really sucks. In the past two years of this forum, I don't remember anyone complaining of vinyl floor splitting. Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, I'm just guessing it doesn't happen often. Where do you live? Any chance you could post a pic? I'm curious to see splitting vinyl looks (I'm having a hard time visualizing it). CLutch, Spike, and Crabman have offered some great input. If you do opt to have a local flooring company install new vinyl, definitely ask them which would be best to use for your cold/storage situation. Let us know how it goes
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #9

Part of the reason has to do with Jayco gluing their floors down. Most flooring manufacturers now recommend floating the flooring to avoid this problem. It makes more sense for Jayco to glue it down since fitting a floating floor is far too expensive to be competitive. If the floor was just laid loose on the floor without gluing, then the cabinetry, walls, etc. were then added on top, the flooring would eventually buckle. Gluing reduces the chances that problems can develop.

I would not recommend adding plywood to the existing floor before replacing the vinyl. True, it will greatly strengthen the floor but that stuff is HEAVY and make make your trailer overweight.

A chisel will remove the old flooring but one could die of old age before finishing. A multi-tool with a scraper blade will work much faster. Even the el cheapo one from Harbor Freight should be able to do the job. Just be careful to keep the blade flat to avoid digging into the plywood.

Although it will add a significant amount of weight, a floating laminate floor will be almost bullet proof. If the split in the original vinyl is laying flat, you might be able to install without removing it. Allure is a stick together vinyl plank floating flooring the goes down much laminate but is much lighter. I'm thinking Armstrong makes it.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #10

Sorry to hear of your problem with your 2007 model, but I do not see where Jayco is at fault.

2010 Jayco Jay Flight G-2 32 BHDS
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote