Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #1

Problem with top of slideout

The other day before running in the slideout I got up on a ladder to check for debris before doing so. Noticed that part of the the bulb seal was out of it's track. I was able to pop it back in but saw that the probable cause was the black tape peeling back and bunching up, exposing the sticky grey putty underneath it. The bulb seal stuck to the putty and pulled it out when the slide ran out. My question is what is the product name for this black tape? It is 3" wide, very thin and looks similar to electrical tape in color/sheen. Wanting to buy some and fix this myself, and also overlap a piece 90 degrees to the original. The tape is at the outside part of the slideout, but inside the "flange" piece that frames the outer slide wall. Any help with this would be appreciated.
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #2

From what I can determine you have a problem with your black tape on the top of the slide out in the same spot I did. Just over the flange frame and about the middle of the slide out. Mine was also torn back and the sticky area underneath was catching on the rubber flap that angles out from the TT and keeps the weather out. The flap had gotten sticky with glue all over it and was not folding in and out as it should as the slide out moved back and forth. I decided to use black gorilla tape over the torn spot. I cleaned it and put a good solid piece of the new tape over the torn area with a good amount of overlap onto the existing tape that was not damaged. Not sure if you've used gorilla tape (can get it a Lowe's) but it's some mean and tough tape. You had better want what you put it on to stay taped and don't plan on taking the tape off. Taking it off after it's been on a while will pull paint off. It's not your typical duct tape. I use it all the time. Only time will tell if the repair works. I plan to keep an eye on it and see if it holds up over time.

I'm now very curious as to what would cause the tape to tear in that spot now that I know it might not be an isolated incident.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The tape on mine is bunched up at the front, not actually torn. Had to have happened when the slide was coming out. It must be rubbing kind of hard or tape was not applied good at that area. Flap seal is working correctly - for now. My problem is the bulb seal that gets compressed by the flange when slide is ran all the way in. It has some of the putty sealant on it so I know it will continue to pull it out if I don't do something about it. I had thought about the Gorilla Tape, I do have some and will try to do something with it. I'm going to overlap it and put some up the inside of the flange and see if that does better.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

You might look at Eternabon tape it also works very well.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #5

I have had the same issue with the rear of the slide. The tape has peeled and the inner slide seal has actually torn. I caught it before the warranty period ended and the new slide seal has arrived. She goes in on 21st to have the new seal installed. Service manager tells me the slide is too tight on rear so will have to be adjusted after seal is replaced. I will be checking it very closely before I leave the dealer as my warranty is now expired and I want to confirm that nothing binds on slide activation. Will advise after repair os completed on how well they did with it. Be sure to have your slide out alignment checked rather than just putting on a piece of tape as that would just have the issue reappear later... perhaps after your warranty has expired.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #6

Thanks, sorry about your problem but sounds like it's under control and dealer is taking care of it. Mine is at dealer now for something else and I've requested they look at this issue while they have it. i see it as a definite workmanship thing and hoping they deal with it satisfactorily.