Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #1

Problems with mice

I have a 2018 Jayco Whitehawk. I have never had a problem with mice until now. What advice can you give on the best best way to get rid of and keep the mice out? Someone told me about a product called fresh cab. Has anyone out there tried this product with success? Seems pricey.
danandmary5657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #2

Home Depot sells a mint based spray product ( mice don’t like peppermint). For those that get in, I use the 1 gal mop bucket, half filled with antifreeze and suspend a beer can (coat hanger wire inserted through the middle longitudinally so it can rotate). Coat the beer can with some peanut butter and suspend this on top / across the bucket rim. Make a small “gangplank” that leads to the beer can. They’ll jump off the ramp to the beer can and roll off into the “drink”. No smell and unlimited capacity.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Home Depot sells a mint based spray product ( mice don’t like peppermint). For those that get in, I use the 1 gal mop bucket, half filled with antifreeze and suspend a beer can (coat hanger wire inserted through the middle longitudinally so it can rotate). Coat the beer can with some peanut butter and suspend this on top / across the bucket rim. Make a small “gangplank” that leads to the beer can. They’ll jump off the ramp to the beer can and roll off into the “drink”. No smell and unlimited capacity.
You might just attract more into the unit with the peanut butter????

Anyway, to repel mice, cotton balls dipped in peppermint oil spread around the inside will do the trick.

I have Diamond Kote Mouse repellent undercoating applied to my unit this fall..........guess what it smelled like, peppermint! Guaranteed for 10 years, comes with a bond that covers your insurance deductible if it happens to fail and you get some rodent damage.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #4

We use Bounce dryer sheets. Knock on wood, we've never had an issue. My wife uses almost 2 boxes of them things. She has them everywhere, drawers, floor, on and under the furniture, in the cabinets, everywhere. I will say, our 5th wheel is completely cleaned out except for the furniture and mattresses 30' away from our 5th wheel is my 12' x 16' shed. I catch mice in their in snap traps occasionally. I have 2 vintage snowmachines stored in the shed and those are lined with dryer sheets and I've never had a mouse in them.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandmary5657 View Post
I have a 2018 Jayco Whitehawk. I have never had a problem with mice until now. What advice can you give on the best best way to get rid of and keep the mice out? Someone told me about a product called fresh cab. Has anyone out there tried this product with success? Seems pricey.
Start with prevention, I sprinkle mothball flakeson the ground where I am going to be parking the camper then back the camper in the spot. I put extra flakes around the tires and jacks basically anything that the mice could climb to get to the camper. This repels mice and insects.

Now extermination: In a plastic container w/lid MIX: 1 CUP Corn meal and or oatmeal etc and 1 CUP Plaster of Paris OR Baking Soda. You can add 1/2 CUP sugar or powdered chocolate as an attractant to the poison. Mix everything thoroughly. Place 1/2 cup portions wherever you see mice or droppings. Check regularly for signs of consumption and dead rodents.

If you use plaster of Paris the concoction will harden in the mouses stomach killing them very quickly. If you choose to use baking soda, the Bicarbonate in the baking soda will react with the stomach acids that in turn will create a carbon dioxide gas. Rats and mice are unable to pass the gas it builds up in the system and causes an internal blockage or rupture killing them quickly!

Both mixtures kill very very quickly... Far quicker than most poisons do.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #6

Buy stainless steel steel wool scubbers, pest resistant foam insulation in a can, rubber gloves and eye protection.
Go under your rv and using a strong light and taking your time stuff stainless steel wool in every possible opening 1/8 inch or bigger then foaming the wool into place. Pipes, wires, cracks, any kind of opening. To that I added metal mesh over or inside every opening such as furnace, fridge, water heater, etc. Don't forget to block the hole your 30 or 50 amp cable comes out of if it is plugged in.
NOTHING keeps them out like not being able to get in in the first place!
Tons of mice advice available in the search bar above.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #7

We've been using Fresh Cab for years and never had one sign of a mouse, bug or anything else. We store our camper in a barn next to a hayfield, so there are mice around.

I've bought it at farm stores, Menards, Walmart, ACE and Amazon. Each box contains four pouches. We toss them on the floor and under the sink. Box says they last for three months, but we get a new box when we put it away for the winter and another in the spring.

Works like a champ!

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:12 PM   #8

Do you store w/ shoreline 120vac? If so, consider VICTOR ELECTRONIC RODENT REPELLENT? (LOWES/ HD. After recent event in my 20yo rig, found/ sealed GAP in shoreline storage box, (i.e. entry point) and installed the Victor, so far, so good...
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #9

If you don't have mice to begin with, any of the snake oils will (may) keep them out. But once they are in your trailer and have established a home you got a mouse house.

Everybody has a cure, but truth be told none of them work. All the claims are bogus.

Strip the inside of the trailer, clear it out and ensure you have no critters anymore. Then, find out the port of entry and seal it up tight.

Do a thorough inspection semi-annually to ensure they don't (can't) return.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post

Everybody has a cure, but truth be told none of them work. All the claims are bogus.
And you would know this, how? Seems you're a self-appointed authority on the issue!

Please enlighten us, thanks in advance!
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
And you would know this, how? Seems you're a self-appointed authority on the issue!

Please enlighten us, thanks in advance!
My authority comes from thirty five years of personal experience with an RV permanently set up in a wilderness area filled with meeces to pieces.

All internet threads are merely someone's opinion. If your opinion is different, tell us what you know.

(PS - are you old enough to know what meeces to pieces means?)
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #12

I have been using Fresh Cab for 5 years now. I have not had any mice. Now that I have written this I am going to check on trailer tomorrow.
bobsamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #13

The way I figure it, if the mice want to get in, they will, especially since they can squeeze their way in through the tiniest of openings. So, I use the old reliable, cheap wooden mouse trap, baited with just a touch of peanut butter. Granted, you have to check the traps. So, I put 3 or 4 them in and around the entry door where I can see them and reach them without having to get in my 5er (or even put the entry steps down). Check them regularly when you get a nice day. Once winter sets in here in northeast Ohio, their little carcass will freeze solid if I go a few weeks without checking.

Some winters I trap a couple, some none. Regardless, I haved no damage from them even if I end up trapping some. My theory is once inside, food is their main motivator and my peanut butter treat is their last.

BTW, I store my RV in my yard. If you use a storage facility, this method may be a bit more troublesome.
Youngsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #14

We had mice problems with our Class C. When we got our previous FW I went underneath with spray foam and hit any open crack I could see. Never had any mice in it in 2 1/2 years. I will do the same to our recently purchased Jayco.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post

(PS - are you old enough to know what meeces to pieces means?)
I am.
Attached Thumbnails
2063773455_a3444676e4_z.jpg  

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #16

We recently had to move our TT from our seasonal site (no mouse issues for 3 years) to my parents' backyard, they have mice issues. I bought 3 different products. First, I put Copper Mesh into every opening I could find around the camper. Then I sprayed a mixture of Peppermint Oil, Spearmint Oil and Cinnamon Oil all around the TT; on the tires, on the trailer frame, all over the undercarriage and every where something on the TT touched the ground. I also sprayed it inside the camper along the walls and behind all the cabinets. Finally, around every spot the TT touched the ground, I put a few pellets of Rodenticide. I put a couple around all 4 tires and all around the tongue and all the cinder blocks I used to support the tongue, and stabilizers. A few days later I went back to check on it and a few of the pellets were gone, so I replaced them. I did not want to put anything in the TT that might attract them, even if it was poison.

My parents use the plug in deterrents, but they only seem to work for a little while. The mice left their garage shortly after they plugged them in, but a few weeks later, they were back. So I didn't bother with them. We use Dryer Sheets to keep spiders out. They definitely work for spiders as they only place we ever found spiders is where we forgot to put a Dryer Sheet. So there are a lot of Dryer Sheets in the TT already.

Hopefully, all that I did will be enough to keep the little critters out.

My parents' never had a mouse problem until the neighbor's 3 outdoor cats passed away. I asked my parents if they could get some cats

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #17

michael.g,
I am a cat lover. Have two of my own. But, when it comes to the RV. These are far superior.

They are about a buck a piece or less. They do not leave half chewed up mice pieces/parts around. And, if you do not like to empty them, just toss them away with the expired critter. I empty and reuse, so my cost per mouse eliminated is in the pennies. See my previous post on how I protect my 5er each winter.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #18

Not sure my pic came through on my last post. Here is a link to the old reliable trap. Works every time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Victor-M...154W/203736586
Old 01-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngsters View Post
Not sure my pic came through on my last post. Here is a link to the old reliable trap. Works every time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Victor-M...154W/203736586
I've had them steal the bait off those several times. I must have caught around 30 with the peanut butter on a spinning can over a bucket routine when we had our Class C. Then neighbors moved in with cats that were licking all the peanut butter off, so went to spray foam in every nook and cranny I could find in the FW. No doubt the cats help in mouse prevention, but they are also peeing on the tires and elsewhere.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
I've had them steal the bait off those several times. I must have caught around 30 with the peanut butter on a spinning can over a bucket routine when we had our Class C. Then neighbors moved in with cats that were licking all the peanut butter off, so went to spray foam in every nook and cranny I could find in the FW. No doubt the cats help in mouse prevention, but they are also peeing on the tires and elsewhere.
Yes, I have discovered un-sprung traps with stolen peanut butter bait. To combat such mice, should have mentioned I will sometimes bait a trap with a Cheerio super glued to the bait bar. Nevertheless, your spinning peanut butter beer can is a great idea!

Once considered having a cat in the RV to remove mice through the winter. Just could not figure an easy way to keep it fed, provide litter facilities and keep the cat from freezing solid.