Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Ahh... An educational tool as well. I like that!!

It's completely a matter of personal choice. One is NOT BETTER than the other. They both perform the same EXACT protection.
The only difference is on the hard wired unit you can get a remote readout.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #42

One thing that I have not seen mentioned, the hardwired protects from a fault in the umbilical cord from the camper to the pedestal. I have heard a couple of reports of the cord having a short or dropping a neutral from use/abuse. Portable will not protect from that....
Old 01-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #43

Ours -

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
The only difference is on the hard wired unit you can get a remote readout.

Yes which I have no reason to look at regularly.
I check it when I arrive at my seasonal site for the week/weekend while I’m turning on the water.
I look for any events that may have occurred while I wasn’t there during the week.
Other than that, or perhaps an outage while I’m there, I don’t look at it and don’t need a remote display in the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Yes which I have no reason to look at regularly.
I check it when I arrive at my seasonal site for the week/weekend while I’m turning on the water.
I look for any events that may have occurred while I wasn’t there during the week.
Other than that, or perhaps an outage while I’m there, I don’t look at it and don’t need a remote display in the camper.

I work at campgrounds, and I like to keep an eye on voltage (typically a drop) so we can take appropriate action. I also find it interesting to see just how much power devices use, but I understand not wanting to monitor it and just let it work. Good news is they make a hardwired unit with out the remote also...

Old 01-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I work at campgrounds, and I like to keep an eye on voltage (typically a drop) so we can take appropriate action. I also find it interesting to see just how much power devices use, but I understand not wanting to monitor it and just let it work. Good news is they make a hardwired unit with out the remote also...
I also like to monitor power usage of different appliances, etc.

Knowing how close I am to my 30 amp limit is something I personally like to see.

They all work well. Just my preference.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #47

You guys must have more time on your hands than me when camping- I just want to plug my portable in at the pedestal and forget about it ... my monitoring is limited to checking out my wife, keeping an eye on the kids, cooking good dinner and maintaining a full vodka tonic.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
You guys must have more time on your hands than me when camping- I just want to plug my portable in at the pedestal and forget about it ... my monitoring is limited to checking out my wife, keeping an eye on the kids, cooking good dinner and maintaining a full vodka tonic.

I like the way you think!! Especially the vodka tonic...so long as there's fresh lime in it!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #49

Always fresh lime and preferably made with Reyka or Tito’s [emoji1303]

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #50

Well, let me say I’m more of a gin guy. But tonic and squeeze of lime? Bring it on!
EMS, mine is a hardwire, the remote is just below eye level when standing on the ground at the front door. As I enter, I pause a few seconds to let the display run through its report while the dear Bride gets the tonic from the fridge and gin from the freezer.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post

After 50 years, not much left to check out, kids are long gone, don't drink, and I do cook, and I can glance at the display while doing all that...I can also monitor the power late in the afternoon on a hot day and know if were going to have issues or not, and, I get paid to do all this Life is good

Old 01-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Okay since this turned into a pissing contest I will say that a bypass switch is a good & necessary feature for a hardwired unit. I have to say that the torturous scenario with the rain sounds pretty crappy, even though it never happened to me. One last thing in defense of the portable unit is that it can be useful in other applications if I needed protection of other electronic devices & if I sell my camper I can keep it & use it for something else.

I will keep my hardwired for my next one as well. Just because it's hardwired doesn't mean it cannot be removed. If I sell privately, it'll be a bargaining tool, if I trade in, it's coming out no matter what. Like everyone else has already stated, it's personal preference. For me, it's one less thing I have to remember/do during set-up and take down and I don't have to worry about locking it up so nobody walks off with it. I also like to watch the remote display so I know how certain things affect current draw.

That being said, all these comments have me thinking that maybe a portable one would be a good idea as a back-up plus I would have one for anything else that I might want to monitor. Only thing I can really think of at this point is someone that I might go camping with that doesn't have one.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #53

That's my plan, a backup pedestal version. With 30a connectors I'll swap out quickly.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #54

Just purchased the 30A hardwired with readout from Amazon that can be mounted on a wall separate from the actual unit itself. thought about the portable but too much of a chance of someone walking off with it. Just received it so have not installed it yet but reading the instructions seems pretty simple. And it has a lifetime warranty so that was also a deciding factor.
campitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by campitout View Post
Just purchased the 30A hardwired with readout from Amazon that can be mounted on a wall separate from the actual unit itself. thought about the portable but too much of a chance of someone walking off with it. Just received it so have not installed it yet but reading the instructions seems pretty simple. And it has a lifetime warranty so that was also a deciding factor.
How was the package when you received it from Amazon? The security seals on both ends were opened. I assumed that someone opened and returned it before so I ordered a second. That one came in the same way. I installed one and had no issues.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
How was the package when you received it from Amazon? The security seals on both ends were opened. I assumed that someone opened and returned it before so I ordered a second. That one came in the same way. I installed one and had no issues.
Mine was sealed..

Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #57

Wow, a number of comments about having "back-up" EMS units. I've had three of these through the years and never had a problem. Are failures that common?

Supposedly Progressive Industries (who makes the EMS) recently changed ownership. Heard rumors that the lifetime warranty is now only valid if the hard-wired EMS is "professionally" installed by an electrician or RV dealership. Any truth to this? I've been meaning to call PI to get the scoop but keep forgetting.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Wow, a number of comments about having "back-up" EMS units. I've had three of these through the years and never had a problem. Are failures that common?

Supposedly Progressive Industries (who makes the EMS) recently changed ownership. Heard rumors that the lifetime warranty is now only valid if the hard-wired EMS is "professionally" installed by an electrician or RV dealership. Any truth to this? I've been meaning to call PI to get the scoop but keep forgetting.
Here is what the Progressive web site says under warranty.

The follow are excluded and not covered by the Lifetime Warranty and/or void the Lifetime Warranty:

Improper installation of a hard wired unit. We strongly recommend that a competent electrical
professional perform the installation of hard wired units.
Products installed or used in an application other than an RV
Products operated outside systems compatible and compliant with RV surge protectors
Products used in a manner inconsistent with the operating instructions
Use of replacement parts or accessories that are non-compliant with Progressive Industries
specifications
Damage to the surge protection unit, such as burnt, charred or melted components resulting from
products connected to poorly maintained power sources, power cords or adapters
Improper use including, but not limited to failure to disconnect upon departure from power source
Failure to ensure electrical plugs and receptacles are clean and all connections maintain a snug
fit when plugged in
Failure to provide continuous maintenance in accordance with the maintenance instructions
provided by Progressive Industries
Any unauthorized modifications or repairs
Maintenance of hard wired units performed by anyone other than a qualified RV dealer
All acts of God and/or natural disasters including, but not limited to lightning damage, hurricanes,
floods and earthquakes
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #59

Thanks, Sundancer330! Haven't visited the PI website in years. Didn't know they had this info online.

Good to know they don't specifically state they'll void the warranty if not installed professionally. However, there's enough gotchas there to getcha you on something if they wanted to.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I assumed I would buy the portable one, but reviews on Amazon have me considering the hardwired. Does anyone have the hardwired one?

Your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1
I have the progressive 30 amp portable unit. but i have it installed inside my electric bay. it was a simple install. Now it won't disappear from the pedestal, it's locked inside, yes I have to go into the bay to read it, but If I replace my coach down the road I can take the surge suppressor with me. Once you install the hard wired unit you have to leave it with the coach and buy a new one. Either way get a good one and never camp without surge protection.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote