Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #1

Progressive EMS

I assumed I would buy the portable one, but reviews on Amazon have me considering the hardwired. Does anyone have the hardwired one?

Your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1

Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I assumed I would buy the portable one, but reviews on Amazon have me considering the hardwired. Does anyone have the hardwired one?

Your thoughts?

I originally had the portable one, but have recently installed a hard wired model. I like the read out especially at the campgrounds I'm working at.

It was a PIA to walk outside to see what was going on in your system

Can't beat progressive industries. All field serviceable so all you do is call them they send you the part and you can plug and play..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:13 PM   #3

I just install the hardwire last week, having just purchased it from Amazon.

Took about 90 minutes due to the tight spot I had to install it in. I bought it for the support, field replaceable components, and included remote readout. After installing it, we took off for the weekend and it was great to be able to monitor pedestal output.

Interesting to find the TT draws less than 1 amp when parked and hooked up at home.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:21 AM   #4

I’ve had hardwired Pi units on several rigs. Wouldn’t have it any other way. Easy install. Just have to find ideal wire routes to where you install the remote display. I’ve also made a few bezels for the displays to hide the wire and make the display look more professional.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

Your thoughts?

I just purchased the 50 AMP hardwired one and dropped off my 2018 Seneca at the Freightliner dealer last night to have it installed. Everyone says it is easy to install, but I am not very handy when it comes to things like this so I did not want to take a chance of messing it up.

Based on the reviews and information I read on this unit, it seems like a nice insurance policy to protect your RV or TT.

Here is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1

I liked this one because the digital readout is in the RV so I can see what is going on without going outside.
Bob, Marge and Whitney (German Shepard Dog)
Rafstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

I have the portable Progressive PMS and am happy with it. It has caught a couple of problems already so I would not go with out it. I like that I can just take it out of the system or replace it easily if needed. That and I didn't feel like doing the install when I purchased it. My only fear is forgetting it on the campground pedestal when I am 300 miles down the road. So far that has t happened

I keep my Seneca at home and plug in to the house electrical system. I have been using the PMS but am wondering if I really need it while at home. Any thoughts?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #7

I started out with a portable PMS. I had a 30 amp outlet put in at home and, when I plugged in the PMS, found the outlet was miswired. The electrician had his new helper wire it and quickly rewired it. Proved the value, especially being able to verify proper wiring and voltage at the pedestal on the road. Also will provide protection when using generator.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post

I keep my Seneca at home and plug in to the house electrical system. I have been using the PMS but am wondering if I really need it while at home. Any thoughts?
I would use it at home if plugged in, you can have the same problems at home with power as a campground, surge, high/low voltage, etc.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would use it at home if plugged in, you can have the same problems at home with power as a campground, surge, high/low voltage, etc.
Yeah, what's what I figured too but was hoping I was being over cautious. Thanks
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #10

I installed a hardwired Progressive EMS a few years ago and love it. We have been to a few CGs where the voltage drops way down and even one that had the pedestal mis-wired the day before we arrived. Installing the EMS was a bit of a PIA in the 26BH due to the accessibility of the main feed line but I'll do it again if we buy another TT.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #11

I’ve had both. First was the pole-mount 30A for the hybrid. We kept it for 2 years then upgraded to our 5th and I bought the hard-wired 50A (both were EMS). I prefer the hard-wired version since I don’t have to do anything extra when setting up, I can’t forget to pack it as I break down, I know it won’t go on a “walk-about”, it has a remote display that I can easily see as I enter and using it is no longer an option. Wrestling the power cables during the install was the most challenging, those thick wires are stiff.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #12

I have the newer portable one with the weather cover over the plug. As long as I have power I rarely check the display. I have noted that after going home for the week, then returning on the weekend (seasonal site), the unit has thrown some low voltage errors, so I know it's doing it's job. I looked the hardwired version, but it would be a hassle to install it in my rig due to the positioning of the power cord. I'm very happy with the portable one. It gets plugged in and is running 24/7 from mid May to mid October.
If i trade or sell the rig, I won't have to worry about it either. They are both identical in functionality according to Progressive website.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #13

Installed the hard wired one last year and really like it. I can monitor current draw to determine if I can run an additional item without tripping a breaker. I installed it after the autoformer and ATS (genset Auto Transfer Switch) so if the genset goes wonky it'll shut off the power.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I have the portable Progressive PMS and am happy with it. It has caught a couple of problems already so I would not go with out it. I like that I can just take it out of the system or replace it easily if needed. That and I didn't feel like doing the install when I purchased it. My only fear is forgetting it on the campground pedestal when I am 300 miles down the road. So far that has t happened

I have that same worry so to do my best to avoid leaving it behind I make myself pull unit from power stand and immediately stow it, then come back and stow the cord. I won't set it down.
I used mine at home but now that I know that the outlet I use is functioning properly I leave the EMS off. If something goes wrong with house power it should trip a breaker.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #15

Hard wired with the remote display. In my 23RLSW I was planning to change out the factory sofa to a more comfortable one.

The wiring was behind the sofa so I did both at the same time.

Had to change out the power cord to a portable version to get rid of the box under the original sofa.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0575.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	36837

Name:	DSCN1105.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	36838

Name:	DSCN1112.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	36839

Name:	DSCN1121.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	36840

Name:	DSCN1126.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	36841

Name:	DSCN1132.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	36842

Name:	DSCN1133.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	36843
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #16

We have hard wired and love it, one less thing to think about for me.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #17

Sure wish they would hurry up and begin to market a wireless display model. If they hold true to their modular design layout, one would hope the wireless display could be retrofitted to the hard wired models in use today.

I am installing twist lock connectors on my hard wire, will add a set to the shore line so if I change campers or have to pull the hardwire hardware I can remove it and reinstall it with ease.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Sure wish they would hurry up and begin to market a wireless display model.
Ding, ding, ding!
Yes, plug the EMS into an xmitter and a new display/receiver on the other end. Please just take my money!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #19

I have the hardwired PMS and definitely recommend it. You never have to worry about leaving it behind or having it stolen. Having the display inside the trailer is nice as well.
2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 4X4 Vortec 8.1L
windchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #20

I have the portable & its plug & play, that's it. I use a good quality plastic bag over the unit with a small hole cut on top so the plug wire gets through it & keeps the rain off. I lock it on the pedestal with a chain & padlock. No need to always be seeing the display. When the lights go out I walk outside to inspect the power pedestal anyway to see if a circuit breaker tripped off. Great unit & no regrets that its a portable. I can use it for other plug ins if needed. I would buy the portable again if needed. I used it for well over 170 camping nights without problems. It saved my unit a few times from under surge.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote