Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES EMS-PT50X Portable

So broke down and bought the PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector (50 A) for our upcoming trip this summer. To my shock and amazement i was not expecting this thing to be as big as it was. HOLY COW!!!!!! this thing is huge. Hopefully it works. I didn't want the hard wired one just in case it quit working.
jcrammell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:26 AM   #2

I have been using the PT50 Series for the past 9 years full time. Started off with the PT50C and PI upgraded me to the PT50X with warranty exchanges. I actually have 2 of them. One for full time use and a spare when the primary one has to go in for service. This has happened to me 3-4 times over the past 9 years and no damage to my rig when each event happened.

I will never ever plug in anywhere without my PT50X in line and this includes my home base site where I have had incoming power issues a couple of times that was the power company's problem.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:39 AM   #3

I'm sure you will feel better knowing that your trailer is protected. The hard wired units can be set to bypass mode in the event that there is a problem, until Progressive gets you up and running.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #4

Haven't been using mine quite as long as edatlanta, but like him won't plug in without it. I also have two, though one is a 30A that we bought with our first TT. Still use it at home and if we're at a CG that only has 30A service.

Starting our sixth season, and never any issues with either or them, but both have saved us a couple of times.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Me too! It's a great addition to any rv. Be aware that some larger rigs come with them new so verify if moving up to a larger unit.

I thought mine was damaged due to some torrential rains that came up during the night last month ,but somehow moisture affected it. I forgot to put a bag over it. When it dried out, it started working as normal.

I contacted PI online and found that their lifetime warranty applies to only original owners. They no longer repair them as before, they moved out of NC to another state and if you have one that was purchased new, they simply send a new replacement.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #6

I have had my PT50X for a year and a half and it has been flawless. The key word is “Portable”. I always run the cable lock through my power cord handle, through the metal collar on the PT50, and through any hole on the Pedestal.

When breaking camp on my very first outing using my new gadget I unlocked the cable, then stowed the power cord and headed for home. Two days later I discovered to my dismay I had left my new $360.00 PT50X at the campground. I made a panic call to the campground and to my amazement they found it still plugged into the pedestal...luckily no one had been assigned to my spot! I made the 360 mile round trip to retrieve it the next day.

Now it is the very first thing that is stowed once the circuit breakers are turned off. So, being portable does have its disadvantages.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrammell View Post
. . . I didn't want the hard wired one just in case it quit working.
No doubt a very small minority of folks have had problems with their PI EMS. Nothing is infallible. Realistically, a PI EMS is no more likely to die than anything else in your trailer. I've owned 3 or 4 of them over the last 8 years and never had a problem. Always hardwire them--no worries, no concerns---out of sight, out of mind---24/7/365.

For those who have genuine concerns about their PI EMS breaking down, why not just install a PI EMS (doesn't matter whether it's a hardwire or portable version) inside your trailer using male/female power plugs (30 or 50 amp)? Have a problem, simply unplug it, bypass it entirely and carry on---all in the privacy of your trailer.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
Haven't been using mine quite as long as edatlanta, but like him won't plug in without it. I also have two, though one is a 30A that we bought with our first TT. Still use it at home and if we're at a CG that only has 30A service.

Starting our sixth season, and never any issues with either or them, but both have saved us a couple of times.
Both of my issues at my home base site, which is in a residential area, were unknown to the power company. The first one was a transformer than was providing over 132v at various times of the day. The second was a high voltage spike early in the am, again 132v+ since this is the voltage where the PT50X shuts you off. When the lineman came out to check out the first high voltage issue he wanted to see how I determined the problem existed. After he verified the problem he wanted the model number and source for the PT50X so he could order one to use with his personal RV. The high voltage spike required a bit more effort to get the power company to check it out side it only happened very early in the morning and only a couple of times a day. I had to get to one of their transmission engineers and convinced him I wasn't crazy. They installed a recording voltmeter on my meter and the very next day he called and told me they saw the problem and were trying to figure out what was causing it. The problem was solved a couple of days later and I was thanked for being such a pain to get their attention.

I will never ever plug in anywhere without my PT50X in line first.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:56 AM   #9

I have one of these. Thankfully.

Had bad storms rolling through yesterday. The PI interrupted power threee times.
All low voltage scenarios.

Beautiful Wife

Ladd & Stacy
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote