Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #1

Progressive Industries EMS Surge Protector

Ordering my surge protector EMS-HW50C today on EBay during their 15% off sale, just a FYI if anyone is looking to save some money on one. Should end up being around $270 out the door.

Question is, where are you all installing these in the Jayco? I installed the 30 amp model in my old Keystone Cougar last year which was a piece of cake, but that had the fixed power cable that was stored under a cabinet. The Jayco 28BHS that I'm picking up next week had the power connector in the back where the bunks are, so I didn't think that would be a good place for it since I wouldn't be able to see the indicator after it's installed.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:35 AM   #2
dee

Put mine behind the panel. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...50c-55802.html
Old 08-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #3

Be careful where you purchase online, if the seller is not an authorized dealer Progressive will not honor the warranty.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
That looks perfect, thanks. I guess that's what I'll do too.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Be careful where you purchase online, if the seller is not an authorized dealer Progressive will not honor the warranty.
Well after researching this I just noticed if you have an "authorized dealer" install it for you then you have a lifetime warranty. If you install it yourself lifetime warranty is voided. Now that's a bunch of crap, buying it anyway though.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan View Post
Well after researching this I just noticed if you have an "authorized dealer" install it for you then you have a lifetime warranty. If you install it yourself lifetime warranty is voided. Now that's a bunch of crap, buying it anyway though.
Double check that because the three places I found that gave details on the warranty didn't say anything about having an authorized dealer "install" the unit (including the Progressive website):

Rv Surge Protection | United States | Progressive Industries, Inc. | Warranty

https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.c...stries-EMS.pdf

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....11eZjn5ORS.pdf

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #7

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Double check that because the three places I found that gave details on the warranty didn't say anything about having an authorized dealer "install" the unit (including the Progressive website):

Rv Surge Protection | United States | Progressive Industries, Inc. | Warranty

https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.c...stries-EMS.pdf

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....11eZjn5ORS.pdf
That was what I saw on one review from a customer on Amazon. Sent an email to Progressive to verify, but I missed the last note from that customer that said they have now changed that policy. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #9

Another question for some of you with newer trailers. Do you have to run the surge protector in bypass mode still when connected to a generator? I had to do that with my EMS HW30C when I tried to run my 2010 Keystone off an older generator for some reason.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan View Post
Another question for some of you with newer trailers. Do you have to run the surge protector in bypass mode still when connected to a generator? I had to do that with my EMS HW30C when I tried to run my 2010 Keystone off an older generator for some reason.
Most generators will force the PI EMS (even the latest versions) to shutdown power output and display an E2 (open ground) error. Yes, you can place the PI EMS in bypass mode and operate the generator, but the PI EMS will no longer provide any electrical protection.

Some folks use a "bonding" plug as a workaround. This allows the PI EMS to provide electrical protection while the generator provides power to the trailer---no need to use the PI EMS bypass mode. This plug bonds the neutral and ground together. The bonding plug is plugged into an unused 120 volt outlet on the generator. There is some controversy about using these things. Suggest googling the pros and cons before use.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote