Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

Angry Propane/Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Anyone else have problems with Propane/Carbon Monoxide combo alarm in 2012 units???

Ours has seemed overly sensitive to things like non-aerosol hair spray (pump bottle), cologne, perfume, etc. since coming off the lot. This last weekend I had to bleed the stove to get it to burn as it had set with tanks off several weeks. I turned one burner the wrong way and not burning it was on low - the wife smelled propane and questioned me - aired out camper and all was fine but alarm never went off????!!!!!!! Then the next night it was one of those where you needed no air or heat just close the door and relax. About 3 hours after going to sleep it starts alarming - has done this before but this time I could not get it to clear and stop alarming. We could smell no propane, tried cracking door (raining) and turned on fan - nothing would stop this stupid alarm except a pair of wire cutters! (We had worked our vendor booth at a Xmas festival over 14 hours and this was not the right time for this thing to do its false alarms!!) I don't like disabling this type of alarm but it appears this one has been a problem from day one and is now gone totally bad! We have battery powered fire alarm and carbon monoxide alarms both on the wall that I added as extra safety so we were not totally without protection (they neither one ever went off).

Our previous rig had propane only alarm with us adding the battery powered fire and carbon monoxide alarms. I am going to talk to Jayco next week but am seriously considering changing to the propane only alarm. Any thoughts or suggestions???
Charolaisbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #2

If you don't have any luck with Jayco sending a freebie to you, try contacting the MFG of the alarm itself. I wouldn't be surprised if the MFG sent one to you free of charge. Usually the sensor inside is good for 10 yrs. Sounds like yours is defective. This is a safety device.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #3

i have the same problem with mine. However ours has gone off a couple of times the last two times we used it. We were using the furnace both times. I am going to have it looked at next spring before we camp again.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

The one in my 2011 started going off for no reason earlier this year and I ended up cutting the wire. I ordered a new one from Amazon and replaced it. Didn't think to call the manufacturer to see if they'd replace it for free.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

I was going to do the same thing, but I don't know much about these units.I figured I would rather be safe than sorry and have the dealer check it out. I don't want to wake up to find one of the kids dead from carbon monoxide...maybe I am just paranoid.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #6

These are very sensitive devices and actually become more sensitive the older they are. Most of them say they should be replaced every 3 - 5 years. If you look close enough at them they will have a date they recommend they be changed. I learned this as ours was installed in late 2010 and started to give us issues this summer. I was able to get by for a while, but it finally acted up so much on our trip over Thanksgiving that I replaced it. When we purchased the new one the guy at the RV shop said this is very common problem.

Good luck with your issue and look for a date on your current device.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #7

Do you know where the date is posted on them. The last trailer I had was 13 years old and never had an issue with it.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #8

Mine is a Safe-T-Alert and it is printed in small print on the front on when it should be changed. On the back of the detector it had a date when it was manufactured.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #9

thanks weekender!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

I had the same issue in mine. Propane kept giving me false alarms and finally just stayed on. I unhooked the power wire to shut it off. Contacted the manufacturer who said send it in for them to check, at my cost, but it only has a 1 year warranty.

I'm thinking of getting one just for CO, not propane.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

Thanks - glad to know it is not just my rig! I have not pulled the seat apart to look on back for a manufacturing date but it says on front to replace at 60 months after leaving the dealer. That would put me at about 1/2 of the expected life as that was right at 30 months ago. I'll post back after I can get the phone calls made.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

Add me to the list.

What is everyone paying for a replacement?

I tried emailing the manufacturer, and they would not call or email me back.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKong View Post
Add me to the list.

What is everyone paying for a replacement?

I tried emailing the manufacturer, and they would not call or email me back.
Depending upon which brand and model you have they typically run around $75 - $100. I paid a little over $100 for mine, but it occurred while on vacation so I probably paid a little more than I should have.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #14

A lot of Carbon Monoxide detectors used in your stick house are good for 7 years and then they will start beeping and have to be replaced.

Is a propane detector for carbon monoxide?
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #15

Based on my research, the RV detectors come as a Propane only, Propane/Carbon Monoxide Combo or a Carbon Monoxide only. The unit installed in my Jayco was a Propane/Carbon Monoxide Combo.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #16

After reading this.. It seems that the manufacturer of the detectors had a bad run in 2012-2013. We have sold a lot of replacements this year for models that should not have gone bad yet, across all camper manufacturers (customers that bought campers from us were given replacements at no cost). It may be worth it to talk to your dealer or the alarm manufacturer.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #17
Site Team

I replaced m 4 year old unit after it woke me several times with false alarms.

Identical replacement on Amazon for around $75.

Not worth the time to fight for a free replacement to me.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote