Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #1

Propane grille connection

I am currently using 1lb propane bottles with my portable no name grille but would like to use the TT quick connect because it would definitely be cheaper than purchasing 1lb bottles every camping trip. The grille has a regulator on it and it is my understanding the TT propane is already regulated, so just getting a hose to connect to my grille won't work. Is there a hose out there that can go from the TT quick connect directly to my grille? I've attached a pic to show what I currently have. Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4009.jpg  
Kaliona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #2

You might want to look into something like the Camco Low Pressure Conversion Kit:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../CAM57638.html

It comes with the hose and the control knob, and it looks like it will thread right into the burner orifice. It says it's for the Olympian 4100 grill, but I think those threaded fittings are universal.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:12 AM   #3

I have a Weber Q for camping trips, but did not want to remove the regulator on the grill as I use the Q at the house as well so I got a small 1 gal tank from CW and it lasts all season. I grill alot when camping, usually 80%+ so... Just an option, the tank does not weight much or take up much room, so might consider that.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
Site Team

I modified mine years ago to use the lp on my rig but I came across a small propane tank. I just use that with a regulator and if I ever need it, it will work on the RV supply in a pinch.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

I modified both my Coleman Roadtrip grill and my Blackstone griddle to work off my trailers quick connect. In both cases it was necessary to delete the regulators from the portables and remove pieces from them which made it a permanent modification unless you purchased replacement regulators.

The convenience of using the RV tanks vs. carrying additional propane is well worth it to me...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I have a Weber Q for camping trips, but did not want to remove the regulator on the grill as I use the Q at the house as well so I got a small 1 gal tank from CW and it lasts all season. I grill alot when camping, usually 80%+ so... Just an option, the tank does not weight much or take up much room, so might consider that.
I had the same thought until I realised I had other propane appliances at home. Now I have a 20lb tank with a regulator and a quick connect at home too. I can quick connect cookers, fire pits, patio heaters, and space heaters to my TT when on the road, or to the 20lb tank at home. No more little expensive bottles, and I've got a simple connection for anything that needs propane (and a misc pile of un-used regulators).
Old 08-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I modified both my Coleman Roadtrip grill and my Blackstone griddle to work off my trailers quick connect. In both cases it was necessary to delete the regulators from the portables and remove pieces from them which made it a permanent modification unless you purchased replacement regulators.

The convenience of using the RV tanks vs. carrying additional propane is well worth it to me...
I'm afraid to try and modify the regulator by removing pieces from it. I was hoping there might be a hose out there already with a quick connect that goes to the TT connection, and the other end similar to the outlet port of my grilles current regulator. Hard to see in the pic, but it is simply a keyed male fitting that just slides into the grilles female burner tube.
Kaliona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliona View Post
I'm afraid to try and modify the regulator by removing pieces from it. I was hoping there might be a hose out there already with a quick connect that goes to the TT connection, and the other end similar to the outlet port of my grilles current regulator. Hard to see in the pic, but it is simply a keyed male fitting that just slides into the grilles female burner tube.
You have to modify the regulator because the TT propane supply is already regulated. If you don't remove the regulator from the grill you are modifying it will be double regulated and most likely won't light or if it does won't stay lit...
Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 PM   #9

My problem is that the hose I purchased does not go into the quick connect under the TT. It is a hose that is supposed to replace the disposable bottle.
2015 F150 Lariat 4X4 Supercrew 3.5L 3.55 axle
dbpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpowell View Post
My problem is that the hose I purchased does not go into the quick connect under the TT. It is a hose that is supposed to replace the disposable bottle.
You need more than just a hose for the conversion . There are several fittings and then the hose you want is a quick connect style. Most of the fittings are available from a hardware or plumbing supply house.

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #11

I have had grills similar to yours and don't believe you can make the conversion. Your regulator also has the burner orifice built into it. I can't see any way that a low pressure can be made to work. If you can find a way for the Camco kit, mentioned above, to fit up to your grill it may work since it has an orifice.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #12

Since I never intend to need the regulator because I am using the line on the back of my trailer. I just used a hack saw, cut thru the tubing about 1 inch from the regulator, used a hose clamp to connect the hose to the propane grille side connector (it's low pressure)
Tested for leaks, and connect directly to the connector on the back of my trailer.
By the way, my grille has the burner controls on the grille, not on the regulator.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #13

I added a special connector for my Blackstone Griddle. I already had the quick connect at the trailer so I bought a hose with a male and female quick connect. The connector at the grille was a different story. A great big PIA. Interested to hear how you make out with your conversion.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #14

Here is how I converted my Blackstone Griddle - Got a bunch of conflicting info from other sites but pulled it off with these steps / parts...

Search for this fitting on Amazon (this is most important hard to find fitting); it is one that connects to end of pipe that comes with Blackstone Regulator; all other fittings are NPT fittings that can be found at most hardware stores or gas company stores:

Trico FA-1007 Brass Central Lubrication Straight Adapter, 5/16"-24 Female x 1/8" NPT Male

https://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-...F8%22+NPT+Male

FasParts 1/4" Female NPT to 1/8" Female NPT FIP FPT Reducing Coupling Brass Pipe Fitting Fuel / Air / Water / Boat / Gas / Oil WOG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Camco Propane Quick-Connect Fitting -For Use with Low-Pressure Propane Systems, Easy Install 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug (59903)

SHINESTAR 12feet RV Quick Connect Propane Hose Extension -1/4” Safety Shutoff Valve & Male Full Flow Plug for Low Pressure System

Instructions:

1. Remove regulator from end of pipe that came with Griddle and insert Trico fitting on threaded end of pipe.

2. Install other 2 fittings.

3. Connect hose and Griddle after making connections.

4. Connect to low pressure on camper and turn on propane, use soapy water and check for any leaks at all connections including camper's quick connect.

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #15

U Tube has several how to video,s HD has the fittings. Did mine three years ago do not miss those green bottles! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Here is how I converted my Blackstone Griddle - Got a bunch of conflicting info from other sites but pulled it off with these steps / parts...

Search for this fitting on Amazon (this is most important hard to find fitting); it is one that connects to end of pipe that comes with Blackstone Regulator; all other fittings are NPT fittings that can be found at most hardware stores or gas company stores:

Trico FA-1007 Brass Central Lubrication Straight Adapter, 5/16"-24 Female x 1/8" NPT Male

https://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-...F8%22+NPT+Male

FasParts 1/4" Female NPT to 1/8" Female NPT FIP FPT Reducing Coupling Brass Pipe Fitting Fuel / Air / Water / Boat / Gas / Oil WOG

Camco Propane Quick-Connect Fitting -For Use with Low-Pressure Propane Systems, Easy Install 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug (59903)

SHINESTAR 12feet RV Quick Connect Propane Hose Extension -1/4” Safety Shutoff Valve & Male Full Flow Plug for Low Pressure System

Instructions:

1. Remove regulator from end of pipe that came with Griddle and insert Trico fitting on threaded end of pipe.

2. Install other 2 fittings.

3. Connect hose and Griddle after making connections.

4. Connect to low pressure on camper and turn on propane, use soapy water and check for any leaks at all connections including camper's quick connect.
I took the easy way out, for $25 I simply ordered this ADAPTER from PropaneGear (not affiliated with them in any way).

The Blackstone connection is non-standard as you discovered. The quick-connect adapter I linked simply screws on hand tight instead of the regulator. The right angle makes sense for the connection as there is less strain to the hose and it decreases the overall width when attached. I still carry the regulator in case I want to use small bottles away from the trailer.

Otherwise, I manually adapted QCs to my Weber Q1200 and fire pit, so now everything can use the trailer's QC supply line. Versatile and very simple setup/takedown.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateott View Post
I took the easy way out, for $25 I simply ordered this ADAPTER from PropaneGear (not affiliated with them in any way).

The Blackstone connection is non-standard as you discovered. The quick-connect adapter I linked simply screws on hand tight instead of the regulator. The right angle makes sense for the connection as there is less strain to the hose and it decreases the overall width when attached. I still carry the regulator in case I want to use small bottles away from the trailer.

Otherwise, I manually adapted QCs to my Weber Q1200 and fire pit, so now everything can use the trailer's QC supply line. Versatile and very simple setup/takedown.

Same thing I did. Bit the bullet and bought the correct sized fitting from PropaneGear. Fits perfect and there's no worries.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote