Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2017, 07:52 AM   #1
BJR

Propane hose leak

Just an FYI - be careful of your exposed hoses. This is on our 2016 Jayco 287BHSW. The trailer did not come with the covers for the propane tanks so these were exposed. I ran out of propane and when I got the tank filled and put it back on I heard the hissing. Checked it with leak detection solution and found the issue.

I contacted Jayco for a new hose but they want me to take it into the dealer so I don't "void the warranty." I have an appt for the 13th so I'll ask them to address it then.

Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_3310.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #2

I had the same hose fail a few years after we bought our TT. There is a check vale in those and mine failed so it would not deliver propane. If you have to change one of these yourself, be aware there are two different type of fittings used on the regulator side of the hose.

Propane tank covers are fairly inexpensive as are the hoses. I suspect that was just a bad crimp on the hose, not an exposure issue.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I had the same hose fail a few years after we bought our TT. There is a check vale in those and mine failed so it would not deliver propane. If you have to change one of these yourself, be aware there are two different type of fittings used on the regulator side of the hose.
You raise a good point. It should be a non-issue for the dealer to replace it but if not I'll just do it myself. I found them on Amazon for $16 but I'll check and make sure they're correct before ordering.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:39 PM   #4

One of mine went bad not long into ownership, in that exact same spot. I had the dealer supply me with a replacement under warranty (with yellow tape and proper hose fittings attached) and I did the labor myself. The dealer was all too happy to let me do the labor because it kept my trailer off his lot and his technicians engaged in more "profitable" endeavors. I dropped by the dealership and picked up the hose after making prior arrangements to do so. Easier than pie!

I replaced the second one last year some time. It wasn't leaking that I know of, but it looked like it was only a matter of time. I could see the rubber bushings all cracked and rotted, so I replaced it because I didn't want a leak.

IMO, the replacements are superior to the OEM Jayco supplies on those pigtails. I've had zero issues since replacing these hoses.

My trailer came with a tank cover new, so I don't think this degradation is a result of exposure.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
One of mine went bad not long into ownership, in that exact same spot. I had the dealer supply me with a replacement under warranty (with yellow tape and proper hose fittings attached) and I did the labor myself. The dealer was all too happy to let me do the labor because it kept my trailer off his lot and his technicians engaged in more "profitable" endeavors. I dropped by the dealership and picked up the hose after making prior arrangements to do so. Easier than pie!

I replaced the second one last year some time. It wasn't leaking that I know of, but it looked like it was only a matter of time. I could see the rubber bushings all cracked and rotted, so I replaced it because I didn't want a leak.

IMO, the replacements are superior to the OEM Jayco supplies on those pigtails. I've had zero issues since replacing these hoses.

My trailer came with a tank cover new, so I don't think this degradation is a result of exposure.
I'm dropping it off tonight for other issues but they'll fix the hose while they have it. "Apparently" they do a leakdown test once it's replaced. I'm not sure I believe that or if it's necessary, but whatever. I would have just replaced it if it wasn't going in anyway. I won't charge them for the lost propane.