Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Propane hoses

My propane hoses that go from the bottle to the regulator are hard and brittle and were leaking pretty bad. You can flex them and they hiss so I ordered new ones. They shouldn't be like that in less than a year especially covered and out of the sun.

My Jayco was built in March 2017 so it's barely a year old. I bought it at the end of June and when I bought it, the battery, battery box, propane bottles, and regulator were stored in the warehouse and added before I took delivery. None of them were on any of the trailers on the lot.

When I got the camper, I immediately installed propane tank cover over everything to protect from the sun and weather. It's strange the hoses are hard already.

Anyone else checked this or seen this? My last TT was 15 years old and the hoses were still fine!

Richard
Old 05-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

Same thing happened on our 2015, and now we’re on our second set of hoses. It’s really annoying when you run out of propane halfway through a trip when you know you had at least one full tank.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Take some baby-powder and put it on the hoses, it preserves rubber.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #4

Next time, I will replace them with ss braided hoses like I have on my boiling pot ! It's 35 years old and still works great.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

It’s not the hose. There is an O-Ring at the end of the crimp connection to seal against the threaded connector. This leaks on a brand new hose if you swivel or twist and I really hate the design. Replace often and keep the valve open on your lead tank. This keeps pressure on the O-Ring and helps them stay sealed.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #6

The line you refer to are available at retail RV stores. I get them at Camping World. They told me steel braided are available now but they were out of stock at the time.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:48 AM   #7

If your dealer is relatively close by, get a free pair of hoses from him.
This should be covered under warranty.

Obviously, it's not worth if you have to drive a hundred miles to your selling dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakerEasy View Post
My propane hoses that go from the bottle to the regulator are hard and brittle and were leaking pretty bad. You can flex them and they hiss so I ordered new ones. They shouldn't be like that in less than a year especially covered and out of the sun.

My Jayco was built in March 2017 so it's barely a year old. I bought it at the end of June and when I bought it, the battery, battery box, propane bottles, and regulator were stored in the warehouse and added before I took delivery. None of them were on any of the trailers on the lot.

When I got the camper, I immediately installed propane tank cover over everything to protect from the sun and weather. It's strange the hoses are hard already.

Anyone else checked this or seen this? My last TT was 15 years old and the hoses were still fine!

Richard

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #8

My 2016 Jay flight developed a propane leak about 1 year into ownership. I couldn't figure out if it was one of the pigtail hoses or the regulator itself. I tried the soapy water test, but still couldn't nail down the source of the leak.
My dealer ended up sending me a new regulator along with 2 new pigtail hoses under warranty. I replaced the whole kit and caboodle, and sent the old parts back to them. In the interim, I picked up a better quality regulator and hoses on Amazon. I'm thinking the OEM setup will leak again sooner rather than later. I'll be ready when it does! LOL!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #9

I have heard of hoses getting brittle and cracking within a year...maybe the rubber wasn't mixed right or they didn't add a UV protectant into the manufacturing process. x2 on letting your dealer take care of it. If you decide to bite the bullet and replace them yourself, be aware that there are 2 different styles of fittings used depending on your regulator. I ordered the wrong style and had to buy a $5 adapter.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #10

The ones that are used on mine have a standard 1/4 Male NPT and not the inverted flare so you either have to hunt pretty hard for it, or grab the adapter. I ended up just getting the Camco 20" and installed it. Although my hoses are hard and showing mini cracks on the surface (like an old tire) the leak was from a loose crimp at the barbed 1/4" MNPT side.

It's replaced. Dealer is 120 miles away!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #11

since we're talking propane systems

on my 2017 X23b the (2) 20lb LP tanks are handled by an automatic changeover regulator that puts-up a red flag in a view window when the selected tank is empty. this lets you know that you are now running on tank number 2 and that tank selected is empty.(great Idea in theory). Jayco has installed the automatic changeover regulator facing the battery box and has made it impossible to see / read the flag rendering it useless.
The fix sounds easy enough, turn the ACR to facing the front of the TT so you can see / view the red flag when needed. However, you will need to add a 12 inch extension to the main TT feed propane line coming off the ACR as the current line is not long enough to allow the forward facing position. (simple fix again, Trailer store made up a 12 inch line extension for 15$). So after that was done, I put the cover back over the (2) tanks. (Everybody reading this probably already saw this coming.) can't see the ARC through the cover no matter which way it's facing.
My solution was to cut a hole in the cover and epoxy a 5/32" piece of plexiglass to the backside of the cover and create a view window.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5106 (Edited).jpg   IMG_5107.jpg   IMG_5108.jpg  
WisconsinCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #12

Pretty cool mod. My previous TT from the 80's had a auto change over and it had Manual Positions and then Auto. I kept it in manual mode so when 1 bottle went empty, I would swap the lever then take the bottle off and get it filled.

In auto, it would swap over and when I ran out of propane I was totally out and it was always seemed to happen at a really bad time. Back then, propane place was limited to very few places and only open M-F during business hours. It wasn't like today where you can get propane anywhere!

No, I did not monitor the red flag often enough.