Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

Propane Hoses Leaking

I have a 2015 Jayco 27RLS (manufactured February 2015). Today I noticed a strong odor of propane at the tanks. I took the cover off and upon inspection I found both lines from tanks to the regulator were leaking. The rubber hoses at the crimped fittings are cracked. You are all aware of the safety and fire hazard this is.

I am sick and tired of the cheap and shoddy components that are used in these things, especially when it comes to a safety item that should not fail within 6 months.

I replaced both lines at my own cost. I recommend all of you inspect your propane supply hoses on a regular basis.

Be safe and happy camping.

THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Funny you should post this, I was just looking at mine yesterday and thinking I have heard of failures but never ever had one go bad.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

On our little Trailer, there was no teflon tape on one of the connectors that require teflon tape, and was leaking. i put some soapy water on the connection and if was bubbling away. So I want a bought the teflon tape that comes in the yellow container and did it right. The yellow teflon is thicker and that is what I was told by a rv dealer to use, and it should have been on there in the first place.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #4

Actually propane is pretty safe, it will only burn if an air / propane mixture is between about 2% and 9% any more or less and it won't ignite...that being said, your dealer should of caught loose hoses when they check the propane regulator, part of ctheir responsibility. I also check each time we fill either tank. I have the same unit as you, made a in March and have not discovered any issues. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #5

THE MEEKER
Were the leaks at the crimped connection or at the threaded connections???
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
THE MEEKER
Were the leaks at the crimped connection or at the threaded connections???
Both of mine were leaking at the crimped connections, next to the regulator. They were 3 years old, but I'd been smelling propane when removing the cover for a long time.

I plugged one of the hose ports on the regulator and installed just one longer hose. I don't have auto-switchover, so it's just as easy for me to disconnect from the empty and reconnect to the full one when the time comes. And I'll have just one hose to replace next time.

Bought the replacement at Walmart online for instore pickup. Think it was around $14 total.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:34 PM   #7

Meeker take the parts back to the dealer and tell them what happened and maybe they will give you new ones.
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:07 AM   #8

My Designer always had a slight propane smell when I opened the door to the propane compartment. I could never find the source, but two years ago I could get no propane from either tank. I ended up, after much exploring, replacing the auto switchover regulator and both pigtails to the tanks. Not only did I get propane flowing again, but the slight propane smell was gone. I never could find it, but it definitely was there and now isn't.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #9

I would burn more money and gas going back to the dealer than the cost of new hoses. I expected to have to do some repairs on my new rig. I am just annoyed that all the repairs and corrections I have done thus far is because of cheap components and poor workmanship. That being said, I am still happy in my investment with Jayco. I have family and friends who have other brands. I would have a stroke if I had to deal with all the issues they are experiencing with their rigs.
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
My Designer always had a slight propane smell when I opened the door to the propane compartment. I could never find the source, but two years ago I could get no propane from either tank. I ended up, after much exploring, replacing the auto switchover regulator and both pigtails to the tanks. Not only did I get propane flowing again, but the slight propane smell was gone. I never could find it, but it definitely was there and now isn't.
Ed, we have the same slight smell when we open our propane doors. I soaped the lines and checked and could find no leak. When we had our unit in for some work, the repair department took their snifter detector and went all over our unit and could find no leak. Something just does not seem right, but I have not used an over abundance of propane either.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote