Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #1

Propane Leak

So the first issue that I do believe will have dealer repair. Yes I do a lot of the "minor" tweaks myself as it is easier sometimes. Anyway on a recent 3 week trip noticed a propane smell around the stove/oven. Wife noticed it too so thought I would check it and I happen to carry a sniffer for explosive type leaks came from my training when I worked. Anyway took out sniffer and there was a leak around the front high output burner. First question dealer asked was it a Dometic as there was a recall on them. Nope it is a Furrion so maybe something that needs to be watched if you have the Furrion unit. Other interesting statement he made was that the Furrion parts do not seem to have the supply issues as the other units do.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #2

I don't have much propane experience. Shouldn't the gas monitor have detected a leak and sounded an alarm? I'm happy for you you have the knowledge and equipment to deal with it. That could have been a disaster.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I don't have much propane experience. Shouldn't the gas monitor have detected a leak and sounded an alarm? I'm happy for you you have the knowledge and equipment to deal with it. That could have been a disaster.

You are correct the monitor should have sent some type of alarm. However with the detector being on the floor as propane is heavier than air that is why they are located near the floor. Our monitor is in the walkway at the end of a cabinet and we usually have the vents running so it may have vented out. The other issue is that in my opinion they are a carbon monoxide/gas detector that sniffs for the odor and then you know you have a leak. The "sniffer" we use was bought at Home Depot decided we needed it when we had a Class C and we used tons of propane and could smell it but never find it even using a bubble solution ended up being a pinhole leak on a weld.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #4

They Fixed it.

Just a note to let everyone know that the dealer I took it to as it is still under warranty was not the dealer I purchased from. He made the appointment for a week out not months, took it in on said day was told unit would be ready that night unless they had to order parts then it may take a bit longer. Dealer called at 5:00PM said it was ready. Hooray just like I was told no 6 week wait until they got around to it. Only issue was that the tech thought is was having a flare up issue so he cleaned jet and such but when I went into the trailer to make sure everything was closed and secure the minute I walked in you could smell propane, went and talked to the general manager he came out and the minute he walked in he smelled it too. Asked if I could leave trailer overnight not a problem they have security on property. Promised to find out what happened and get it fixed. Got a call at 9:30AM from service department and was informed it was fixed and that no parts had to be ordered was a loose part and a bad seal so they were fixed under warranty. I asked about the regulator recall as they had some on the shelf and was told Jayco wants to use the parts that they want put on not off the store inventory as I guess in a recall they want certain parts put back on. Anyway I was already on the list so no problem as such. They did after repairing do a leak down test and all the tests that they will do when regulator is replaced and said the regulator at this time is fine. So we shall see. Again just saying there are dealers out there who care and do the job as intended.