Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #21

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
The Mopeka are probably the best at reading the level. I had a set but found the magnets sometimes are not strong enough to hold them to the tanks on bumpy roads. You need to apply a small amount of adhesive if you want to make 100% sure they don't fall off.

Another problem I had is one of them quit reading. Changed the battery even though it looked good, still a no-go. They sent me a new one, then the other one quit reading. The symptom is it would show the tank is empty, even though it is full.

Finally gave up, now I don't use anything.
I had the same experience. They worked well until the warranty expired, then they quit working.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #22

I just use a cup of hot water poured down the side, then run my finger down the side of the tank. When it goes from hot to cold, that's the level. Or, when the indicator on the regulator turns red I switch tanks and take the MT to be filled. No batteries to worry about!
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #23

A good quality laser, moved VERY slowly should show the propane line, however sometimes the paint on the tank can cause problems.

As far as Mopeka, they really are the best when they are working properly. If they weren’t located on the bottom of the tank it would be no big deal if something goes wrong. Given where they are located I needed them to be more reliable. Having both go out in less than a month just isn’t worth it.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #24

What about those with a gauge that screw into the tank and gas line like Dozyant?
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
What about those with a gauge that screw into the tank and gas line like Dozyant?
I had one of these on our 195RB. When it was working it was mostly good for leak detection, not so much for tank level. The other problem was after spending time in hotter climates it started to fail - the main symptom being lack of cooling ability for the fridge when running on propane due to it interfering with the propane flow. The dealer I took it to for that issue told me it's a common problem for these types of gauges and they don't recommend them. I just use a small hand travel scale and periodically weigh the tank. Propane is 4.25lbs per gallon so just subtract the tare weight of the tank and divide what remains by 4.25 to see how many gallons remain.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #26
Site Team

I have one like that on the home BBQ grill, and on the 20lb tank we use for the camper grill, but not on the TT itself. However, since it took 7 years to go through one 30 pounder, I'm gonna be 72 years old before I run out altogether! LOL!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I had one of these on our 195RB. When it was working it was mostly good for leak detection, not so much for tank level. The other problem was after spending time in hotter climates it started to fail - the main symptom being lack of cooling ability for the fridge when running on propane due to it interfering with the propane flow. The dealer I took it to for that issue told me it's a common problem for these types of gauges and they don't recommend them. I just use a small hand travel scale and periodically weigh the tank. Propane is 4.25lbs per gallon so just subtract the tare weight of the tank and divide what remains by 4.25 to see how many gallons remain.
Thanks for your comment.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #28
SUP

I bought a screw on model from CW. Seems to work ok. Also I have used the weight method. Weigh an empty bottle and weigh a full one. THis will give you a decent idea how much is in the tank if you weigh periodically. I use 20lb tanks
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
How often do you guys need to change the batteries in the mopeaka units? I’ve read they are problematic.

I might use the snap on gauge/sending unit and wire it to the inside to my panel. Had this on my very first RV, worked great.
I must have gotten two good units because I might have to change batteries once per season at the most, I too have read the complaints but am not seeing it.......

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #30

Have only had my tank monitors for about six months but so far working very well and batteries appear good...
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #31

As I said in my post above I installed these units. Right out of the box one of them was dead and I had to go buy a battery. Otherwise they are functioning well
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:16 AM   #32
Lost in the Woods

I have been using Costco propane tanks with the mechanical gauge for a few years. I have 6 of them and never had any issues. They are accurate because they read the liquid level and not the pressure.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamdrdream
We just got the Bmpro propane sensors. They integrate with the Bmpro system in our Eagle 334 RLOK. So far seems to be very accurate and easy to use. All info is still in one place. Got the Bmpro TPMS also...not so good. Not always connecting.....but the propane sensors, not an issue!
Iamdrdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamdrdream View Post
We just got the Bmpro propane sensors. They integrate with the Bmpro system in our Eagle 334 RLOK. So far seems to be very accurate and easy to use. All info is still in one place. Got the Bmpro TPMS also...not so good. Not always connecting.....but the propane sensors, not an issue!
BMPro is working on a fix for the TPMS. Mine come and go as well. Where did you get the tank monitors and if you dont mind. What did you pay for them?
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #35

Too many headaches for my tiny TT. It came with one 20# tank and a piece-of-crap sensor thing... it wasn't reliable at all. I can't tell you want brand it is, I threw that in the garbage long ago. I bought a bracket for two tanks, another 20# tank, and a longer hose from the trailer to the tank so it would reach either tank. No auto-switching valves or gauges, etc.... When I run out, I switch to the other tank and then I take the empty one to get it refilled in the next day or two. I know this isn't for everyone, but I like to keep things simple.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunke View Post
BMPro is working on a fix for the TPMS. Mine come and go as well. Where did you get the tank monitors and if you dont mind. What did you pay for them?

The smart pack Part #027-1000 is $415.24
It includes TPMS (4)
2 propane monitors
2 temp monitors
You may email orders@approducts.net for more info.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #37

Click image for larger version

Name:	B9A6781A-A4C6-41AD-BC9D-33EB47849824.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	62782
Found the packaging!
Old 11-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
These types of $15 pressure gauges are so useless as to be nearly fraudulent.

The pressure above 3 gallons of LPG is the same as a teaspoon of LPG. Simple thermodynamics. Pressure is not a function of the volume of propane remaining. It’s a scam.
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote