Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2019, 05:19 AM   #1

Propane level guages

Are there any accurate fuel guages for propane tanks out there? If so, are they easy enough to install?

Thanks
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #2

I have found the Mopeka Tank check gauges work well. You can get them so that they read out to cell phone or to their own monitor.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracqueteer View Post
I have found the Mopeka Tank check gauges work well. You can get them so that they read out to cell phone or to their own monitor.
So do you simply attach the sensors to the bottom of the propane tanks and sync them?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracqueteer View Post
x2

I did have a few issues getting them placed and reading but once they did (took a little while for them to read a level at first) they work great I also have one on my tank for the grill at home
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #5

Mine wireless gauges work fine as well.......installed receiver in the RV....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #6

Go to Harbor Freight and buy the infrared thermometer. Most have a laser to see where you are pointing. Open the door and leave the tank see the sun for best results. Run the thermometer down the tank until you see a temperature change. It will get colder. That's the level. In winter dump hot water on the tank. The metal next to gas volume will heat, while the metal next to the liquid will not. That's the cheapest way to go and you can use the thermometer for other things like measuring bearing and wheel temps.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sola123 View Post
Mine wireless gauges work fine as well.......installed receiver in the RV....
What brand do you use?
Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #8

Back in the days before any kind of gadgets we simply checked the tanks every couple of days to see when the fuel indicator changed from green to red. Then we flipped the lever to the full tank and refilled the empty. Then repeated the process when the second tank showed red. I full timed for eight years doing it that way and never ran out of propane. I think we are getting too complicated when we should be relaxing.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #9

I really like my Dometic pen tester:
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-LPGC1...s%2C160&sr=8-1

It's a knock-off of the Truma level-check, although I now see a knock-off of the knock-off on Amazon for half the price again.

Been using it for several seasons now on the original set of batteries. It is a bit tougher now that I have a hard shell tank cover (must be removed), but I still find it very accurate and foolproof.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #10

mopeka..... easy install to bottom of tank....easy to connect by Bluetooth...I did make a spacer to put under the tank for more clearance for the megnetic transmitter...
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Old 09-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #11

x2 on the mopeka system. The wife feels a lot safer with the free smart phone app. too.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-1...9074652&sr=8-7

The aluminum brackets that come with it are junk. After loosing two of the brackets on the first refill, I used a 3/8" fuel line on the bottom ring of the tank. Just cut and fit. You also should look at the bottom support frame on your RV. Ensure it is smooth, level, and has no bolts sticking up. Additionally, I did not tighten down the tanks last year while traveling from Texas to Illinois and the bounce damaged one of the tank sensors. Duh....

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #12

I cut out 1/2 plywood to fit the tank mount and then cut out the portion that is under the tank so it allowed enough space for the sensors ...I also covered the hole in the plywood on the bottom side with 1/2 cage wire to prevent the sensors from ever falling out with traveling.....yes...the little aluminum things they include are total junk....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Old 09-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #13

I ultimately purchased a guage from the parts dept at the dealership. It attaches to the tank and then the lines attach to it. It's basic, doesn't connect via blue tooth so you must lift the cover to check, but it seems to be accurate and simple. I intended to buy 1 for each tank but only bought 1 for $31.00. I'll probably pick up another, though I can just swap it over to the 2nd tank when I switch from 1 to the other.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #14

The Mopeka are probably the best at reading the level. I had a set but found the magnets sometimes are not strong enough to hold them to the tanks on bumpy roads. You need to apply a small amount of adhesive if you want to make 100% sure they don't fall off.

Another problem I had is one of them quit reading. Changed the battery even though it looked good, still a no-go. They sent me a new one, then the other one quit reading. The symptom is it would show the tank is empty, even though it is full.

Finally gave up, now I don't use anything.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
The Mopeka are probably the best at reading the level. I had a set but found the magnets sometimes are not strong enough to hold them to the tanks on bumpy roads. You need to apply a small amount of adhesive if you want to make 100% sure they don't fall off.

Another problem I had is one of them quit reading. Changed the battery even though it looked good, still a no-go. They sent me a new one, then the other one quit reading. The symptom is it would show the tank is empty, even though it is full.

If you call Mopeka they will likely make it right, their customer service has always been great.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #16

How often do you guys need to change the batteries in the mopeaka units? I’ve read they are problematic.

I might use the snap on gauge/sending unit and wire it to the inside to my panel. Had this on my very first RV, worked great.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Go to Harbor Freight and buy the infrared thermometer. Most have a laser to see where you are pointing. Open the door and leave the tank see the sun for best results. Run the thermometer down the tank until you see a temperature change. It will get colder. That's the level. In winter dump hot water on the tank. The metal next to gas volume will heat, while the metal next to the liquid will not. That's the cheapest way to go and you can use the thermometer for other things like measuring bearing and wheel temps.
Thank you so much for your answer. I will start using my laser thermometer to do this. Sure beats running out in the middle of the night.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #18

Installed Mopekas this week. Really like them so far.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post

This was exactly my experience. Worked great until the batteries went dead. One of the tabs that holds the battery broke when I was changing it. Mopeka sent me a replacement that I could never get to pair to the app. I gave up after the battery went dead on the second unit.
rgardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #20

Tried that infrared thing and the temp never changed. was in the sun and started at the top and it was 86.5 and went down and stayed at 86.5 all the way down. Did this on our BBQ tanks, went to the trailer tanks and the same thing went on. I know one tank is low but there is no temp change. Yes they were in the sun
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote