Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #1

Propane regulator placement

Hi, all!

Brand new camper and my first Jayco. Looking at my twin 30lb propane tanks I see that the small glass viewing port on the regulator is facing towards the camper. In order to read it I need to scrunch my head into strange angles or use a mirror to see if it is red or green. Is there some reason Jayco installed it this way? Can I just reverse it so I can see it from the front?

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #2

The guy at the deal is screwing with you and put it on backward. Yes you can put it on so you can easily read it.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #3

Thats the way ours is as well. I just use the camera on my phone. Snap picture and see if green or red. I may swap it around this coming spring.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

What is this your talking about. Does my Jayflight have it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

I never look at it.......only have 1 tank turned on and when it's empty I switch tanks and refill empty on.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #6

Great, thanks for the info! It looked like I could do it but I wanted to run it by the forum first since I'm new to Jayco. Nighthawk, on the regulator (at least on ours) there a small glass port that shows green or red in order to see if the tank you are running off is either full or empty. I really don't understand why they have this on the regulator if the regulator is not the automatic changeover type (the delearship told me that mine was not automatic).

Old 12-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #7

I tried using only one tank at a time until I had to get up at 2:00 a.m. because it was 22 degrees out, the heater went off because the tank was empty. I found it easier to just fill tanks more frequently; before every long trip.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #8

I think the regulator is automatic but the selector switch would have to be in the middle and both tank turned on. I prefer to have one tank on at a time so I know I definitely have one tank full as a backup. The glass port only showed full or empty, not the level of propane left in the tank.

mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #9

When I reread the post I realized that I don't even know if mine has a glass port. I was going to go out and purchase one of the gauges that attaches to the tank. Mine is also facing the trailer, thus I had no idea what is there. When I asked during the walk-through about the tanks he just showed me how to 'feel the temperature difference." Will be at the TT this week and will check.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #10

Be aware that the inexpensive propane gauges won't really show liquid amounts like a fuel gauge in a car/truck. Inexpensive propane gauges measure the vapor pressure in the tank, not the remaining liquid propane. The pressure in the tank doesn't change much until the liquid is virtually gone.

Bottom line: Some folks find those gauges helpful, but many do not.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I never look at it.......only have 1 tank turned on and when it's empty I switch tanks and refill empty on.

X2... they face the camper but I’ve never looked at it... use one at a time and switchover when necessary...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Central Florida View Post
Hi, all!

Brand new camper and my first Jayco. Looking at my twin 30lb propane tanks I see that the small glass viewing port on the regulator is facing towards the camper. In order to read it I need to scrunch my head into strange angles or use a mirror to see if it is red or green. Is there some reason Jayco installed it this way? Can I just reverse it so I can see it from the front?
Pricey but a wonderful gadget. No need for the monitor just connect to your phone with the download app that is free.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RQKJA...512392552&sr=1

Get the metal tank support clips, the rubber ones that come with it are useless.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #13

Propane regulator placement

A little off topic, but I also question the quality of the regulator the use on these rigs, well at least the jay flight. Mine went south after about a year in service on my 2016 38fdds. I couldn’t find the exact leak location and my rig is on a seasonal site 130 miles from my dealer. I explained my issue, and the sent me a new regulator and pigtails. I installed the new parts and returned the old ones. The whole ordeal took me about 10 minutes. Excellent dealer service at Forrest marine RV In tyngsboro MA!

Old 01-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #14

Mine also was turned around and is covered. I would have to open the top and use a mirror to read the gauge. I turned the regulator to face the front and drilled a 1-1/2" hole in the cover right in front of the gauge dial. Now I just look through the hole... another tip. sometimes the lid to the tank cover will open during travel and could blow off. I added a zip tie next to each hinge. Pull closed but not tight for allowing the lid to freely open and close.
mnsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:25 AM   #15

I think all of them come from the factory facing backwards, and yes you can turn them around. The first time I need to take the regulator off, I turned it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Central Florida View Post
Hi, all!

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #16

Great, thanks all!
I turned it around ok, but I had to buy two new (longer) pigtails as the ones that came with the camper were too short to reattach to the tanks. Engineering mistake at the factory or done intentionally in order to save a few cents by installing shorter pigtails - who knows? But the issue is now resolved. While I was at it I added a long shanked padlock (as has been suggested in other posts) to deter tank theft.
Again, thanks!