Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #1

Propane slow to light

Hi y'all. I have a 2005 jayflight TT. I bought used and am very new to the camping world.
This is a well took care of camper and we took it out last weekend for our maiden voyage.we discovered the propane is very slow to get to the stove. Takes about 3-5 minutes before it will light. Also used the auxiliary line for bbq and it was slow. New twin 30# tanks.Is this normal or do I have an issue? Flame is good and strong when it does light, just seems to take a while to get there.
Lumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #2

From a long term stop to gas flowing I see perhaps 20 to 30 seconds. 3 minutes seems a long time. I see a couple of things to try. First, turn off the gas for a few minutes and drain the gas pressure with the stove. Then go back out and slowly, very slowly turn on the gas and see how long to get pressure. Tanks now have a safety device to stop major leaks and turning them on too fast can sometimes set off this safety feature.
Or you could have a bad regulator valve system that just does not allow enough pressure.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:20 PM   #3

Thanks. I will give that a go.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:43 PM   #4

Uncommon issue: 3 minutes is a long time. As RogerR said, 20-30 seconds is fairly normal when you first turn on the system. After that, you should have gas immediately.

My first thoughts was the Free Flow safety valve tripped. But, you said you installed new 30# tanks. By chance do you know if the tanks were purged when first filled? This is a very important step for a new tank. Purging removes the air from the tank. If you did not, the first "gas" out of the tank is the compressed air that was trapped, during the filling process. Both tanks will have trapped air if it was not done. If that is the case, go open the other tank, and flip the tank selector to that tank, and try to light the stove/BBQ, to bleed off the compressed air. This way you will have quick access to gas in the middle of the night when the furnace is running and the auto tank transfer kicks over.

https://www.propanetankstore.com/blo...is-important-/

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #5

I just installed a new regulator, made all the difference in the world.
Jhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:30 PM   #6

So, it just could be a rookie mistake/operator error or whatever you want to call it.
Turned the tank on slowly, very slowly, walked in to the camper and about 4 strikes i had a flame �� on the stove top. Lesson of the day, when out camping, slow down relax and things just might go a little smoother.
Thanks for all your help!