Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #1

Propane stove and hot water heater won't stay lit

I have a Jay flight slx, got a full tank of propane. The hot water heater and burners on the stove light however they only stay lit for a few seconds then burn out. I've tried numerous times with the same results. Please help
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #2

Keep trying, sounds like you have air in the line. The other frequent problem is when the valve on the tank will close if it detects a surge of flow. Don't understand the specifics of this but seems to happen when a recently filled bottle or the selector is switched to a full bottle. Close the valve and then open slowly a bit at a time. Let it seep rather than just going full flow all at once. If everything worked before then its likely one of the above problems that are easily resolved.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #3

Mine does that. I open the front door and turn burner on low for a minute or so. Then I shut it off, give it a few minutes for camper to air out ( not that much gas in it just makes me feel better) then I turn back on and try it again. Sometimes I have to repeat a couple times.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Be sure to open the gas supply slowly at the tank and the do the correct procedure.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

This comes up fairly often. Usually it is caused by the excess flow device located in the gas line by the regulator. The device is designed to prevent rapid escape of gas in the even a line is cut. It is a spring loaded piston with a small hole through it. When you first open the valve on you tank, there is no pressure in the lines downstream so the gas can flow very quickly, which triggers the safety device. By cracking the valves on your tanks open very slowly you can prevent the safety device from triggering.

Usually after a few minutes the pressure will equalize on each side of the safety device, provided you aren't using any gas for those few minutes, and the device will automatically reset and then you are good to go. However, if you try using any gas or if you have a leak in your system the device will not reset and you will get a very limited flow of gas.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
This comes up fairly often. Usually it is caused by the excess flow device located in the gas line by the regulator. The device is designed to prevent rapid escape of gas in the even a line is cut. It is a spring loaded piston with a small hole through it. When you first open the valve on you tank, there is no pressure in the lines downstream so the gas can flow very quickly, which triggers the safety device. By cracking the valves on your tanks open very slowly you can prevent the safety device from triggering.

Usually after a few minutes the pressure will equalize on each side of the safety device, provided you aren't using any gas for those few minutes, and the device will automatically reset and then you are good to go. However, if you try using any gas or if you have a leak in your system the device will not reset and you will get a very limited flow of gas.
X2..........this happened when I replaced one of my older tanks. things would light and burn a couple of seconds, then go out. The guy at the propane place said the valves on the new bottles were very sensitive. I had to just barely crack it open and let it fill the lines, then it was fine after that.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #7

Thanks everyone, had a service guy come out and it wound up being a bad regulator
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, pilot, propane, water