Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #1

Propane tank locks

It hasn't happened yet but I have to park my RV in an RV lot. All the people I have talked to that run the lots say to either take the propane tanks and battery out or make sure they are locked. I think it would be a hassel to take them out all the time so I'm looking for a few suggestions on how to secure them. I know they sell a metal strap with a lock for the battery but was wondering what, if anything you guys do for the propane tanks.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:58 AM   #2

For the tanks just buy a 6’ cable and wrap it around the tank base, feed it through the loop at one end, then feed it up and through the tops of the tanks. Then just lock the other loop to the cable with a padlock.

I have one on our tanks from when we stored the 32 at a relatives. More so for the just in case scenerio since it was not an area of concern normally. Figure why take it off.

I also have a cable locking the spare tire as well for the same reason.

Something like this: 6’ cable lock

Either the 1/4” or 3/8”, up to you. Buy two cables and a 3 (or 4) pack of keyed alike locks. That way you’re all set with matching keys. Put a key on each tt key set, hang one in the tt as an extra, and possibly one in the tv for “safe keeping”! Lol

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #3

Here's a pic of what I do to secure my twin tanks with a long padlock. This keeps the hold down nut from being loosened. It could be bypassed with a hacksaw, but most bad guys would just go to another trailer in the lot where I store my trailer.

retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #4

I also use a cable and padlock. I picked up a heavy cable lock with a vinyl coating in the bicycle department at Wally World.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I will feel a little better once I secure the tanks.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will feel a little better once I secure the tanks.
YW!!!

Don’t forget to lock the spare tire up also!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

I use a 6’ bicycle cable to secure my tanks and spare tire. I loop through the secure one end to a tank through the handle of my secondary propane tank. Then pull the tail through the next tank handle. Then bring the end of the tail down to my spare tire, and lock the tire wing nut, and propane tank cable all together. These three items are now secured. The battery I do not lock. But if I did I would buy a battery lock strap and modify my cable routing to secure all three.

I have heard of many batteries being stolen from storage yards. I do not recall ever hearing of a propane tank being taken.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #8

My first RV (1977 Layton) had two 20lbs tanks with a single regulator you had to switch manually by switching the hose from tank to tank. The reason for this was that the PO had it stored in an RV lot and someone stole only one of the 30lb tanks AND the switch-over regulator! They left one tank behind. He ran out of money to put into it so he just slapped two 20lb "bbq" tanks on it and a basic regulator. He also threaded a chain through the new tanks' handles and to the trailer to keep it from happening again. Worked for me and I never did get around to replacing them and the regulator before I sold it. But I'm glad my Jayco is parked in my fenced and locked backyard and not in a storage lot.

And yes, he said they also stole the battery. And although he lived in a large city of 350,000, the storage yard was in a small tourist lake town 60 miles away where he parked it all winter.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
Here's a pic of what I do to secure my twin tanks with a long padlock. This keeps the hold down nut from being loosened. It could be bypassed with a hacksaw, but most bad guys would just go to another trailer in the lot where I store my trailer.

this is exactly what i do. easy and just enough of a deterrent.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post

I did the exact same thing, it was cheap and easy and like you said it would take a lot to get them.
soonerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote