Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

Propane tanks

About to take our 2016 29RKS out for the 1st time. Was wondering how long I could expect our dual propane tanks to last. 30 lb. Tanks. Running heat while fully hooked up to power. Just a 3 night trip but was just wondering if someone could enlighten me please and thank you.
rbos57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
Site Team

2 full 30lb tanks have lasted us 2 full summers. But we have not had to run the heat a lot only a few nights at the beginning of the camping season.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #3

Just went on a trip, spent 7 days. Was cold and had heater at 70 degrees, and about 5 days into the trip we went thru one tank. High temp was around 55 degrees and low was low 40's. We also cooked breakfast most days. Some mornings we used our fireplace but we also had propane heating our water. But we also have a 35.6 foot trailer.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #4

Parcany, thank you so much. Great info for us.
rbos57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #5

Propane tanks

We have dual 20 lb tanks. We run fridge while in transit on propane and always camp a few weekends with heat. We use propane a long with electric for showers too. We have not used both on a whole season yet. You will have plenty for your 3night trip.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #6

You might consider a small electric heater if you have full hookups.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:03 AM   #7

We put a lot of nights on our htt, often it is cool. One 20 pound tank lasts us one season. We do use an electric heater whenever we have shore power.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #8

I have 2 30's. I empty (and fill) one per year typically. We probably spend 18-20 nights per year in the PNW so we're using the furnace most nights. I'm going to start packing a small ceramic heater as well to take advantage of the electricity I'm paying for at the parks.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #9

How long your propane tanks will last depends on too many variables for a simple answer. Just like in your home, it depends on your usage . . . and the weather.

After a year-and-a-half of full-timing, I'm just now nailing down the perfect balance between propane use and electrical use. If I understand your post, you'll have full hook-ups for a 3 day outing. I'll assume that means your electricity is included in the basic price of the campsite. In that case, I'd use electric for refer and water heater; and if the weather doesn't get below freezing, I'd use a space heater/electric fireplace for my primary heat source. I run an extension cord from the heater, out my slide gasket, and plug it directly into the 15 amp outlet on the CG pedestal. That way I don't pop a circuit breaker when the heater, refer, water heater, water pump, television, and coffee maker are all running at the same time. That means your propane use will be limited to refrigerator during transit, and cooking. If your trip is short, and/or you use the campfire or charcoal for cooking, you could precool the refer on electric (before you leave home), then turn it off until you plug into CG electric, and use virtually no propane at all.

On the other hand, I'm currently staying at a full-hookup site for 4 months, and my electricity is metered separately from my campsite fee. In December, I heated mainly with my electric fireplace during the day, and only used my furnace at night to keep my water lines from freezing (overnight temps have frequently gotten down to or below 30*). I only burned through 1 propane tank, but my electrical charge was $92.00! Since propane right now is dirt cheap (around $18/30# here), I decided to use my furnace more for heating this month and turn my WH on only a few minutes before I need it (for a shower, washing dishes, etc.), then turning it off when I'm done. Even using both my oven and cook-top quite a bit, so far I've only burned through one tank of propane. We'll see if I save any money operating this way.

One other thing; if you're using the built-in propane quick connect for your grill, go easy on the pre-heating and post-cooking burn-off. Your grill will go through a lot of propane very quickly!

This is my personal experience. Your mileage may vary depending on your habits. But from the sound of it (using your RV only a couple of weekends a month), your two 30# bottles should get you through most/all of the season.

Hope this helps! Happy Camping in your new rig!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:19 PM   #10

I agree that it all depends on how much you use your furnace. That seems to be the big wildcard. I've used my new 25BHS only 3 trips (2 night weekend trips) but all 3 of them were very cold where it got into the low 30's at night. Needless to say that I used my heat at night on all of those trips.

On the 2nd night of my third trip, one of the propane tanks went empty. I was surprised as friends told me they made it through an entire season without changing them. But if you use the furnace it can go fairly quickly.
earlyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote