Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Yep.

Well that’s cool. Why does it have knob to select the tank then out of curiosity?
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Well that’s cool. Why does it have knob to select the tank then out of curiosity?
The knob is used to select your primary tank. LP gas will flow from that until it's empty. Then the regulator will switch automagically to the secondary tank (assuming both tanks' valves are on), AND show the red flag.

Now you switch the knob to make the active tank primary, and the regulator will show green again. Once that's done you disconnect and remove the now-empty tank, and go get it filled. Bring it back, hook it up, and open its valve so that it's now standby for when the other tank runs dry.

Repeat as needed. Monitor the red flag every few days, and you're good to go.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #23

I have the same trailer. Keep both tanks on and it will switch automatically. I tried the idea of only keeping one tank open until the heat stopped at 2:00 a.m. one morning in Zion, temperature 28 degrees. Did not like having to get out of bed to open the second tank.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I have the same trailer. Keep both tanks on and it will switch automatically. I tried the idea of only keeping one tank open until the heat stopped at 2:00 a.m. one morning in Zion, temperature 28 degrees. Did not like having to get out of bed to open the second tank.
Eggzackly. For the life of me, I can't see why anyone would have an automatic switching regulator, and then disable it so they have to get out of bed and play with valves at 2:00 AM in freezing temps. Not my idea of fun.

Roger

Old 02-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #25

It's a great time to admire the stars, enjoy the cool, still night air and...... Awwwww heck, I'm kidding.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
The knob serves two purposes, one to point to the tank in use, which will show green in the window, and two, to show the empty tank which will show red. In actuality it does nothing. Internally the valve switches from one tank to another. When you look at the knob it will then show red and be pointing at the empty tank. You manually move it to the full (green) tank and do the process all over again.

All you need do is look at the red knob to know if one of your tanks ran out.

After a while you will get a good feeling for how long your tank will last, depending on running the furnace.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #27

Quote:
The knob serves two purposes, one to point to the tank in use, which will show green in the window, and two, to show the empty tank which will show red. In actuality it does nothing. Internally the valve switches from one tank to another. When you look at the knob it will then show red and be pointing at the empty tank. You manually move it to the full (green) tank and do the process all over again.

All you need do is look at the red knob to know if one of your tanks ran out.

After a while you will get a good feeling for how long your tank will last, depending on running the furnace.

That’s funny because I tried my best one day to get hot water to storage so I could pour it on the tank and see how full it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Thinking it would be extremely odd if an auto-switching regulator were not standard equipment on a 2018 Whitehawk. It was standard on my 2016 Jay Feather.

Roger
x2 My 2014 has the automatic changeover. Like someone else said, if you have the red/green indicator, it is an automatic switch over. The little lever is just so you can point it to the tank you are running on to help you remember which one. If that tank is empty, it should red, likewise green shows fuel pressure in that tank. I think. LOL

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
x2 My 2014 has the automatic changeover. Like someone else said, if you have the red/green indicator, it is an automatic switch over. The little lever is just so you can point it to the tank you are running on to help you remember which one. If that tank is empty, it should red, likewise green shows fuel pressure in that tank. I think. LOL
Well, not exactly. The lever (or knob) is not a reminder, it serves a specific function. Check post #22 in this thread. The red/green flag does show that there's pressure in the tank to which the lever/knob is pointed, but the function is to select which tank is the primary source of LP gas. And you can use it to remove an empty tank and get it refilled, but the lever/knob *must* be pointed at the other tank when you do this.

Roger

Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Well, not exactly. The lever (or knob) is not a reminder, it serves a specific function. Check post #22 in this thread. The red/green flag does show that there's pressure in the tank to which the lever/knob is pointed, but the function is to select which tank is the primary source of LP gas. And you can use it to remove an empty tank and get it refilled, but the lever/knob *must* be pointed at the other tank when you do this.

Roger
Actually the little knob makes no difference where it is pointed. It is only an indicator. You can turn it back and forth from one tank to the other and it won't turn one on or one off. It will show you which tank has fuel in it and which one doesn't. It's why the tank will switch over and the knob remains on whichever tank you point it too.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
This tread really shows how much people do their homework........read all the manuals and accessory manuals. They want the people on forums to do that for them.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Actually the little knob makes no difference where it is pointed. It is only an indicator. You can turn it back and forth from one tank to the other and it won't turn one on or one off. It will show you which tank has fuel in it and which one doesn't. It's why the tank will switch over and the knob remains on whichever tank you point it too.
Just a tad incorrect here. The lever/knob does function to select the "supply" side, or primary tank. If both tanks are full (actually, are not empty), the lever/knob does cause gas from the selected tank to flow through the regulator. I agree that it does not matter which one you select, as long as that tank has gas in it. There are several excellent videos and manuals available that clearly demonstrate this.

Roger

Old 02-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Just a tad incorrect here. The lever/knob does function to select the "supply" side, or primary tank. If both tanks are full (actually, are not empty), the lever/knob does cause gas from the selected tank to flow through the regulator. I agree that it does not matter which one you select, as long as that tank has gas in it. There are several excellent videos and manuals available that clearly demonstrate this.

Roger
Agree with this explanation. The side that the switch is pointing to will empty first, and then if the other tank has any propane in it it will switch to that one automatically. That's my understanding. Otherwise how would you ever get just one tank empty?
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #34

Just make sure the auto switch is pointed to one of the tanks as primary. It will empty that tank first then start on the second. If you put the selector in the middle it will pull from both tanks so you could have both go empty at the same time instead of one at a time.

Mharris403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
This tread really shows how much people do their homework........read all the manuals and accessory manuals. They want the people on forums to do that for them.
Sorry to disturb you. Have a pleasant day and Happy Camping!
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Sorry to disturb you. Have a pleasant day and Happy Camping!

My new rig did not have a manual for the gas valve. I had to look it up on the internet. I thought these forums were there to help those with questions. Just keep asking if you’re not sure..!!!

Mharris403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
I have 2 30 gallon propane tanks on my 2018 Whitehawk MRB23. When one tank runs out, say while running heat at night or cooking something, will it automatically switch to the other tank if both are turned on?
Thank you for the input.
You should be able to switch them both on, but you will NOT know when you are running out of propane.

It's best to have only one on, and when it runs out switch tanks and refill empty.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mharris403 View Post
My new rig did not have a manual for the gas valve. I had to look it up on the internet. I thought these forums were there to help those with questions. Just keep asking if you’re not sure..!!!

Thank you, I to had no manual for the propane. This forum has been wonderful and very willing to help. There is always one, sometimes more!
Happy camping!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #39

This is Intriguing: Mopeka LPG Tank Check - Bluetooth Propane Level Monitor
Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mharris403 View Post

I agree sometimes all the manuals are not there, or are generic in nature and cover many models, not the one specific to the unit.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote