Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #1

Propane vs Electric Cost

Generally speaking, is it cheaper to run the fridge and hot water heater on electric or propane?

I am parked at a seasonal site that has metered electricity as well as propane filling capabilities, so supply and convenience are not really a factor. With the heater on electric the meter obviously starts spinning a bit faster so curious to know if anyone has any previous experience and opinions.
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I think it depends on how often you use it. Generally speaking I keep everything on electric and use the gas for backup. Last Xmas I put the hot water on gas and the three of us used up a 30 lb tank of propane in one week. I was surprised to say the least. The fridge doesn't use much power either way. All in all, I don't know which is cheaper, but when electric is available I would use that just for convenience.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkii View Post
Generally speaking, is it cheaper to run the fridge and hot water heater on electric or propane?

I am parked at a seasonal site that has metered electricity as well as propane filling capabilities, so supply and convenience are not really a factor. With the heater on electric the meter obviously starts spinning a bit faster so curious to know if anyone has any previous experience and opinions.
It depends what your rate is and what propane is in your area. I think around 15 cents/kw hour is about a wash in most cases.

But if your propane is cheap like $20 or so to fill a 30# tank I'd lean toward propane. Of course it's easier to pay for electricity as apposed to filling your tank so take that in account.

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #4

I was wandering about the same thing. Add to that, the heating system. Cheaper to run the propane furnace, or use an electric space heater (supplemented with the furnace, to keep the water lines from freezing)? I'll be spending next winter in Texas with metered electricity.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #5

FWIW. We have a 2 stage heating system for the house, natural gas and a heat pump, and using the heat pump down to about 28/30 degress is less expensive than using the gas furnace, at least in Ohio. I do know natural gas is less expensive than propane.