Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2022, 08:56 PM   #1

Protecting Lithium battery from cold

We have a 12v 200ah lithium battery in an insulated box on the tongue of our 199MBS and we are headed south this week. The problem is that our temps this week will be in the teens and our first stop will be in the teens so I've been trying to figure out how to protect our battery from the cold. First, the battery is in a lightly insulated case with a tank heater pad that is thermostatically controlled. Second, I've determined the disconnect switch of the RV can be turned off so that a charge doesn't come in from the solar panel or the tow vehicle while in route. The main issue is keeping the battery from charging when its below 32 degrees F. I have three questions: 1) what do I need to do to stop the trailer's converter from trickle charging the battery while on shore power? 2) is there a way to isolate the battery from discharging at night without just unwiring it? and 3)does switching off the disconnect switch of the trailer disable the trailer brakes while driving?
mtjag7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:23 AM   #2

>>1) what do I need to do to stop the trailer's converter from trickle charging the battery while on shore power? 2) is there a way to isolate the battery from discharging at night without just unwiring it? and 3)does switching off the disconnect switch of the trailer disable the trailer brakes while driving? <<

1. Find the converter 120VAC circuit breaker in your power center and turn it off.
2. Best to disconnect it or install a battery disconnect. Depending on your battery you may be able to shut it off with bluetooth app if eqipped, mine allows this.
3. Factory disconnect does not disconnect brakes, or much else on my 5er at least. Mainly disables slides, awnings, jacks so they do not deploy when traveling.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:07 AM   #3

Thanks much for the insight to the questions I posted. Regarding the type of battery you have with the bluetooth connection, may I ask what is the brand and model? As it turns out, I will need the battery to continue to operate as it has the tank heating pad in the box to keep it warm so disconnecting from the battery is not possible. I also need it for my cpap at night. So, full circle, the main issue is to eliminate a charge going into the battery if the temp is below freezing. Since this is our first trip out during below freezing weather, I was concerned about the various impacts to the battery. The converter breaker was what I suspected, but needed confirmation. Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjag7 View Post
Thanks much for the insight to the questions I posted. Regarding the type of battery you have with the bluetooth connection, may I ask what is the brand and model? As it turns out, I will need the battery to continue to operate as it has the tank heating pad in the box to keep it warm so disconnecting from the battery is not possible. I also need it for my cpap at night. So, full circle, the main issue is to eliminate a charge going into the battery if the temp is below freezing. Since this is our first trip out during below freezing weather, I was concerned about the various impacts to the battery. The converter breaker was what I suspected, but needed confirmation. Thanks again.
I am not sure if I am reading your comment correctly or if you have a misunderstanding. You do not need to heat the battery regardless of how cold it is if you are only discharging the battery such as for your cpap at night even with a temperature in the teens. If you are heating the battery to an above freezing temperature, then you can charge it anytime and without any worries regardless of the ambient temperature. ~CA
Old 11-13-2022, 11:05 AM   #5

Thank you and I think I'm just overthinking this whole issue. I've been so focused on protecting the battery I forgot it's just an issue of charging the battery below freezing temps. Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:30 PM   #6

Discharging LI Phosphate is allowed to -4 deg F, but recharging shouldn't be done at normal rates below Freezing / 32F.
Recharging can be done at very low rates below 32F at a very reduced charge rate but wouldn't be very beneficial or easily done regardless. Easier and safer to say "don't charge below 32F".

""Important tips to keep in mind: When charging lithium iron phosphate batteries below 0°C (32°F), the charge current must be reduced to 0.1C and below -10°C (14°F) it must be reduced to 0.05C. Failure to reduce the current below freezing temperatures can cause irreversible damage to your battery.""

I have 3 Rebel 100A with bluetooth, all can be turned off or on with a phone app, and also displays battery temp. An amazing amount of settings are adjustable which a normal user wouldn't need to mess with.

I think you'll be fine. 200A is quite a bit of power, and drawing power also heats the battery. Maybe place a thermometer near your battery for some piece of mind.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote