Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #1

Proven industries lock does not fit

I brought the trailer back from the dealership to the storage lot on Saturday. Once I dropped the trailer at the storage yard I went to fit the 2516-J model proven industries lock on the coupler. The lock however did not fit over the coupler, it turns out the flange on my coupler is too large. I have contacted the company they are willing to take the lock back for a refund, but they also mentioned that sometimes owners have had to grind the flange of the coupler to make the lock fit. The problem for me is that the trailer is new and I am unsure of the effect of grinding some of the flange off would have on the warranty for the frame. If the trailer was older then I would just grind it down to fit.

Anyway does anyone here know what effect having the flange grinded down to fit the lock would have on the warranty, I would like to have a lock but am not sure it would be worth it for a cheaper lock. I am most likely to err on the side of caution here.

Awaiting all the 2 cents.

Thanks
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:49 AM   #2

Not a fan here of altering tens of thousands of $$ of camper to accommodate a product costing a percent or less of same. But I imagine many disagree.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:29 AM   #3

It wouldn't be hard to repaint, ask dealer their cost which might avoid any disputed warranty claim in the future.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #4

After talking to SWMBO we have decided to return the proven lock and get a Trimax UMAX100 lock. I just don't want to make such changes yet.

Thanks all.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 08-29-2018, 06:31 AM   #5

Your hitch was engineered with a flange (I have the same hitch). I wouldn’t grind anything, because their are plenty of lock brands/types that fit this style of hitch.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #6

Proven Industries fit my Jayflight

I just purchased a Jayflight 31QBDS and as soon as I got home I bought the Proven Industries 2516-J. Fit my trailer beautifully. I sent pictures to their chat line and they stated that this was the lock for my trailer. It fit perfectly. Hope you figure it out without voiding your warranty.
jcrammell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrammell View Post
I just purchased a Jayflight 31QBDS and as soon as I got home I bought the Proven Industries 2516-J. Fit my trailer beautifully. I sent pictures to their chat line and they stated that this was the lock for my trailer. It fit perfectly. Hope you figure it out without voiding your warranty.
I actually returned the lock to Proven. They called me when they received it with an offer for a redesigned lock for the Jayco and some upgrades. All I had to do was give them my dimensions and they made sure it fit. I have to say it was awesome customer service. The new lock fit nicely and it is currently sitting on my trailer. It is square rather than round which makes a nice little shelf to put things while at the trailer.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 11-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
I actually returned the lock to Proven. They called me when they received it with an offer for a redesigned lock for the Jayco and some upgrades. All I had to do was give them my dimensions and they made sure it fit. I have to say it was awesome customer service. The new lock fit nicely and it is currently sitting on my trailer. It is square rather than round which makes a nice little shelf to put things while at the trailer.
I must have the new model. Mine is square also. Fits awesome. Thinking of taking the lock to a locksmith and have them meme it pick, bump and drill poof as well.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #9

What is the new Model #

What is the new Model No.?
Finding only the round one.
Just got my new Jayco
RobLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLO View Post
What is the new Model No.?
Finding only the round one.
Just got my new Jayco

It’s model number 2516-J. Fit my 2018 Jayflight perfectly. Even able to lock up the chains.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #11

Before I spend $260... are you guys that bought one convinced it would be real hard to remove this lock, except with a cutting torch?
Old 02-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Before I spend $260... are you guys that bought one convinced it would be real hard to remove this lock, except with a cutting torch?
I’m very paranoid of my stuff so I like to protect all of it. I spent $260 on this setup and was very pleased. If a crook had time and tools yes he’s going to get into it. He would get into anything if he had the right tools and time. In my opinion this lock is a deterrent and makes them want to look somewhere else. It’s all bout presentation. I try my damndest to make it very hard for some one to walk off with my stuff.

This contraption is made out of 1/4 steel , has a nice puck lock which I think is their only down side. If I recall correctly Proben industries said that it was bump resistant.

I’m looking at upgrading the lock mechanism. Just haven’t got around to it yet. I would say do it. Don’t think you will be disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails
3D321BF9-CAF8-4E9B-B656-A5F93251EC91.jpg   84411C7E-1139-4900-B5F6-9E57807124CA.jpg  
Old 02-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #13

I wondered how secure these puck locks are...

Just saw a guy on youtube pick one in just a few seconds. They should fool an honest guy, but it won't slow down a pro.

My $10 round lock is about as good.