Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

Pulling capacity

We just bought a 2011 Jayco 256RKS to pull with a 2012 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton. I would like to pack a 12 foot aluminum boat on bed of truck as well. I am worried about pulling/carrying all this weight when fully packed including water. Does anyone know if I need to get air bags or even a link to hitch weight etc. that I need to help me understand where I am at with this size trailer and truck. Thanks.
aceetray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

Here is a link to the towing guide based on your model truck. You need to know what your truck has for options to get the correct weights.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_...wing.Specs.pdf

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #3

Thank you.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #4

Whether this is possible or not will depend on how much other stuff, including people, you have in your truck. Dodge half tons are known for low payload capacities so even a couple hundred pound boat could put you over depending on what else you plan on bringing.

Take the payload sticker number inside your driver's door, subtract your ACTUAL tongue weight (not advertised) and then you'll know how much you have left for other stuff.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #5

Ace,

I would suggest a trip to the CAT Scales to see where you stand first. Load the truck and trailer as you normally do, then with all the usual passengers that go with, weigh the truck and trailer. Follow my signature link for the CAT Scale how to.

Post back with the weights, and your truck specs (gvwr, rar, etc).

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #6

Agree with other posters. I just learned this the hard (and expensive) way.. carrying/load capacity is often overlooked or not carefully monitored to make sure you don't exceed it. I was well within towing capacity, engine HP, GCW limit, etc but - discovered after I had my rig that I was already maxed out on load capacity based on the sticker inside my door with just the empty trailer and my wife and I in the truck, and we are not big people. Measure your tongue weight and pay close attention. Just because your WD hitch and truck seemed balanced does not mean you are OK.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceetray View Post
We just bought a 2011 Jayco 256RKS to pull with a 2012 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton. I would like to pack a 12 foot aluminum boat on bed of truck as well. I am worried about pulling/carrying all this weight when fully packed including water. Does anyone know if I need to get air bags or even a link to hitch weight etc. that I need to help me understand where I am at with this size trailer and truck. Thanks.
Just curious, how do you plan to load the boat without having the tailgate down/interfering with the trailer, over the cab on a rack with lots of helpers to get it up? What sort of rack setup do you plan to use?

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #8

Air Bags will level your truck. They will not increase your GVWR.

Take a trip to the CAT scales loaded and get some weights. I can't imagine a 12' aluminum boat weighing a tremendous amount.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:39 AM   #9

We're using aTracRac TracOne Fullsize / Compact Aluminum Truck Ladder Rack 27000-01 Bed Rack which my husband and I have used many times before, loading the 12ft aluminum without a problem, with our old trailer, tail gate up. Using a rope, pulling from the front of the truck really helps.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceetray View Post
We're using aTracRac TracOne Fullsize / Compact Aluminum Truck Ladder Rack 27000-01 Bed Rack which my husband and I have used many times before, loading the 12ft aluminum without a problem, with our old trailer, tail gate up. Using a rope, pulling from the front of the truck really helps.
Since your already set up, I'd load it up and head to the scales and see what the number are.

I'd love to have a small boat to take camping... it sounds like lots of fun.