Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

Pump pulsing when demand stops

Ok, I have combed this and other forums with no success. I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

I have a 2016 27bhs. We are having a problem with the pump. When flushing the toilet, when the pedal is released, the pump pulses for 3-4 seconds before stopping. It's not the same as the pulse you have when it is low demand, it is more a jackhammer type pulse.

To add, I installed a pressure tank to try to resolve this as well as cut back on how often the pump runs over night with my wife getting up.

After installing the tank, the pulsing is worse when flushing . Now it will pulse for 10-15 seconds and does so almost every time the toilet flushes . The pulsing stops if I crack the kitchen sink cold water for a second. I've checked and tried changing the pressure on the tank with no success and the dealer gives the "it's normal" line. Any suggestions? I have insured there is no air in the lines so I give up!

Thanks .
Mike09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

Have you put in a call for help to SHURflo?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Have you put in a call for help to SHURflo?
I haven't yet but I somewhat suspect it isn't all the pump because it only happens from the toilet not other things. I may still contact them though .
Old 10-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #4

Check your settings. Had the same problem. Was caused by the fact that I had the water switches set to city water and had the pump switch in the on position. After turning off the pump switch problem was solved.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroga View Post
Check your settings. Had the same problem. Was caused by the fact that I had the water switches set to city water and had the pump switch in the on position. After turning off the pump switch problem was solved.
As far as I know I don't have any settings like this.....

Also, if it makes a difference, another issue with the pump is when the tank gets down to about a 3rd left it will run as though it has lost its prime. I then need to run a tap for a few seconds to take off the pressure and it will build back up. This is without the pressure tank as well. I'm wondering if I just have a bummed pump .
Old 10-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

Those pumps have an inline pressure switch. Could have gone bad. Buy a replacement pump from Amazon or similar. Try it. Return the pump if it doesn't fix your problem.
Biggest Weber fan in the world.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #7

The pump is controlled by a pressure sensitive switch. When the pressure goes down, the pump comes on till the pressure builds up again then shuts off. When several taps or the toilet is flushed the water usage is more than the pump can handle. So to build up pressure, the pump runs all the time. When one tap is open the pump can keep up and shuts off when the pressure is back up. Then comes back on as the pressure goes down. The pulsing is really normal.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #8

Water flow for the toilet is about the same as a fully open faucet. It should take a little time for the pump to build pressure again.

Other things that will make the pump cycle oddly:
- Pinhole leaks. Without a pressure tank, the pump will do 3-4 pulses every hour or two. With the pressure tank it'll be several hours between cycles, but the pump will run for 4-8 seconds.
- Air in the lines. Drives the pump nuts! When a valve is opened the air expands slightly, keeping the pressure up, then the pump kicks in and has to recompress the air after the faucet is closed.
- Any air in the water heater will cause some really annoying things when you try to shower.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #9

Sounds similar to issues I have after installing a large accumulator tank. I don't think the bypass switch plays well with the accumulator tank and the pump keeps pumping away and just bypassing itself for a few minutes before shutting off finally.
I am speculating that the bypass valve (not the pressure switch) needs a sharp spike in pressure to deactivate it and shutoff the pump. With the accumulator tank the pressure is just a gentle rise and the switch doesn't activate and turn off.

I have a separate valve going to out accumulator tank and often I need to turn off that valve to stop the pump running. Then I turn the valve back on and the pump stays off until the pressure drops.

I also know the difference between the jack hammer noise and normal pumping noise. Opening a tap in our case stops the jack hammer and lets it pump normally.

I have replaced my pump once with the same Shurflo model and had the same problems and then replaced again with a different model pump and see the same thing. I just live with it now.....

Good luck
Old 10-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #10

Ours will sometime pulse when nobody is using the water....such as 3am, nobody flushed the toilet.... I looked for drips in the sink, no leaks as far as I can see. On tank only..no hookup.
2016 white hawk 23mrb.
Tomminny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #11

The jack hammering noise when you let the foot pedal go could be water hammer. If the pipes are not clipped well underneath this could happen. It mostly happens on rapidly closing valves or taps. Hence the reason they are fitted on washing machines/dishwashers with solenoid valves. when you flush the toilet try letting the pedal go slowly to shut off and see if it still does it. If that cures it, then that sounds like it could be the problem. You can fit hammer arrestors to cure this in homes although i will say i have never heard it in a trailer yet.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
The jack hammering noise when you let the foot pedal go could be water hammer. If the pipes are not clipped well underneath this could happen. It mostly happens on rapidly closing valves or taps. Hence the reason they are fitted on washing machines/dishwashers with solenoid valves. when you flush the toilet try letting the pedal go slowly to shut off and see if it still does it. If that cures it, then that sounds like it could be the problem. You can fit hammer arrestors to cure this in homes although i will say i have never heard it in a trailer yet.
Doesn't an accumulator tank do the same thing as a water hammer arrestor? It should absorb the pressure fluctuation.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Doesn't an accumulator tank do the same thing as a water hammer arrestor? It should absorb the pressure fluctuation.
If it was satisfied and had taken all the water in that it could there would be no room for expansion into it so dont think it would help that much. To have it work properly too you would have to set it up at the right pressure (typically a small % less than incoming main pressure) before you put the water pressure on it. We use bigger versions on towers to make the booster pumps cycle less often. We still use hammer arrestors in every suite laundry box/dishwasher too.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #14

How much pressure do you have in the tank? 5-10 lbs is plenty and higher makes it not work right. It should store enough water to flush the toilet several times before the pump comes on. If the air pressure is at or close to the pump cutoff pressure, the tank won't store pressurized water.
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #15

My new Greyhawk had the same issue. Turns out a my pump had a small piece of plastic stuck in the pump that made it through the pump screen filter, probably manufacture debris. I took the pump out and flushed it and the problem went away.

Value: $.02
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #16

Fixed!

I thought I would follow up with this post as I seem to have solved the problem.

To recap, I found my pump was noisy and pulsing, especially at night. I installed a 5 gallon pressure tank I picked up at Lowes and found that it helped slightly. However, I began having problems when flushing the toilet and found the pump would begin to pulse. I believed the issue may have been air getting into the line at the winterizing valve as I could put 6" of water in the winterizing line and a couple of days later, it would be gone (drawn into the system). After 3 trips to the dealer with responses such as we tightened a couple of hose clamps, you have air in your lines and it's normal, I contacted Shurflo. Shurflo recommended trying the pump silencing kit. I installed that kit prior to going out this past week and it appears the problem is solved!! The pump is much quieter and with the tank, we can go all night without the pump running. At this point it's the best $18USD I have spent on the trailer. Hopefully this may help some of the others that are having problems similar.