Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Purchase at Dealer or RV Show

We are going to purchase a Jayco 23MRB. We plan to start traveling in July/August of 2017 but want to do a couple of weekend practice runs before then. We've been to every dealer within 200 miles; settled on the 23MRB. Now the question comes as to where to purchase. We've already crossed off the dealers who don't have the capacity to do service. We've been walking through camp grounds and talking to people and were surprised at how many told us to wait for the RV shows. Thanks.
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

You can get a good deal at both,just know what you want and how much they cost..make sure your tow vehicle will tow the trailer..the dealer will tell you want you what to hear to make the sale..I drove 2&3 hours away and got a great deal 45mins away from my house..good luck..
Mudduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #3

We bought ours at the local camping show, from the local dealer. Got a good price, there service has been great. We had talked to them for the months.leading to the show so we know what they were offering before the show, and it was close the same price at the show. It just allowed us to compare alot of models and dealers at one time without driving all over the metro area.1

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:49 AM   #4

Thank you! This was really helpful. Another RV owner mentioned that it is best to purchase in winter; don't pay attention to the RV shows. Lots of great advice here, thankfully we have some time.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:55 AM   #5

We walked around looking and comparing for two days at the RV Show in Harrisburg, PA, last September. It was worth the effort, because we actually found a couple of floor plans that we liked better than the one we were considering before the show, and seeing and comparing the quality first hand was critical in our decision making.

Signed the paperwork (and made a small deposit) at the show, formalized the paperwork with the dealer (and my bank) a couple of weeks later, and picked-up the unit on Thanksgiving weekend.

Went to the Springfield, MA RV Show in Feb, to buy accessories!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:57 AM   #6

We purchased ours from a dealer at an RV show and we got an amazing discount. Very impressed. We went to the Hershey RV Show this past September. Before we went we had our choices narrowed down to 3 different brands / units and the RV show gave us an opportunity to walk in all 3 and compare. We then sat down with the dealer that was selling the one we wanted and mad a pretty amazing deal. Very happy we did it the way we did.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
We then sat down with the dealer that was selling the one we wanted and mad a pretty amazing deal.
Do you land with Fritz RV, out of PA? That's who the Jayco rep put us with, and we were, and are, very happy with them. It's funny, because Albany RV, a big Upstate NY Jayco dealer, is located about 15 miles from my house.... Didn't really want to try to do business with them again, anyway.....

Old 06-19-2016, 06:39 AM   #8

Actually we went with Rhone's RV out of Williamsport PA. Ended up being about a 4 hour drive for us, but well worth it. They were amazing and very accommodating to our needs. They even had us stay over night on their lot in our new FW. They told us to "use everything and make sure it all works". We found one or two items that they fixed in about 5 mins the next morning and we were on our way.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
We've been walking through camp grounds and talking to people and were surprised at how many told us to wait for the RV shows.
A lot of times the manufacturers will give the dealers extra incentives [discounts] at RV Shows to sell as many units as possible. We purchased our Eagle at an RV show and got an insanely good deal. If you don't want to wait for an RV Show, get a quote from RV Direct or any of the online dealers and take it to a local dealer to see if they'll match or come close to the price. Online guys seem to have the best prices.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

The wife and I did our shopping on the internet. At the time we made our purchase, there was only 1 Jayco dealer near us. They didn't stock many Jaycos because they were more in to carrying Forest River TTs, i.e. Coachmen, Rockwood, etc. So we looked at Jaycos' web-site and viewed the different floor plans. Once we settled on one we liked, we searched for dealers that were fairly close to us and had the model(s) we liked in stock to look at. The closest to us was in Cincy, Ohio.

So off we drove 3+ hours and looked at the Jayco hybrids, X20E and X23B. The DW really liked the larger model. Once we got back home, I called our dealer and said we found a unit we liked and asked them if they could get it for us, they replied no they weren't planning on stocking it. I even said I was willing to pay more for it because they are local, but still no go. So back we went to Cincy to make the purchase of our X23B.

One other thing I did was I got on RV Directs web-site and had them give me a quote on a custom built unit and I must say I was amazed at the price they gave me. It was better than any I had seen. I used this quote as a bargaining tool at the dealer.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #11

Thank you, that is a great idea. It seems that most of the big RV shows are not in CA which is surprising. Most of the shows we've seen here are "dealer shows."
Old 06-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #12

Thanks, we live in CA.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #13

Wow, thanks. We are very new to this and had seen "RV Direct" mentioned but since they weren't local I dismissed them the first time. Didn't even think about online dealiers.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #14

Thank you. I think I need to go visit RV Direct and see what they offer. Since we are going to be traveling anyway I would have no problem driving to pick up a new trailer.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #15

If you know what you want and have price shopped so you have a good idea of what your purchase price should be, then a show might offer a better deal, especially if they have mfr. incentives.

OTOH if you are just beginning your search and find one at a show that suits you, I'm of the opinion that that is basically impulse buying and may lead to paying too much and, price aside, buyer's remorse down the line when you realize there were better floor plans for your family, etc.

As one who has listened to over a thousand divorce cases, many were a result of marrying that first "successful" date.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #16

Quote:
So off we drove 3+ hours and looked at the Jayco hybrids, X20E and X23B. The DW really liked the larger model. Once we got back home, I called our dealer and said we found a unit we liked and asked them if they could get it for us, they replied no they weren't planning on stocking it. I even said I was willing to pay more for it because they are local, but still no go. So back we went to Cincy to make the purchase of our X23B.
That is a horrid dealer! We too knew what we wanted. Being in Maine dealers typically are low volume and dislike keeping much on the lot as between Nov and April there is lots of snow to move ( 150 inches)
10 minutes from home is one of the few Jayco dealers in state. I believe they are the only one that sells new. Of course they did not have the unit we wanted but there was no bait and switch. They simply said they would order what we wanted.
They did. They found transportation for the unit mid winter and we got it about 10 weeks after ordered.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #17

We purchased ours at an RV Show in January. We went on the last day of the show which resulted in a discount and purchased the floor model which resulted in an even better discount. Because it was the floor model it had the entertainment package already installed so we essentially got a free TV.
That being said I recently saw a commercial for a local RV Dealer that mentioned them having "show prices" extended for a couple of weeks.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #18

RV buying has changed the last few years with the upswing in sales. There's too many of fellow RVers walking in the local dealers and paying full price. Me being in sales are finding it tough to get good deal on a fifth wheel. We go to several shows per year to do research but the best advice which has been mentioned is knowing what you want and what you are willing to pay. I personally stay away from models with options that everyone wants. Also the list price or MSRP that is listed is BS. When I bought my current 334, I pinned 3 dealers against each other, my buy price was 8,500 different for the same year, model. You'll know real quick what RV dealer likes to make deals and who doesn't care if you buy from them or not. After settling in on the dealer I felt was serious which was three hours from home, wrote out the deal and slid it under the salesman face with the price I was willing to pay and they took the deal. The price may not seem fair to them but it's what your willing to pay. Another tip is to buy on a Saturday afternoon after thanksgiving, full time RV salesman hate working Saturdays, dealers hate carring left over inventory into the winter...
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #19

RVDirect is a GREAT low-cost supplier..... BUT, if you count on them for follow-up or warranty service, they would have to improve some to just SUCK.....

Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #20

We "found" ours at a show in NH. Went to the dealer (in Mass) a week later to take another look and compare interior colors. Was told that they had sold the one that was at the show and 4 or 5 more they supposedly had on order. Couldn't promise delivery until sometime in July (this was in early April).

Called the two dealers in Maine.

First one was basically at full list price on an in stock 2016. Told them it would be a cash deal with no trade. Refused to budge.

Second (closest to us) had a 27.5 RLTS on order for stock. They matched the show price and split the cost of the Corian countertop (it was already ordered that way) with us. Because it hadn't been scheduled we were able to change a couple of things (interior color and Morryde pin box) to our liking. In the end we got a 2017 (with all the upgrades) ordered to our specifications for the show price of a 2016. Needless to say we are pretty happy.
wfd44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase new trailer, rv show purchase