Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #1

Putting on trailer cover

I'm thinking the best way to put a cover on our 212QBW is to get up on the roof. Are these roofs built to handle a 200 lb guy up there?
FionaGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #2

I’m hoping so. I was up there a few weeks ago washing the roof.
But be careful at the front 4 feet - I stepped there and it felt like there was no support at all. Otherwise felt reasonably supportive. Just be careful.
Hars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaGrant View Post
I'm thinking the best way to put a cover on our 212QBW is to get up on the roof. Are these roofs built to handle a 200 lb guy up there?
We have the predecessor to your TT, and I'm a tad over 200 lbs, and get up there to cover, uncover, and check the roof. Ours is solid enough to walk on comfortably, for me.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Site Team

I've got you all by a pound or two.....LOL. No issue walking the roof.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

Putting on trailer cover

Does anyone else notice that on the 212qbw the fron t doesn’t have support when walking on it?
Hars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
CAG

My least favorite job when I was working on the ranch was topping out the 40' silos. No rail to keep you from backing off by accident and a fall that, if it did not kill you, would cripple you for life. Falls are the one accident that injures most people doing house work. I get on the roof of the RV at times but I do not like it. One slip...

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:19 PM   #7

I’m not 200 — yet — but I’ve been on the roof of our 212 and it felt solid. I was on the front installing the vent cover and it felt fine. I usually try to crawl rather than stand up, though, since I’m 6-6. Spreads the weigh a little better and helps me feel more comfortable.

As for the cover, I enlist my son’s help. I don’t have a built-in rear ladder. We each get on a stepladder on either side of the rig and put the rolled-up cover across the front roof. Then, just unroll it down the trailer toward the rear, over the AC, vent cover etc. Obviously, you have to get down a couple of times to move the ladders rearward, but it goes quickly. We just reverse the process when we uncover it so it’s in position for next year.

In all, It takes maybe 30 minutes with the straps and gutter protectors etc. Definitely safer than climbing on the roof.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #8

Just be careful of any vents/skylights... They can be brittle, and last year my friend cracked his 3yr old skylight while unrolling the cover on his trailer...
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #9

The instructions say to "cover or tape any sharp edges"

What kind of taping would be best? Duct tape seems too messy
FionaGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:27 PM   #10
PJC

We inherited our cover and the previous owners included some cut up pool noodles. Put the noodle over the sharp edges (ours are the front and rear corners) and secure with some painters tape. Then cover the whole thing with the actual cover. When it’s all tied down and snug, the cover will help hold the foam noodles in place.
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #11

Quote:

I use tennis balls on the four gutter spouts. The only other protection I do is between the straps and box edge where they go under the trailer. I cut some gray tube pipe insulation in half, then slice off sections and put each right on the corner, under the strap and cinch it tight. So far no rips, no runs, no errors.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:18 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

I use blue painters tape in all the sharp areas. In some places, multiple layers to pad them. Comes off really easy in the Spring.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I use tennis balls on the four gutter spouts. The only other protection I do is between the straps and box edge where they go under the trailer. I cut some gray tube pipe insulation in half, then slice off sections and put each right on the corner, under the strap and cinch it tight. So far no rips, no runs, no errors.
Same here, it just seemed like a split tennis ball was perfect for the downspouts. The cover came with fabric pocket bags to cover the spouts but don't seem adequate.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #14

I'm new to the game and would like to know where you folks got your covers?
Rodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #15

Cool R V covers and the tape to use.

There is a tape out there that works great and was designed for leaving no adhesive residue. GAFFERS tape. I buy this on amazon. you are going to love it. Was designed for the studios for filming.
haweinberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Don’t risk it. Too easy to fall off with all that fabric to manipulate. Leave it uncovered
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #17
msb

I cut a pool noodle to size, and throw a zip tie around it. Works perfectly to cover the sharp edges but water can still drain nicely. Lasts a couple years, too! ��
Old 11-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodek View Post
I'm new to the game and would like to know where you folks got your covers?
We bought as Adco on clearance from Camping World in 2012. (Trailer was purchased from a local Jayco dealer). That lasted to this year, and was showing age, so we bought one from National RV Covers on sale, and free freight. (Adco doesn't make the same cover any more).

We just put it on a couple of weeks ago, and am impressed with it so far. We also cover the gutter spouts with plumbing insulation pieces.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #19

So I just discovered today that I ordered the wrong size of cover my my RV. This is a cover I bought from Amazon a year ago but did not use as it was delivered quite late and we had already received snow. So, I was planning to put it on in a few days during some beautiful weather. We have a 32BHS. So the tarp I have is good to 33' and I figured that would be plenty but my husband warned me I better measure to be sure before I open the box so I did that just today. Well, with the ladder (which is only a few inches), I have just over 34'. (Why such a difference? when it says a 32BHS?!) Ugh, so my cover is useless obviously. Then I got looking at the cost of a new one big enough and could cry at how expensive they are, much more than the initial one I have bought. I debated using a tarp like I see all of my fellow campsite neighbours do but I do believe that is a huge no no. They can cause mildew etc. Any of you have experience with that? Do I suck up my pride and go buy a new, longer one?
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #20
Site Team

You can always place it in the Classifieds for sale, and recoup some of your investment for another larger cover.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD