Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #1

Qs on accessories etc...

Holding tank chemicals....what are these and where do I get them?

Also, what's a black tank sprinkler? Do I need one of those on my like new 2016 RL 20?

And a "fantastic fan"....do I need one of those in the bathroom?
dlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:29 AM   #2

You should already have a sufficient fan in the bathroom. I wouldn't worry with upgrading it yet.

Holding tank chems are just something you put straight into the toilet every time you use the camper. Just throw a bag (or pour a bottle depending on what you buy) down the toilet and then let a couple of gallons of water flow down (using the flush valve) to dissolve it and prep the black tank to hold the waste during the trip.

I assume "black tank sprinkler" is the black tank wash. It's just a "nice to have". Again, if this is your first, I wouldn't worry with it right now. Get the basics, then go on several trips. Keep a pen and a pad in the camper so that you can write down the "man I wish I had..." stuff.

My advice on everything else you'll need...."Amazon is your friend".
Old 10-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #3

My Factory fan in the bathroom was horribly deficient. Virtually zero air movement and very noisy. I upgraded to a Vortex 2 reversible. Noise level is slightly better but air flow if outstanding.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #4

Holding tank chemicals; There are lots of things people use, instead of commercially available RV chemicals. The purpose of the chemicals is to promote healthy bacteria, which helps keep odors down and in theory breakdown the poop. For most people, we do not keep poop in the tank long enough for it to help break it down. Where to get it; lots of places, Walmart, any RV store, Fleet Farm, amazon, to name a few places. All I use is a ¼ to ½ cup of Pinesol and a few gallons of water after each dump. I know others that add fabric softener or water softener to the mix every time. I do that occasionally when my tank sensors start acting up (very normal). The softeners, change the surface tension of the water, so the water can easily penetrate dried paper and poop, to help rinse it off the tank walls/sensors.

Blank tank wand, sprinkler, flush; all the same in concept. It helps flood the black tank with clean water to help rinse any residue down the drain. It is kinda like rinsing your kitchen sink after doing dishes.

In regard to the black tank, after dumping ALWAYS add a few gallons of water back into the tank. This helps keep the good health bacteria (odor control) alive. It keeps solid waste that remains from drying and sticking to the tank walls like concrete. Always add a lot of water when you flush the toilet. If you do not you will over time create what is referred to as the poop pyramid under the toilet which is never fun to clean out. Having lots of water in your black tank is your long term friend. When you’re ready to dump make sure the tank is at least 2/3 full. I just put my foot on the flush pedal and just let the water run down to fill the tank. More water helps the solids flow out of the tank. If you have full hookups at your campsite never leave the black tank drain valve open. Only open it whey you want to drain the tank. Always dump the black tank first, and then grey water tank next. This helps to flush the sewer hose.

I have also found if you keep a few gallons of water in my gray tank after dumping it also seems to help with odor control when the internal vents stick open (which they all do from time to time)

As for the Fantastic Fan, it’s really a personal choice. You can always upgrade later, as the power is already there for the existing fan.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
snip...
And a "fantastic fan"....do I need one of those in the bathroom?
If you need better air flow, you need a different fan. A Fantastic Fan is an outstanding fan, but installing it requires changing the cowl... which means removing the caulking on the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
My Factory fan in the bathroom was horribly deficient. Virtually zero air movement and very noisy. I upgraded to a Vortex 2 reversible. Noise level is slightly better but air flow if outstanding.
I have the Vortex 2 fan. It is an easy installation, all done from the inside, and no modification of the roof is needed.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
Site Team

I would recommend using the camper, reading about all the accessories you can add and decide if you need them.

Start with the basics and enjoy the experience.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote