Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

question

I am new to tt living I bought 2006 Jayco 23 ft I am wondering best preventive maintenance and how to seal the roof and can I hang a 32 inch tv on wall? I am a woman doing it alone
Danadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

1) best preventive maintenance : the Owners manuals will give you all of the routine preventative steps - go to Jayco web site for PDF versions

2)How to seal the roof: Cleaning and "conditioning" the roof is an easy task, but you need to know the type of membrane you have. Internet search will find lots of products. If you are talking about the "Caulk like" sealing of the joints, then you need a different approach. Emergency repairs can be made with the right product - again, an Internet search or RV store can give you what you need. If you are talking about replacing and re-caulking all the joints, this is best left to a pro.

3) can I hang a 32 inch tv on wall : Be very careful here - RV walls are not like the walls in your house. Usually, there is a pre-defined spot to mount a TV and its usually marked by the manufacturer with a label.

4) I am a woman doing it alone : So? Lots of very competent Women out there doing exactly what you are trying to do. Keep asking the questions. There is no shortage of opinions on this site.

Welcome!

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #3

Also search this site under "Social Groups" for "Colorado Campers" You can find some info on local campsite and others from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
3) can I hang a 32 inch tv on wall : Be very careful here - RV walls are not like the walls in your house. Usually, there is a pre-defined spot to mount a TV and its usually marked by the manufacturer with a label.
The label in my 2015 32RLDS was placed between two wall studs, so had I mounted my TV bracket there, I would only be fastening to the luan plywood - which would not have supported my 15" flat panel in the bedroom. I used my stud finder to locate the stud nearest the label (about 6" away), then put two lag screws into that stud. It is very solid.

So I suggest you do the same. Do not assume that label is placed in the right spot.

There was another thread here a few weeks ago about this subject. That person's solution was to mount a nice 1X6 trim board (stained and varnished to match the decor) across a couple wall studs, then attach the TV swivel bracket to the trim board. If your bracket needs to be fastened in a 4-bolt pattern, this solution is best for you. (Mine was for 2 vertical lag screws).

Also, a 32" TV is pretty heavy for a wall mount - especially on a swivel. If you do mount it on a swivel, be sure you design and install some sort of strap to hold it solidly against the wall when traveling, lest you arrive at your destination to find the TV bracket has been ripped from the wall from all the bouncing. Just my opinion - but it is what I would do.

Hope this helps with the TV problem!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #5

You can request Jayco customer service to send you the drawings showing the wall details since your trailer is out of the warranty period. I would also request the wiring diagrams for the trailer as well. You never know when you might need them. Also welcome to the forum and to the Jayco family. This forum is a very friendly place to seek advice and get questions answered.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote