Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
x2 on the comment about ensuring a bike rack is RV rated. I ordered a 5 bike rack from Thule a few years ago that now sits in my shop gathering dust because it isn't RV rated and I'm not willing to risk wrecking my RV and/or 5 bikes.
That is an excellent point. AFAIK, Swagman is one of the few manufacturers that don't have this restriction.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
That is an excellent point. AFAIK, Swagman is one of the few manufacturers that don't have this restriction.

Absolutely they do. Look at their website... they have a section specific for RV racks.

Call them, as I did when I bought my Swagman Dispatch, and they will tell you that the racks they certify for RV use are made structurally different that their standard racks.

They also said they will not warranty a failure of a non-RV rack being used on an RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #13

Doc, I have a folding tonneau and we put kayak paddles and lifejackets in the box of the truck so in box solutions won't work.

I really like the looks of the bumper replacement in the link supplied by J.Lockart. Looks relatively easy to self install and for the price of welding, you would have a much nicer looking and non rusting aluminum bumper replacement. Would there be any advantages to welding over this ?:

Mount-n-Lockā„¢ Heavy Duty Aluminum RV Replacement Bumper

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

I installed a front hitch on my F150, put the bikes up front.
Not had to worry about them since.
snookwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:01 AM   #15

I am planning on taking my trailer to a welding shop and having the rear bumper reinforced with 1X1 square steel tubing and cross-bracing. Then I will run a clamp-on receiver and a 2 bike carrier. I think with 2 bikes and the added strength it will be fine. My friend did this on his 5th wheel and it looks great and is super solid, no problems for him in 2 seasons and lots of miles.

On my last trailer I had the local Jayco dealer fab up a hitch welded to the frame, paid 500 dollars for parts and labour, and it looked like crap and started to fail after 1 long drive across the country.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:14 AM   #16

How about carrying those bikes on the FRONT of the travel trailer?
There are a couple of companies that make bike racks that hold the bikes on the tongue/A-frame of the trailer.

Arvika is very good, but also very expensive, it can carry up to 4 bikes.
Arvika RV Bike Carriers at Racks For Cars - www.racksforcars.com

And there is also the Bike Bunk. This may work with your 5 bike carrier that you already have. It is around $200.
https://www.strombergcarlson.com/car...-model-cc-275/

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #17

We have fork mounts and carry them inside the trailer. Our bottom bunk flips up and they go where the bottom bunk was. I know other have mounted on the collapsed dinette so you may want to search here as I know there were some pics posted.

I like it because it keeps our bikes dry and bug free and they are in solid and don't bang around. We did make a simple wooden "tray" where the rear wheels sit to stop movement of the rear wheels. We have a Swagman over the tailgate pad for when we arrive in case we want to drive out to trails and bike.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #18

+1 for @dewey02 response. We have the Arvika AFH2 which looks like the Stromberg Bike Bunk, but a LOT more sturdy (BB gets some bad reviews on Amazon for build quality). We use this with a Thule DoubleTrack rack. The combo is great as we can swap the rack around and mount it on the TV when we want to go to a trail while camping. Although the Thule isn't "RV Rated" it is effectively in the same position as it would be on the back of the SUV, with a lot less whip than it would experience on the bumper. It is also where I can keep a close eye on the gear while travelling.
My only complaint with the setup is that the Thule is a bit long, so comes pretty close to the back window of our SUV on tighter turns (should not be a problem if you have a pickup, pretty sure it would clear the gate). Have never hit yet; we tested pretty carefully in a parking lot before hitting the road. I do remove it for backing, as I do think it would obstruct in a full jackknife.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
How about carrying those bikes on the FRONT of the travel trailer?
There are a couple of companies that make bike racks that hold the bikes on the tongue/A-frame of the trailer.

Arvika is very good, but also very expensive, it can carry up to 4 bikes.
Arvika RV Bike Carriers at Racks For Cars - www.racksforcars.com

And there is also the Bike Bunk. This may work with your 5 bike carrier that you already have. It is around $200.
https://www.strombergcarlson.com/car...-model-cc-275/

Their website says SUPPORTS 100 lbs.
Bike rack and 5 bikes will weigh more than 100 pounds.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Surge Guard 34830
2012 26BH (Traded)
2002 Prowler Lynx (totaled from tire blowout)
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 PM   #20

We bought the Curt adjustable travel trailer hitch and bolted to the 10" Beam frame on our last 32BHDS. It's adjustable, fits any frame width, and an easy install.

kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote