Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Their website says SUPPORTS 100 lbs.
Bike rack and 5 bikes will weigh more than 100 pounds.
RAurand - Good catch on the Bike Bunk. Clearly, this will not hold the weight of 5 bikes and the rack.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
Another option...

Order a set of safety struts from Mount-n-Lockâ„¢ Camper & RV Bumpers, Cargo Carrier Trays and Accessories

I installed a set three years ago and have been running a two position Swagman Dispatch rack (RV rated) ever since. For the bumper to come off now .... it would have to shear the metal struts.

I agree that welding a custom hitch is the ideal solution. But for those that can't afford that option ... is is a pretty darn good "Plan B".

Pic is of one strut on my Eagle 5'er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did the same thing on my previous RV.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
I second Clubhouse. Having ordered the bike tray, it is sturdy enough but there is no quick and efficient way to stop the bikes from moving around. I use a bunch of cut up styrofoam pool noodles with zipties to protect the bikes at every spot they could rub which is a PIA. The rack is okay for hauling firewood etc. but does not work very well as a bike rack.

At the top of my priority list this year is to install a 2 inch receiver and get a good quality rack so that upon arrival at our destination I can remove it from the trailer and put it on the truck to make it easier to transport bikes to go biking in the vicinity of where we are camping or get dropped off to do some one way rides back to the camper. A proper bike rack would make loading bikes so much quicker and more secure.

If anybody has photos of what they had welded up as a receiver or even the stock receiver on the new Jaycos it would be greatly appreciated.
Here are some pictures of the stock hitch off the 2016, I had it on my custom order from Jayco. It appears bolted to a few pieces of angle iron welded directly to the frame very near the end of the rails, not sure if that angle iron was added just for this or not. This is a 2016 29BHDS

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #24

I've got Swagman bike rack an lov it. Used it for about 4years now. I had bumper mount receivers on my last two 5ers and resorted to using ratchet tie down straps to secure the bike wheels to the bumper. Sounds silly but the Swagman holds the bikes tightly and the straps run from the bottom of the bike tires to the bumper kept them from bouncing. Never had any issues. That being said, I'm moving the bikes to my front receiver on the truck and mounting a cargo basket into the factory installed receiver on our new 321. Found a great one at Northern Tool with tall sides. Even though it'll only support 300 lbs I'll move my firewood, extra diesel and Honda generator out of the bed. Takes weight off the rear axel of the TV too.
I always shim the receiver when to minimize bounce and rattle too. Both seem to be as dangerous as weight on the back end of the trailer.

Just my two cents but it works for me.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
Another option...

Order a set of safety struts from Mount-n-Lockâ„¢ Camper & RV Bumpers, Cargo Carrier Trays and Accessories

I installed a set three years ago and have been running a two position Swagman Dispatch rack (RV rated) ever since. For the bumper to come off now .... it would have to shear the metal struts.

I agree that welding a custom hitch is the ideal solution. But for those that can't afford that option ... is is a pretty darn good "Plan B".

Pic is of one strut on my Eagle 5'er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to see they are working for you. I've been thinking about getting those for my 26 RLS.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote