Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #1

Question about cold temperatures

We have our RV set up in a camping area, dry camping basically. It's there for 9 weeks, but we only have access to it Friday - Sunday. The rest of the week the campground is closed.

This week, temperatures are supposed to get down to 29 over night, though I doubt they'll be that cold for long. I can't really winterize it, but I was thinking it may be best to turn off the pump and open the faucets so the lines don't freeze. The trailer has the liner underneath so they have SOME protection. Any thoughts?
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell5263 View Post
We have our RV set up in a camping area, dry camping basically. It's there for 9 weeks, but we only have access to it Friday - Sunday. The rest of the week the campground is closed.

This week, temperatures are supposed to get down to 29 over night, though I doubt they'll be that cold for long. I can't really winterize it, but I was thinking it may be best to turn off the pump and open the faucets so the lines don't freeze. The trailer has the liner underneath so they have SOME protection. Any thoughts?
It will take several hours of below freezing temps to start freezing up things inside the RV. The RV contents itself inside will keep the temps inside from getting as cold as it is outside for several hours.

So if it's only going to get down to 29 overnight and then rise above freezing again after sunrise, you are fine. A good example would be a bird bath. Unlike your plumbing inside the RV, the bird bath is completely exposed to the elements and may skim over a bit if temps fall below freezing for a few hours but will not freeze solid until temps are below freezing for much longer.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #3

I would open the low point drains and all the faucets, don't forget the outside shower if you have one. Turn off the water and disconnect the from the side of the RV.

A cup of pink antifreeze in the toilet might also be a good idea and don't forget to hold the flusher open a few seconds to get water out of the valve.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #4

Disposing pink antifreeze

I also have a 195. In late March I plan to flush out the system. Is that pink antifreeze safe to be drained into the municipal rain water system which goes to a recharge basin? I can't seem to get a definitive answer on this. Don't want to create an issue with the environment. Thanks
artie p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie p View Post
I also have a 195. In late March I plan to flush out the system. Is that pink antifreeze safe to be drained into the municipal rain water system which goes to a recharge basin? I can't seem to get a definitive answer on this. Don't want to create an issue with the environment. Thanks
You are good, RV antifreeze is non-toxic so its safe to dump on the ground.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #6

read...
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...wastewater.pdf
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #7

x2 on non toxic. I just run it out on the ground and flush it out. That is the whole idea of using it.. Won't hurt you if you failed to flush it out. The pink color might stain.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #8

X-3 run mine right onto the ground, then flush out the lines with water. Good to go.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell5263 View Post

in general the rule is 1 hour for every degree below 32 before the water freezes .

so if it is 10 degrees it will take about 10 hours to freeze the lines solid. They will most likely freeze to some extent within 5 hours... if at 29 degrees it will takel about 29 hours before the lines freeze...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:22 PM   #10

And if you or the weatherman are wrong you may need to replace the pump, backflow valve, water heater, any shutoffs, etc. , some or all plus potential flooding.

Pink is cheap, not much time to do it, I had a frozen and burst outside shower and regretted it and the $ involved.

I vote for winterize.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #11

I myself would open the low point drains, leave the furnace set at about 50 deg and it will be fine, especially since you have an underbelly liner.

Might open the cabinets to expose the kitchen and bathroom pipes to more heat, but I myself wouldn't worry about adding any pink.

I did that once in TX and seems like my water was pink for 2 months after that....lol
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote