Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

Question about fuse/breaker box on Jay Flight TT

Does anyone know if I would be able to wire a 2 gauge wire into the DC 12V part of my breaker box?

The wire itself is about 1/4" in diameter. I'm wondering if this will be too thick to wire into the DC 12V part of the breaker/fuse box.

If it is too thick, does anyone know of a way around this?
Skwidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #2

You can buy a crimp on reducing pin from an electrical wholesale house. What are you trying to do?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
You can buy a crimp on reducing pin from an electrical wholesale house. What are you trying to do?
I figured there had to be something like that, because I know you can crimp on lugs. I just wasn't sure if a "reducing pin" even existed or if it did, if it would be safe in this instance (I am a total novice).

I am planing on installing solar on my 195RB

4x 100W solar panels
200W inverter/charger
3x 100ah lithium batteries

More specifically, my question was regarding wiring from the positive terminal of my battery bank to the DC 12V breaker box that already exists in my trailer. I wish to use 2 gauge wire with a 100 amp breaker.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #4

Why? Your solar and charger only charges your batteries ( are you adding high amperage 12 volt appliances ? ) your inverter handles the 110 volt side and does need heavy wire but the 12 volt system should be ok as wired from the factory Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
Why? Your solar and charger only charges your batteries ( are you adding high amperage 12 volt appliances ? ) your inverter handles the 110 volt side and does need heavy wire but the 12 volt system should be ok as wired from the factory Les
I'm brand new to working with electrical stuff and solar, so I'm pretty much following the wiring diagram from Explorist Life's website, and he advises using 2 gauge wire with a 100 amp breaker between battery bank positive and the DC breaker box. Is is, however, wiring solar into a sprinter van and installing his own DC breaker box right next to his battery bank.

I'm looking at it like I have two options when wiring from the battery bank to the DC panel of the RV's OEM breaker/fuse box:

1.) Wire the 2 gauge from the battery bank positive to the positive terminal on the outside of the RV on the trail hitch part where the OEM battery from the factory used to hook up, as this is a nice short distance from my new battery bank and is already wired into the DC panel of the RV's breaker/fuse box. (I think this is what you were getting at).

2.) Run a 2 gauge wire from the battery bank directly to the DC panel of RV's breaker/fuse box and discard the OEM wiring that is already connecting the breaker box to the terminal on the front of the RV mentioned above.

To answer your question; no, I'm not adding any high amperage 12V appliances. The only things on the 12V circuit will be the lights, the fridge/water heater (even though both will be running on propane, I understand they draw a small amount from DC), a vent fan, and the little fan for a composting toilet.

I haven't yet decided between option 1 or option 2. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #6

Option 1: The wiring from the battery should all ready have the correct gage wire. However, the wire from the battery to the inverter should be a large gage wire. If you use a larger inverter such as a 1500 watt you can use your trailer power cord to plug into the output of the inverter. You just need to make sure you don't turn on the Air Conditioning or microwave. I believe those items can be damage if the voltage sag gets to low.

Here is a chart showing the wiring:Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar panel wiring.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	48526
Old 04-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akraft View Post
Option 1: The wiring from the battery should all ready have the correct gage wire. However, the wire from the battery to the inverter should be a large gage wire. If you use a larger inverter such as a 1500 watt you can use your trailer power cord to plug into the output of the inverter. You just need to make sure you don't turn on the Air Conditioning or microwave. I believe those items can be damage if the voltage sag gets to low.

Here is a chart showing the wiring:Attachment 48526
I'll be using 2/0 wire between the inverter and battery bank.

My plan is to wire the "AC out" from the inverter (using 12/2 Romex with a 15 amp breaker in between) directly into my RV's breaker box, replacing the existing wires that come from the shore power cord. I then plan to wire the shore power cord down and into the "AC in" of the inverter using 10/2 Romex.

My inverter is a 2000W inverter/charger with a built-in transfer switch, so when I do "plug in" at an RV park I will be charging my batteries as well as powering everything in the RV.