Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #1

Question about television

This may be a silly question but here goes. My TT has a 12v outlet and satellite antenna. I have never used it. Recently I added a cable line for park cable but normally we just used the TV to watch DVDs with the kids. I have been wondering about the 12v outlet and sat antenna. Do I need to use a 12v tv in order to use the antenna or can I use the reg power outlet for my standard tv and just connect the cable line to the antenna for sat reception. Am I missing something like maybe the need for a digital recvr or something? I'm really ignorant when it comes to tvs, radios, etc.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #2

In the bedroom my TT has a 12VDC outlet that I use for a fan. No you don't have to use a 12VDC TV you can use a regular TV with shore power or a generator. Of course you will need to find the correct outlet.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #3

So to level set, are you discussing this:

The plate on the right is the 12V and Power Antenna (Not Satellite, but the roof mounted Batwing). So one question at a time.

You do NOT need a 12V Television for any TV reception (Antenna, Cable or Satellite).

Not to be insulting, but could you be confusing the roof mounted TV antenna for a Satellite system? If you have just the roof mounted TV antenna (crank on the inside to crank up, then can rotate to get the best signal) then you need only a digital television which is basically any newer TV set.

I suspect you're talking about a TV antenna, not satellite.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

Just be aware there is not alot of DC CURRENT available from the Antenna Panel shown above. If you overload it you will kill your 12VDC going to the pre-amplifier inside the roof mounted OTA antenna setup. Not sure where the fuse is for this 12VDC source.

I read alot of folks will use this 12VDC receptacle to power up their cell phone charger or computer battery when camping off the power grid. I personally would be hesitant to plug-in something that draws alot of DC current into this receptacle.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #5

There is no need to mess with the A/B cables inside your unit unless you are using a satellite input. If you are just hooking up cable, it goes straight through to your tv. The a/b cables are to put a satellite receiver in for satellite signals. Regular tv and cable will work fine. You just have to reprogram your tv each time you move to accept the signals in your area. Hope I did not confuse you. Make sure your button is pushed for your tv signals and the little light comes on to improve tv reception.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #6

Okay. I think I got it and no I am not insulted nylyon. My knowledge is admittedly lacking when it comes to electronics. I was referring to the rooftop TV antenna as the satellite antenna. I know I don't have satellite. I believe the problem I have is that my TV is an older (10yrs or more) flat screen. I'll probably need a digital signal box or a newer TV. Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #7

MICRON _ I wouldn't waste money on a Digital TV Conversion Box. You can pick up a very nice 19-inch VIZIO HDTV for around $150 and less... This will give you the full benefit of the Digital TV signals.

Also now that NATIONAL BROADCAST SYSTEM has changed over to digital TV you can pick-up FULL HIGH TV SIGNALS from the local towns using your OTA BATWING antenna. These are all FREE to the public... Digital TV is MUCH MUCH better than the old analog TV modes...

something to think about...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Just be aware there is not alot of DC CURRENT available from the Antenna Panel shown above. If you overload it you will kill your 12VDC going to the pre-amplifier inside the roof mounted OTA antenna setup. Not sure where the fuse is for this 12VDC source.

I read alot of folks will use this 12VDC receptacle to power up their cell phone charger or computer battery when camping off the power grid. I personally would be hesitant to plug-in something that draws alot of DC current into this receptacle.

Roy Ken
I think this is more dependent on your convertor than the receptacle itself. The receptacle itself is typically going to be rated for 15 or 20 amps. I can't find specs, but the booster can't be drawing more than a couple of amps. A 12 volt TV isn't going to draw much more than 4 amps. An incandescent bulb for an RV can pull as much as 2 amps. A phone charger only draws about 2 amps. So plugging in a 12 volt TV into this receptacle is not going to cause an overload, unless every 12 volt appliance and light is turned on. And as you use more 12 volt devices, its why your convertor fan runs louder and faster. That in itself was part of my motivation to swap out all the bulbs for LEDs. Much easier on the convertor.

When dry camping we used run a 12 volt tube TV that drew far more amperage than an LCD screen and never had an issue with overload.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #9

Roy- I agree with you. I am looking at smaller HDTVs. I might even get an under counter TV/DVD combo. Counter space is very limited in my trailer.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
Roy- I agree with you. I am looking at smaller HDTVs. I might even get an under counter TV/DVD combo. Counter space is very limited in my trailer.
Agree, I have a few laying around. I think they are hard to find anymore after the gov. gave one to every person in the US.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote