Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #1

Question for the veteran campers...

As the title says, I have a question for the veteran campers out there...

Can anyone give me a good step by step routine for what you do once you get to camp to get set up. Also, what are some items that, from your experience, you found out are a necessity that us rookie campers would not think of that are needed for a long weekend in the TT. As you can probably tell, I am new to the whole TT camping world, but very, VERY eager to get out and enjoy my new Jay Flight 26BH!

Thank you all in advance!
- Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Combat Action Badge, Airborne, Air Assault
- Sigma Chi - Kappa Zeta Chapter
Aaron67Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. This is what I do, 1} Set trailer where you want it in the campsite. 2} chock both set of wheels on trailer, 3} disconect the trailer from the truck, 4} level trailer front to back. 5} put down the stabilizers and then level side to side, 6}plug in electric cable, [wife will go inside and put out slides and get the inside ready, 7} I will hook up water and sewer, 8}go inside and help the wife finish up. If need be I will go out side and jack the stabilizers down a little more if the trailer needs it. Once you get a system going it will be like you don't even have to think about it you just do it. again congrats Ernie.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Aaron67Camaro,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

Good questions, but may be a little challenging to answer! We all have our little set-up habits, and very with type of trailer. Some things I do without thinking, but here's my CG routine for my Eagle (as I recall):

* Level site preferred, easier to unhitch/hitch, and use less leveling blocks.
* What is large rear living room window facing?
* How close to adjoining sites and their fire rings, any overhead obstructions.
* Location of shore power hookups, and no obstructions for opening awning/slide(s).
* Remove side mounted sway control bar before backing up if you have one, I don't.
* Move TT in location, check side-to-side for levelness, address accordingly.
* Block (or chock) tires. Plug-in shore power. Disconnect safety chains, e-brake cable, & 7-pin connector. Place wood blocks under tongue jack stand.
* Raise TV/TT with tongue jack (power I hope) & remove spring bars. Lower TV/TT, unlock TT coupler, raise TT Tongue coupler from hitch ball, move TV away from TT.
* Level TT front to back, place wood blocks under four stab jacks, lower/snug rears first, than fronts. Check that tire blocks (or chocks) are still snug.
* Open awning, especially if setting up in rain, and place a lounge chair under awning. Go into TT, open frig, pull out a cold one, head out to lounge chair and chill for a few moments ....it was a long drive.
* Double check for obstructions, then open slide(s). Re-check 4-stab jacks for snugness. If your sewer drain hook-up is under the slide, you may want to hook-up before opening the slide.
* Turn on A/C or heat. Hook-up outside water and sewer connections.
* Finish securing awning (hurricane straps, etc.).
* Head back to the frig.

That covers the main elements for me, everything else is all inside/outside comfort things.

Now, what did I forget???

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #4

Take a pad of paper along with you. Take some notes and start making yourself some checklists. As you go through the weekend, you will find all kinds of ideas and just jot them down. Also - as you do things like put up the TV antenna, make a note of what you need to do when you leave.

You will find what you like to have with you are different than others, so it is a lot of personal preference. Go take walks around the camp sites and take a look at what others have setup - I have gotten a lot of ideas from doing that. If you see something that interest you at a campsite, ask them about it....most folks are more than willing to talk to you. Same goes for help - if you can't figure something else, go get your neighbor...you will rarely find someone that won't help you out.

For your first campout or two, try to go somewhere near a Wal-Mart or similar store. That way you can make a trip or two and grab some things you might have forgotten.

Good Luck and enjoy!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

here's some good reading---> http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2359
2003 ford f250 7.3 diesel shortbed-47000 miles
firestone air bags-edge evolution programmer
jwb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Welcome to the forum. This is what I do, 1} Set trailer where you want it in the campsite. 2} chock both set of wheels on trailer, 3} disconect the trailer from the truck, 4} level trailer front to back. 5} put down the stabilizers and then level side to side, 6}plug in electric cable, [wife will go inside and put out slides and get the inside ready, 7} I will hook up water and sewer, 8}go inside and help the wife finish up. If need be I will go out side and jack the stabilizers down a little more if the trailer needs it. Once you get a system going it will be like you don't even have to think about it you just do it. again congrats Ernie.
That would work using the stablizers on the front of a fiver, but that still leaves the rear.Jayco cautions against using stablizers or frame jacks on a TT to lift the trailer because of the danger of bending the frame. Most people level side-to-side by driving one side up on some type of pad and then leveling front to back withthe tongue jack.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
snip.......using stablizers or frame jacks on a TT to lift the trailer because of the danger of bending the frame. Most people level side-to-side by driving one side up on some type of pad and then leveling front to back withthe tongue jack.
X2

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
That would work using the stablizers on the front of a fiver, but that still leaves the rear.Jayco cautions against using stablizers or frame jacks on a TT to lift the trailer because of the danger of bending the frame. Most people level side-to-side by driving one side up on some type of pad and then leveling front to back withthe tongue jack.
X3
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #9

Must haves:
1. reversible polypropylene patio mat
2. blocks of wood (small square blocks) and a few long pieces; all for leveling
3. an extension cord
4. water hose
5. a level
6. chocks for tires
7. a folding table (for outside)
8. portable fan OR portable space heater w/thermostat (depending on season)
9. broom
PrellFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #10

aaron67camaro-- The very first thing is check for good looking neighbors, if none, move to another site. Larry
Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19h f250 View Post
aaron67camaro-- the very first thing is check for good looking neighbors, if none, move to another site. Larry
exactly..........
2003 ford f250 7.3 diesel shortbed-47000 miles
firestone air bags-edge evolution programmer
jwb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb023 View Post
exactly..........

*** Noted! Thanks!
- Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Combat Action Badge, Airborne, Air Assault
- Sigma Chi - Kappa Zeta Chapter
Aaron67Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
aaron67camaro-- The very first thing is check for good looking neighbors, if none, move to another site. Larry
Is that why I have people fighting over the sites on either side of me?

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain2000 View Post
is that why i have people fighting over the sites on either side of me?
lol
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #15

When your ready to leave the cg after your all hooked up, take a walk around both the tv and tt. If your asked about something while hooking up, it is easy to forget something even if you follow the same steps every time. You see the pros' do it with their rigs. I've caught myself missing the odd thing every now and then. Usually the coffee cup on the table but there is lots to remember.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #16

I walk about about 5 times...lol....and then I tell my DW to walk around - she can usually find something that I just plain missed.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #17

Items our family has on hand for setup - Extra 30 amp cord, adapter 20amp to 30amp, electric cord, two water hoses, wrench to tighten water hose (needed sometimes to prevent water leaks from campground water supply) handful of 1x6 boards (15" to 17" long) for leveling TT and picnic tables, chocks, platform step, dingo lights for awning, 6x6 blocks (12" long) under stabilizer jacks, 10 gallon propane tank for grill, folding chairs, cooler filled with your favorite beverages and good friends and family.
rolling condo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #18

Everyone has pretty much nailed it, just take your time setting up.

I always do a couple of walk arounds before leaving. Windows shut, antenna down, jacks up, doors locked, TT connections working, power cord unplug & properly stored, ect. Give it sometime, experience is a great teacher.

We always keep a little note pad on the range hood. If we forget something or want to add something to the camper, we jot it down for the next trip. We also keep a simple check list there as well.

Most importantly relax & have fun.

Been camping with a TT know for 7 or 8 years. Seems like we always leave something behind on our 1st outing of the season!
Chazinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #19

I always connect the water before the power just in case the dear wife decides to turn on the hot water heater prematurely. A inline water filter and lynx levelers are nice to have. I also bring a cordless drill with a 3/4" socket attachment to use on the jacks to speed things up.
r3024bl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #20

Hey welcome new member and new camper!
All of the advise given here sounds great and should help you determine your own set-up/tear-down "routine" to follow every time. May I suggest that once you figure out what your routine is, write it down on a note pad and post it inside one of your cupboard doors for quick future reference. This way you know that you won't overlook a step. I just bought a 2006 27BH, the same model as yours just a few years older (they changed the name to 26BH). I marvel at how much easier this trailer is to set-up than any of my four previous ones. ENJOY!!
Michael
Camping Guy1 is offline   Reply With Quote