Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2024, 09:04 PM   #1

Question on Battery Disconnect

Just recently bought a used 2022 Jay Feather 24BH, so very new to the RV world. When the dealer was going through the delivery process with me, she said to pull the battery disconnect when not in use so nothing left on would drain the battery. There is solar installed on the roof. Tonight with or without the battery disconnect engaged I can turn on lights in the RV. Where is the power coming from?
AZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:42 PM   #2

On our 2022 the only thing the battery disconnect does is stop the battery from charging, everything in the trailer that is 12v still works till you run the battery down.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:55 PM   #3

Mark B, thanks for the reply. So what is the recommendation on when to use the disconnect? When I store it I leave the battery on trickle charge, and disconnect on. Trickle charger is hooked to the battery terminals. I’m assuming when I’m boon docking I don’t disconnect it then so that the solar charges it? They didn’t do a great job explaining this to me and the owners manual is no help.
AZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:25 AM   #4

Personally I have a piece of tape on mine, so it doesnít get bumped.
I would take the battery out and leave it on a maintainer for the winter.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:08 AM   #5

AZRob, The solar charging should be ample to keep it topped off while not in use, especially here in AZ. Mine is always on, I never use the battery disconnect unless I am doing some maintenance that requires it. Even then the solar unless covered will still be generating and putting 12v power into the trailer, at least how mine was wired from the factory. I have since rewired that a bit and have a switch to disconnect the solar panels as well. Since we dont have the snow etc in the PHX area that other areas have in then the solar should be more than enough while in storage as long as its not covered storage or in a garage.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:15 AM   #6

Often sales and even service techs will not know how your trailer works. But if you have 12v power with the disconnect engaged (meaning open) and shore power disconnected, you are running straight off the battery. You need to investigate how your system is set up. Schematics available from Jayco service might help.

If you have 120AC available, I would just leave the trailer plugged in. Adapters to 15A ac plugs are cheap. The onboard converter is better than most trickle chargers for maintaining your batteries.

Do not disconnect the battery while the solar panel is connected unless it is under cover. In sunlight, the panel voltage can exceed the maximum that the solar controller can handle if the battery is not there to limit it.

If no power is available, cover or disconnect the solar panel, then remove the battery and maintain it elsewhere.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 01:32 PM   #7

My little trailer doesn't even have a battery disconnect other than pulling the fuse. I do nothing for the electrical when I park for the winter; the solar panel takes care of things. The parasitic draws are small and the batteries can handle a couple of weeks at a time with snow on the panel. I live near Buffalo, snowing (again) now!
Old 01-19-2024, 07:21 AM   #8

I would definitely look into installing a cutoff switch for the solar panels if this was mine. At some point you will need to shut off that power coming from the panels and a shutoff switch will make your life a lot easier.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 06:41 AM   #9

AZRob, I’m with you on the confusion with the battery disconnect. I was told or maybe I read this, the BD keeps the slide-out and awning from engaging while in transit ( a truly scary thought !) On the next nice sunny day, I’m going to turn on and off the BD, and make a list of everything that turns on and off inside.
Gregory N Whitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 06:36 PM   #10

Our Jayco didn't have anything. I learned the hard way because my battery died the first year. Our previous RVs were 100% propane, so we had little electrical experience. Sooooo, I re-wired it myself.

I installed a marine grade battery disconnect on the battery. When the switch is off, the battery provides no current to the RV. No more parasitic drains.

I also added a solar system. It provides juice to the battery ALL the time, whether it is disconnected from the RV or not. My battery is now at 100%, 100% of the time.

When we go camping and plug in the 120 V cable, and then turn on the battery switch, the house battery charger and the solar system work in tandem to keep everything up to snuff.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:53 PM   #11

The only way to turn off all power is to disconnect at the batteries themselves. The battery disconnect will still provide power to the electronics. There is a slow drain to your batteries.
In the battery compartment there are two switches one for each battery. Push the button on each and the batteries are completely disconnected. We always do this when we store our unit. Before we started doing this our batteries were always dead. Now we have no problem.
CoraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 02:56 PM   #12
Site Team

There are no standard methods but most rigs I have owned have 12vdc power to the co/lp alarms and radio no matter if the cutoff is on or off. I didn't have one on my current rig so I added a knife switch at the battery.

Before that and when I did not have power to the rig the battery would drain down in a week or so.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:52 AM   #13

Did you have the trailer plugged into shore power when you turned off the batteries? If so, the shore power will run your lights. If not, something is wired incorrectly. Turning off the battery disconnect should do just that, disconnect the battery. Some have a 12+ always hot wire for the Carbon Monoxide detector and or smoke detectors, other than that, it should be dead if the 12v disconnect switch is off and shore power is disconnected.
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:20 AM   #14

I found this behind a close out panel in our 5th wheel's front compartment. Not sure if Jayco installs a similar label on all different RV's.
Remember, installing a disconnect directly on the battery will disable your emergency breakaway switch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210309_124902493.jpg  
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
On our 2022 the only thing the battery disconnect does is stop the battery from charging, everything in the trailer that is 12v still works till you run the battery down.
x2 this.

That battery disconnect switch has so many people confused. So confused, even dealers give erroneous information about it.

I've read a lot about it, or searched a lot about it, since getting my new camper Jay Feather 2022 22rb, this past October.

I parked the rig (at home) turned that switch, believing I was disconnecting all power draw from the camper and within 2 days my battery was dead. I have 190 watts of solar on the roof.

My first question was HOW did the battery go dead, if I have solar? At the very least it should have been able to keep the battery topped off from those parasitic loads.

I did confirm the charge controller was sending power to the battery. I went inside and found I had left on the hood light, above the range. I didn't check, but assumed the bulb in the hood unit is not a low wattage LED type and the reason for the drain. Also, it had been raining for days, without sun.

Like Mark B said: That disconnect keeps power from going TO your battery, but it does not stop parasitic draw from your camper....at least that's what I've read and concluded, by those who know more than me.

I leave the rig plugged in at home. Haven't bothered to test if solar actually charges those batteries with the disconnect turned off. I had a cheap multimeter but it died and I haven't bought a new one, yet.

I'd say when the disconnect is used solar SHOULD still charge your batteries since it is fact, you shouldn't run solar panels without a source to collect that energy (the battery) or you can damage the charge controller.

These disconnect switches are part of the camper...not the solar 'option' so, I think the solar acts on its own and isn't part of the disconnect?

To me, the switch is more confusion than it's worth.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:36 AM   #16

I don't know how the new campers are rigged, as it relates to factory solar install or battery switch. But a 200 watt solar panel that I see listed on some of the campers should keep the battery charged if you are not using your 12 volt equipment inside while sitting idle at your home.

Of course in the winter time and in northern areas the angle of the sun is such that you are not producing full power from the sun to the battery.

But you also should not have to turn your battery switch off either for fear of your battery going dead. This has been my experience anyway. I don't keep my camper plugged in at all while not using it and I maintain 12.6 as a rule with duel group 24 deep cycle flooded acid batteries.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:26 PM   #17

And the solution is Ö..

From all the comments on Battery Disconnects, would it be wise, if storing for more than 30 days, just disconnect the battery at the terminals, take it somewhere warm, and hook up a 1amp maintainer? So the question now is ó does it hurt the roof solar system if it isnít hooked up to a battery?
Gregory N Whitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:37 PM   #18

Just brought home a new ‘23 Feather 26RL and was told at dealership that the disconnect would remove power from everything running 12 VDC. Found out this evening that’s not true. Put my trailer in storage this evening, turned the disconnect to “off”, and found I still had power to the 12VDC refrigerator and the Jaycommand console. All the lights were deactivated as well as the BT/radio unit. Found a schematic next to the disconnect in the storage compartment, but was too tired to wrap my brain around the details, so plan to go back tomorrow with a multimeter to try and figure out what’s really going on. Freeze expected in 5 days so gotta figure out how to deal with battery removal for freeze protection. On previous 264BH trailer, I just pulled the battery and took inside. Was planning for same on this new 26RL until I read comments above about solar panel considerations which is now relevant since my unit came with the 190W panel and controller. So confused…..
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory N Whitis View Post
From all the comments on Battery Disconnects, would it be wise, if storing for more than 30 days, just disconnect the battery at the terminals, take it somewhere warm, and hook up a 1amp maintainer? So the question now is ó does it hurt the roof solar system if it isnít hooked up to a battery?
Probably. The solar panel can generate a higher voltage than your controller may be able to handle if it is not regulated by the battery. Cover or disconnect the panel before disconnecting the battery.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:31 PM   #20

I installed a battery disconnect on our trailer. I took every wire off of the pos side of the battery and put it on one side of the disconnect. Then took a battery cable and ran it from the other side of the disconnect to the pos side of the battery. When I turn off the disconnect everything get shut off. There is no draw on the battery whatsoever. Nothing works until I turn on the disconnect. Even when I 120 volts to the trailer no power gets to the battery
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote