Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

Question on iRV32 unit and Furrion back up camera

Hi all. We just picked up our 2018 28BHS the other day. Nice step up from our 267 BHSW SLX.
Anyway, it is prepped for a back up camera and supposed to be plug and play. Anyone help out with what I plug in to play?
Also has an Insignia TV with the iRV 32 entertainment deck. I know why we get interior speakers to work on a DVD, but trying to figure out how to do it when only using the TV. Pretty sure I need to run an AV cable or something from the TV to the deck, but wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue to speed up my learning curve.
Thanks!
racertoms27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #2

Anyone?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #3

Hi there! We picked up our 2018 330RSTS on Saturday and we have both of these systems.

The backup camera was already installed on our rig, so we just had to put the monitor in the truck and plug it in - it automatically connected. I'm not sure what you have to do to physically install the camera onto the trailer, however, if it's not already there.

We have the same issue with our TV as well, if you play a DVD the speakers work and if you use the antenna they don't. My husband went through all the documentation and he's pretty sure that he just needs to run a single cable to connect, and there was one provided in the documentation/stuff package. We'll do that on our maiden voyage in two weeks.

Hope that helps.
alegria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #4

Thanks for your feedback. Hope you enjoy your new rig and upcoming trip!
Old 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Did you change the input on the entertainment deck? When using the digital antenna, the TV acts as the tuner and it outputs the audio to the entertainment deck, which in turn outputs to the speakers. One of the inputs on the deck should have the TV sound when using the antenna. This isn't necessary when using BluRay because the deck itself is generating the audio.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #6

Thanks for responding. Pretty sure the only thing hooked up to the TV is the coax cable. In your scenario, wouldn’t I need AV cables from the TV to the deck?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #7

For the camera it is prepped for this:

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-38155.../dp/B010XWNFOM

Means the mount bracket and the wiring is there. It's a quick 4 screw install.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by racertoms27 View Post
Thanks for responding. Pretty sure the only thing hooked up to the TV is the coax cable. In your scenario, wouldn’t I need AV cables from the TV to the deck?
Unless something has changed significantly from my 2013 White Hawk, yes you would need a connection back to the audio deck for broadcast TV sound. Our unit had RCA inputs on the back wired to the TV and we had to switch the input on the audio deck to hear broadcast TV through the speakers. Unless the TV tuner has moved to the newer audio decks, there has to be a way to get the audio out of the TV and into the deck.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.H View Post

Thanks. Wasn’t sure what pieces I need. Now I do.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.H View Post

Dave is correct. This is what I purchased for mine, plug and play.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleyz View Post
Unless something has changed significantly from my 2013 White Hawk, yes you would need a connection back to the audio deck for broadcast TV sound. Our unit had RCA inputs on the back wired to the TV and we had to switch the input on the audio deck to hear broadcast TV through the speakers. Unless the TV tuner has moved to the newer audio decks, there has to be a way to get the audio out of the TV and into the deck.

That is what I’m figuring. Camper is over at storage, so I need to get it home and dig deeperz
Old 04-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #12

When you get a chance to look at it, look for an HDMI output on the back of the combo unit and look for an HDMI input on the TV that is labeled ARC (Audio Return Channel). If you have these and an HDMI cable connected, the combo unit would need to be set to ARC or whatever it labels this source as. This would allow the sound coming into the TV through the antenna connection to travel to the combo unit and be played through the speakers. The rca cable method will obviously work but often stuff equipped with ARC has CEC controls too. This allows two devices connected via HDMI to communicate. An example of how this works is, I put a DVD into my Furrion unit, it automatically turns on the TV and switches it to the proper input. These types of functions are not available when the devices are connected via RCA cables. Hope this makes sense, I've been up since 4:30AM....

edit... Online I can't find info on the iRV32 but the 34 shows that it has HDMI and ARC.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
When you get a chance to look at it, look for an HDMI output on the back of the combo unit and look for an HDMI input on the TV that is labeled ARC (Audio Return Channel). If you have these and an HDMI cable connected, the combo unit would need to be set to ARC or whatever it labels this source as. This would allow the sound coming into the TV through the antenna connection to travel to the combo unit and be played through the speakers. The rca cable method will obviously work but often stuff equipped with ARC has CEC controls too. This allows two devices connected via HDMI to communicate. An example of how this works is, I put a DVD into my Furrion unit, it automatically turns on the TV and switches it to the proper input. These types of functions are not available when the devices are connected via RCA cables. Hope this makes sense, I've been up since 4:30AM....

edit... Online I can't find info on the iRV32 but the 34 shows that it has HDMI and ARC.

Makes perfect sense. I’m not sure the 32 has the HDMI at all, but I’m hoping it does.
Funny thing on the iRV 32. Dealer told me when we picked the unit up that we should expect the iRV 32 to fail at some point. He asked Jayco how they managed to find a crappier unit than the Furrion for the entertainment deck! Maybe when it craps out I can work a deal for the iRV 34.....
Old 04-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Makes perfect sense. I’m not sure the 32 has the HDMI at all, but I’m hoping it does.
Funny thing on the iRV 32. Dealer told me when we picked the unit up that we should expect the iRV 32 to fail at some point. He asked Jayco how they managed to find a crappier unit than the Furrion for the entertainment deck! Maybe when it craps out I can work a deal for the iRV 34.....
Even funnier thing.... my Furrion has been flawless. The TV even has a pretty darn good picture. What I dont understand is the industries failure to adopt Blu-ray. Oh well, the whole system is more for rainy day and before bed entertainment.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:37 AM   #15

We had the Furrion in our old unit and didn’t have any issues with it either. This new unit was in production when we were looking and the dealer was able to put our name on it before it was completed. We expected the Furrion set up, but it came off assembly with the Insignia/iTV32. Insignia picture seems really good for the short time we have seen it.
We use the the TV/entertainment as you do, rainy days and evenings. Just want to get the most out of it if possible.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #16

Quote:
We had the Furrion in our old unit and didn’t have any issues with it either. This new unit was in production when we were looking and the dealer was able to put our name on it before it was completed. We expected the Furrion set up, but it came off assembly with the Insignia/iTV32. Insignia picture seems really good for the short time we have seen it.
We use the the TV/entertainment as you do, rainy days and evenings. Just want to get the most out of it if possible.
30+ years of combined (between the wife and i) employment at best buy has put many insignia products on our household, including two led TVs that we still have and are still working great after 7 and 9 years roughly.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
30+ years of combined (between the wife and i) employment at best buy has put many insignia products on our household, including two led TVs that we still have and are still working great after 7 and 9 years roughly.

That’s great to hear. Hope they hold up to the rigors of transport in a camper.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #18

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

This has pics of an iRV32 and some more info about a similar issue.