Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #1

Question Question on odd wear on tire

I'm looking at a 2013 22FB. The dealer tells me it has 3 different (meaning brands, I presume) tires on it, and the right rear tire shows evidence of wearing on the inside edge.

Is this a red flag? What could cause this? Bent rim, damaged hub, bent axle?

Thanks for your help.

Erroll
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #2

Could be simply needing an alignment. I had wear on the inside of a tire on the rear axle of my last 5W and a trip to a trailer alignment shop corrected the problem.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Could be a variety of things. Maybe an alignment, maybe you pulling pulling you tt with the nose down and your getting excessive wear while turning. One side of the tt is loaded heavier than the other.

Does your tt have torsion springs or traditional leaf springs?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #4

It's not my trailer. It's one I'm looking at, at the dealer. I don't know the history behind the trailer. The Jayco has traditional leaf springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Could be a variety of things. Maybe an alignment, maybe you pulling pulling you tt with the nose down and your getting excessive wear while turning. One side of the tt is loaded heavier than the other.

Does your tt have torsion springs or traditional leaf springs?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Is this a red flag?
Depends on how you look at it. It is certainly a flag to pull out the negotiation skills. 3 different tires, and one badly worn would indicate to me that there is an issue with the axles or suspension. I would assume that the mismatched tires indicates additional blowouts.

The "best case" scenario is that the previous owner was simply overloading and if there is no damage to the components you would be fine as long as you don't also overload.

But otherwise, I would strongly suspect an axle or suspension issue. The good news is that trailer suspensions are fairly simple, and the parts are relatively cheap. If you have access to a good trailer repair shop, they would be able to diagnose and correct the issue. It could be a bent axle (corrected by rebending), wear of the leaf spring connection bolts (replace with upgraded wet bolts), a broken leaf spring, etc.

Worst case would probably be a damaged/misaligned frame, or mismounted axles causing "crabbing". These would generally be more difficult to correct, but are fairly rare occurrences.

What does the dealer say about the cause of this? If he is selling you the unit, he should have at least taken a look to determine the cause of any issue.

ETA: and I would be thinking about $3k off for the issue - a ballpark $2k for a suspension issue, and $1k for 5 all new good quality tires, installed and balanced.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #6

I was thinking you where talking about your tt. I would say, multiple blowouts or individual tire replacements for some reason. Did you look in the wheel wells for damage repair? Makes me think the last owner was not good about maintenance

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 04-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #7

I haven't been able to see it. It's in Florida and I'm in Virginia.
I'm planning on seeing it when I go to Florida next week. My wife's mother and sister live there.

I'm just trying to figure out if I even want to pursue the matter. It's bad enough to buy a used trailer not knowing of any potential problems. I certainly don't want to buy a trailer knowing there might be big problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I was thinking you where talking about your tt. I would say, multiple blowouts or individual tire replacements for some reason. Did you look in the wheel wells for damage repair? Makes me think the last owner was not good about maintenance
Old 04-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #8

If there is a strong possibility of axle/suspension problems I will probably pass. I don't want to deal with them.

Thanks,

Erroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Depends on how you look at it. It is certainly a flag to pull out the negotiation skills. 3 different tires, and one badly worn would indicate to me that there is an issue with the axles or suspension. I would assume that the mismatched tires indicates additional blowouts.

The "best case" scenario is that the previous owner was simply overloading and if there is no damage to the components you would be fine as long as you don't also overload.

But otherwise, I would strongly suspect an axle or suspension issue. The good news is that trailer suspensions are fairly simple, and the parts are relatively cheap. If you have access to a good trailer repair shop, they would be able to diagnose and correct the issue. It could be a bent axle (corrected by rebending), wear of the leaf spring connection bolts (replace with upgraded wet bolts), a broken leaf spring, etc.

Worst case would probably be a damaged/misaligned frame, or mismounted axles causing "crabbing". These would generally be more difficult to correct, but are fairly rare occurrences.

What does the dealer say about the cause of this? If he is selling you the unit, he should have at least taken a look to determine the cause of any issue.

ETA: and I would be thinking about $3k off for the issue - a ballpark $2k for a suspension issue, and $1k for 5 all new good quality tires, installed and balanced.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #9

I would pass on this one. Good things come to those who wait..longer. Yes, a red flag comes up with that many different tires.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #10

I'd pass as well. Lots of used trailers out there, no need to force something if it's just not right.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #11

22fb

We bought a 2010 22FB in February, really like the layout, and feel you get a lot of trailer for the size and cost. Check '22FB' on the JOF, as a guy had a (I think) 2013 for sale in Michigan for $10,500 a week or so ago. In this case you would be able to buy from the owner, and it would be in Michigan with a shorter camping season and no burning Florida sun. Might even have been stored inside. I agree with others that there's no sense buying one with obvious potential issues, when there are many others out there if you look. We looked for a couple years before we found a 'like new' one from an owner at a good price. Good luck.

2010 Jayco 22FB
2011 F150, SCrew, 5.0, 373, 157wb, ARE camper shell, Husky wdh
Gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #12

I would look there, but I still have a trailer to get rid of. I've been trying, but haven't gotten many good bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsea View Post
We bought a 2010 22FB in February, really like the layout, and feel you get a lot of trailer for the size and cost. Check '22FB' on the JOF, as a guy had a (I think) 2013 for sale in Michigan for $10,500 a week or so ago. In this case you would be able to buy from the owner, and it would be in Michigan with a shorter camping season and no burning Florida sun. Might even have been stored inside. I agree with others that there's no sense buying one with obvious potential issues, when there are many others out there if you look. We looked for a couple years before we found a 'like new' one from an owner at a good price. Good luck.

2010 Jayco 22FB
2011 F150, SCrew, 5.0, 373, 157wb, ARE camper shell, Husky wdh
Old 04-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #13

I have decided to pass on the Florida Jayco. 3 different tires, from 2014 to 2016 with the current right rear tire showing premature wear on the inside edge says expensive potential trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin4you View Post
I'd pass as well. Lots of used trailers out there, no need to force something if it's just not right.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #14

We're just down I-95 in NC, and bought our 22FB in Roanoke. Found it on Craig's list. Yours should sell now that camping weather has arrived. List on every Craigs List town within 300+ miles, as we searched from Atlanta to Cleveland, & in Wis. & MI. We wanted a very nice one, & didn't mind driving a day or so to get the best one. Even drove to No. MI. w/cash, only to have been mislead by seller...
Gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #15

If you have the time while in the area, I would go look at it, with a flashlight in hand. Use it as an educational trip. Might see some obvious roadside damage, which could help you to know what to look for with the next tt that comes a long.

Another thing you might just see is a worn out suspension part, that could be negotiated into a better price.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #16

I happened to be back where I had traded in my 09' Fleetwood Pioneer a few weeks after picking my new Jayco. When I traded the Pioneer in, it had 4 GY tire which I had purchased 6 months earlier. When I saw it in the lot, it had 4 no name tires with about 1/3 of the treads left. Dealer apparently swapped the newer tires for some laying around. My guess is they sold the ones I bought.

Maybe the dealer pulled a good set off and put on an old set of shoes. Seen it done with used cars on lots.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote