Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #1

Questioning Leak in water heater

I found a small puddle of water near my hot water heater. I am looking for some advice on some areas to troubleshoot. before I start taking things apart.
I have checked all of the hoses and fittings with the hot water running and while off. There are no signs of any leaks. The small puddle appears randomly. I have yet to catch it while it's forming.*

The last time I found it, I had just filled the fresh water and I was waiting for the water to get hot.*

The puddle appears right under the tank itself but again is random, before I pull the entire thing out to inspect it I am looking for other areas to troubleshoot.*

I have also looked at the outside*of the unit and see no signs of water.*

I did not get the brand name before I decided to write this. But its a 6 gal standard hot water heater and the unit is brand new. Jayco Jay flight 184BS*
SuckyFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #2

Mine did the same thing. I tracked it down to the pressure relief valve as it was weeping occasionally.

Just go ahead and replace it. Simple and cheap, you can get one at any RV supply store for less than $20.00
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #3

My water heater leaked where one of the pvc fittings was screwed into the side of the tank. I bought a new fitting and used teflon tape when I installed it. No leaks since the repair.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #4

Just a thought, make sure it's not just water condensing on the roof and draining down that spout on the corner.
NGaCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #5

this is pretty common you need an air pocket in your water heater
https://rvtipoftheday.com/general-ti...r-heater-drip/

Have you experienced water weeping or dripping from your water heater? Most likely the drip is coming from the pressure and temperature (P&T) relief valve as the water heater is operating. When the pressure of the water system gets too high the P&T valve will relieve the excess pressure.

The tank is designed to have an air pocket at the top that compresses as the water expands to keep the pressure within limits. Over time that air gets absorbed by the water and the water fills the tank.

To replenish the air pocket:

Turn off the water heater and let the water in the tank cool.
Turn off the cold water supply line.
Open a hot water faucet in the RV.
Pull out the handle of the pressure relief (P&T) valve and allow water to flow from the valve until it stops.
Release the handle on the P&T valve – it should snap closed.
The air pocket should be reestablished. Repeat this procedure as often as needed to minimize the weeping of the P&T valve.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
Site Team

It sounds like he's describing a leak on the inside of the RV, underneath the water heater. Random leaks are the worst to nail down.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
It sounds like he's describing a leak on the inside of the RV, underneath the water heater. Random leaks are the worst to nail down.
Put a shot glass under the pressure relieve valve see if you catch any water there.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #8

I have a a few random water leak inside. It would be there today, but I would not see if for weeks. Your levelness, may encourage the puddle to move around a little bit.

My favorite method to look for weird water leaks is to use toilet paper. When it gets wet and then dries, it get a different texture and look to it. I will take a square or two, and place them in different spots. For example, I will wrap a little on a pipe fitting, or a section of bare pipe. I might use a little scotch tape to secure it. I might place a few independent squares under the edge of the water heater. One square gets wet, but not the next, leads me towards the point of origin.

My water heater had a leak, it was the threaded pipe fitting on the cold water inlet. First time, I just snugged it up. Held for the rest of the year, following year, leaked in the same spot, so I took it all apart and re-seated with new Teflon tape and pipe dope.

My dad had a leak inside by the water heater. It took a lot of effort to locate. It was bad caulking between the TT frame and the water heater. Only would see it if the trailer was out of level with the back side of the WH being a little low.

Do you know make and model of water heater you have? Being a 2021 TT, I doubt it is a corroded tank. I suspect a fitting or a gap in the exterior caulking.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #9

thank you everyone, as always i learned a lot. I did not determine where the leak was but i have checked everything everyone has suggested and it is not leaking now. I did play with the relief valve and it may have not been seated properly

Yes the leak was inside the trailer under the tank. I have placed some absorbent pads under it for now and i continue to monitor it .

Again thank you and you will be the first to know if something bad happens
SuckyFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:06 PM   #10

they make alarms for water that sound an alarm if they detect water you may be able to use one of those too
Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #11

I had an old timere RV tech tell me not to worry about the Pressure valve dripping during water heating. It was normal for them to do that. I did not believe him. Bought a new one. It did the same thing. Dripped while the heater was running. Bought an 8 year newer trailer. It did the same thing. PR dripped during heating. Two years later it is still doing it. Drips outside. I have learned to live with it.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:59 PM   #12

Well then. You answered my question. Just how much water leaks? I’m having the same issue.
Red Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Mine did the same thing. I tracked it down to the pressure relief valve as it was weeping occasionally.

Just go ahead and replace it. Simple and cheap, you can get one at any RV supply store for less than $20.00
X2!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #14

I had very slow leaks at the hot water outlet and cold water inlet for my water heater. A drip maybe every 10 seconds when water is flowing. It was caused by the flex hose being too big for the pex connectors they used. I fixed it by using a 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch coupler and using a 1/2 inch piece of pex to connect to the water heater connectors. Also had to do the same thing on the water pump. I haven't had any more mystery puddles (fingers crossed).
Cujonaut is offline   Reply With Quote