Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #1

Questions about owner's manual

Hello, I just got my first travel trailer last week, Jay Flight SLX 267BHS, and have a couple of questions after reading the owner's manual.

Regarding adding sanitizing solution to the fresh water tank, it specifically states in bold letters "Do not use your non-toxic drinking water hose." Does anyone know the rationale behind that? Seems like adding sanitizing solution through the drinking water hose would sanitize the hose as well (two birds, one stone).

Regarding winterizing, there is a note that says "Antifreeze should be kept out of the water heater." Does anyone know that rationale behind that? It is simply because it's not necessary and would therefore be a waste of antifreeze? Or is there some risk of damage to the water heater from the antifreeze itself? A coworker told me that he always adds some antifreeze to the water heater.

Thanks.
the_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #2

If you are trying to siphon the sanitizing solution into the tank getting through a 25 foot hose will take some pump effort. You should use a shorter siphon hose for that.

On my prior motor home, a Thor Challenger, I did a mod to the fresh tank drain that allowed me to attach the fresh water hose to the drain. I would then get the sanitizing solution in the tank and open the drain with the other end of the water hose capped. This would sanitize both of my 25 foot hoses. That was the first mod I did to that motor home.

I plan on doing a similar mod to the Accolade but it will probably be next spring before it gets done.

As a note, I sanitize my hoses at least once a year even if they are new.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:39 AM   #3

Have you ever smelled rotten onion? It is an ugly smell! I once used af in the wh on an old tt it held 10 gallons at $8.00 per gallon, plus the three gallons in the rest of the system, no thanks. If you don't have a shutoff valve install one.. Drain the hw tank and blow out the line then reinstall drain plug and blow out the rest of the system. Running your water pump while blowing out your lines helps too. I then use two gallons to put in peatraps and toilet. That also puts about a gallon in each black and gray tank. Ps leave about an inch in the toilet for the seal.

Desertman
Destrtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:21 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Good questions .....but, been doing what they advise for all these years, and never had an issue, so have never asked why. I drain the freshwater tank before leaving the campground on the last trip, so movement and tilting in all directions helps the water out. In the spring, flush out the lines ..... just let water run through for awhile ( did the bleach thing once, years ago, no more). As for the hotwater tank, i drain it completely ( stick a small hose in and siphon the remaining water at bottom ( overkill ). I do it, never an issue.