Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #1

Questions about Tub Drain and Gray Tanks

Hello All,
This is my first post. I've been living in my 2016 White Hawk TT (which I proudly remodeled myself) for 6 months and have been able to figure most things out except:
1. If the gray tanks are empty, why would there be water sitting in the tub drain?
2. I've tried to figure out which faucets go to which gray tanks (I have 2) but it doesn't seem to be logical. I watch the water drain while the faucet is on but it, almost, seems like the tanks are connected.
ps. I live in an RV park and have full hook ups.
Thank you,
Trish
TBrad9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #2

If you are looking into the drain and there is water it could be the water the trap is holding and it is supposed to do it. If you have two grey tank handles you have two grey tanks if one handle and you have two tanks they are tied in together.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrad9 View Post
Hello All,
This is my first post. I've been living in my 2016 White Hawk TT (which I proudly remodeled myself) for 6 months and have been able to figure most things out except:
1. If the gray tanks are empty, why would there be water sitting in the tub drain?
2. I've tried to figure out which faucets go to which gray tanks (I have 2) but it doesn't seem to be logical. I watch the water drain while the faucet is on but it, almost, seems like the tanks are connected.
ps. I live in an RV park and have full hook ups.
Thank you,
Trish
Holding water just like your tub at home. There is a p-trap.

Tubs and sinks usually go into the gray. Kitchen is call Galley. Some bath sinks drain into the black tank.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokyle1 View Post
if you are looking into the drain and there is water it could be the water the trap is holding and it is supposed to do it. If you have two grey tank handles you have two grey tanks if one handle and you have two tanks they are tied in together.
thank you...that's what i thought.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #5

Hey there, my tanks are labeled...unfortunately. Do you have an idea how I can find out? And, what do you do for slow draining tubs? I tried to pull all the yuck out but I'm running into a hard surface and I tried baking soda and vinegar. It looks clear but still slow. Thanks
Old 10-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Hey there, my tanks are labeled...unfortunately. Do you have an idea how I can find out? And, what do you do for slow draining tubs? I tried to pull all the yuck out but I'm running into a hard surface and I tried baking soda and vinegar. It looks clear but still slow. Thanks

do you mean NOT labeled??? Gray tanks will have 1 1/2 inch piping to the shared gate valve if you have only 1 gate valve. The gray gate valve will be 1 1/2 inch. The black gat valve is 3"

Did you get a spring or a plastic snake thru the tub drain P-trap?

Old 10-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #7

I meant both gray tanks...neither are marked.

And, I didn't try to snake out the tub drain. I just put a coat hanger with a bent end to grab whatever was clogging it buy I hit a hard surface right away.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #8

Sorry....yes, I meant NOT labeled.

I did not try a snake in the drain...only a bent coat hanger. I'll get a snake a see how that works.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Get a little inexpensive device called a "Zip it". Pulls hair etc out of any drain.

You can find them in most any store with household items.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Product.../dp/B000BO9204
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
I meant both gray tanks...neither are marked.

And, I didn't try to snake out the tub drain. I just put a coat hanger with a bent end to grab whatever was clogging it buy I hit a hard surface right away.
One is for the shower and bath sink. The other is for the kitchen (Galley) easy to figure out which is which. The coat hanger will catch on a joint.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
Site Team

Drain both Grey tanks until nothing comes out. Close all valves and pour about 5 gallons down the sink drain in the kitchen (galley). Look at the gauges and note what indications you have, mine are #numbered Grey 1 and Grey 2.

Pull a grey tank valve and see if any thing comes out, also check gauge lights. If something come out mark the valve with the same # as the indicator. I also put Kitchen and Bath on mine for future clarification.

If the tanks are tied together and you have only valve, this is all just a fun exercise!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
get a little inexpensive device called a "zip it". Pulls hair etc out of any drain.

You can find them in most any store with household items.

https://www.amazon.com/cobra-product.../dp/b000bo9204
perfect...thanks!
Old 10-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Drain both Grey tanks until nothing comes out. Close all valves and pour about 5 gallons down the sink drain in the kitchen (galley). Look at the gauges and note what indications you have, mine are #numbered Grey 1 and Grey 2.

Pull a grey tank valve and see if any thing comes out, also check gauge lights. If something come out mark the valve with the same # as the indicator. I also put Kitchen and Bath on mine for future clarification.

If the tanks are tied together and you have only valve, this is all just a fun exercise!
Will do...thank you!
Old 10-28-2020, 05:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
If you are looking into the drain and there is water it could be the water the trap is holding and it is supposed to do it. If you have two grey tank handles you have two grey tanks if one handle and you have two tanks they are tied in together.
(FROM WHAT I READ) many owners w/ TWO gray tanks find the 2nd tank drain handle/ valve on the OTHER side of the rig (esp. on trailers, with long connecting pipe that might get damaged from blown tire?) LUCK You should NOT have standing water in the shower BASIN, but should have in the pipe trap to stop odors.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #15

Two Grey Tanks

I have two gray tanks and one pull handle on a 2019 JAYCo MLOK 319. The second gray tank does not empty. I have water with a slow discharge in the kitchen sink hooked up to an rv park. How do I get the second gray tank to empty?
Donwill327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:29 PM   #16

Consider trying this to dislodge a blockage. Get a leaf blower or shop vac on reverse (blowing, not sucking), put it in the outlet pipe and caulk it with rags and turn it on. It may blow the crud back into the tank which can then drain. Hopefully, with the blockage coming out with the grey water.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #17

We have a 2014 White Hawk 29REKS and it has 2 gray water tanks and 2 dump valves side-by-side. On ours, the dump valve that is forward (closest to the front of the trailer) is for the shower. The other dump valve is for the kitchen sink. We have had a couple of occasions when water stayed in the shower. It was either due to the tank being completely full (my wife likes to take long showers at times) or there was a wad of hair on top of the drain screen. It's also possible that your dump valve isn't opening resulting in a full tank. The first thing I would do is check to make sure that nothing is blocking the drain (e.g. a wad of hair ,etc.), then go out and open the dump valve and make sure that water is flowing out of it.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote