Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #1

Quick battery question

Battery tender jr showed new(ish) dc24 battery fully charged. solid green light (charged, maintain mode)

(Battery completely disconnected from TT this entire process)

Took battery tender off for 45 minutes to charge another battery

When I put it back on the rv battery, it has red light. <80% charge

I did run battery down once (Parasitic) before I knew to get the battery tender.

Is battery damaged ? Don’t have meter. Need to buy one?

Thanks!
jackman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:13 AM   #2

I would not trust the battery tender to tell me if it is fully charged when I put it on a battery.

My battery tender always shows me an orange light when I connect a battery no matter what the charge level is. If it is fully charged, within a few hours it will turn green and tell me it is charged. If it is really dead, it could take over 24 hours to charge the battery.

I have killed my batteries more one with parasite power drains, or running to low at camp. I just replaced a 9 year old battery this week, that was well maintained, but over drawn many times.

What do you have for a camper? If you keep it plugged into shore power, the on board system will keep the battery charged.

Personally a voltmeter is a good tool to get. You can a buy cheap one for $5-$20, and a decent one with a clamp meter for $50+. Excellent tool if you own an RV.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #3

It’s a 2018 145rb That we’ve had a few months. Bought a new battery for it then. It’s a roadhawk predator rv dc24 battery. We’ve taken it out pretty much every weekend since buying. Mostly shore power when out. But when it was sitting in my driveway, didn’t know to disconnect battery or plug in. Just let her sit (parasitic draws Were active). Got in it last week and dead battery. Got the tender and got it back to solid green.

Thought all was good but alarmed that after being off tender 45 min, tender showed it to be <80%.

I’ll get a Klein meter like you said. Essential to toolbox anyways so good purchase. Just haven’t made it to the store yet and wondering if batteries damaged after that one “run down” last week.

Thanks for your input
Old 09-30-2020, 07:21 AM   #4

Distilled water levels in battery good
Old 09-30-2020, 07:23 AM   #5

Boon docking this weekend so trying decide if should get new (and better?) battery

We have nice inverter genny tho so will prob let her ride and see how batt performs
Old 09-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman5000 View Post
Distilled water levels in battery good
If it's not a maintenance free battery, then get yourself a battery hydrometer. You'll be able to check the specific gravity of each cell, and you'll know exactly what shape your battery is in.

https://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Red-SP101...s%2C194&sr=8-5
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:54 AM   #7

If you don't have (or will attain) the proper testing equipment (like hydrometer, and/or load tester), just take it to your local auto-parts retailer and have them test it. Sometimes they can even breathe a little more life into a battery to buy you some time before replacement by giving it a good, deep charge in their machine. If nothing else, you'll have a higher level diagnostic on the battery than what you'll be able to attain on your own.

A volt meter is definitely a good purchase, and an essential piece of kit, but it doesn't give a whole lot of info on the actual health of a battery.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #8

Good stuff. Thx y’all
Old 09-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman5000 View Post
Just haven’t made it to the store yet and wondering if batteries damaged after that one “run down” last week.

Thanks for your input
One run down, maybe no damage. A few times, a very good chance. The design of these batteries only allows them to be run down like 50%. If you regularly run them down lower, you can damage them.

Like others said, a voltmeter is your FIRST needed tool. A load tester can be a good second. Plus, some sort of monitoring gauge inside the rig, so you can monitor the voltage when your camping, to know when to get it back on charge.

Here's a great voltage reference chart:
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #10

Take it in and get it checked. Usually FREE. Go from there.
mcwoods2 is offline   Reply With Quote