Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2024, 12:44 PM   #1

quiet fan for A/C?

Wondering if there are options to either get a quieter fan or wire it to run slower or other options to make a lower setting when it is not super hot? It is so noisy you can hardly talk inside even on low, and it blows pretty hard. (And sorry if this has been rehashed a hundred times, I did try searching.)
Jaykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 12:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykol View Post
Wondering if there are options to either get a quieter fan or wire it to run slower or other options to make a lower setting when it is not super hot? It is so noisy you can hardly talk inside even on low, and it blows pretty hard. (And sorry if this has been rehashed a hundred times, I did try searching.)
If it runs too slow it will freeze up, especially with high humidity. Even running it on low will cause that problem.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:35 PM   #3

X2 with Grumpy.

However, the fan speed may not be the entire source of the sound. In the years past (not sure how long ago) a topic came up about insulating the air conditioner air box (on top of the RV under the A/C cover) and the bottom of the A/C external section itself (dynamat?). I suspect doing that would not only help with the cooling but would also help with reducing the sound level. In addition, I would check the A/C gasket to make sure it is not overly tight or too loose as I suspect the foam gasket would also aid in lowering the sound level. ~CA
Old 06-14-2024, 06:48 AM   #4

The noise is crazy!!
Anyone installed these new gizmos?
It's supposed to direct the air directly into the duct work rather than an open box. Just might help with the noise along with getting cooler air to remote areas.
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:49 AM   #5

This might help!
Introducing the A/C Connect by KoolRV™: The Solution to Optimizing Your RV's Cooling
Old 06-14-2024, 07:27 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
The noise is crazy!!
It's supposed to direct the air directly into the duct work rather than an open box. Just might help with the noise along with getting cooler air to remote areas.
Many have installed them outlined in other threads. There are also some DIY methods also outlined.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:58 AM   #7

Hi, for torqueing the bolts, are you referring to the four on the inside going into the roof AC unit? Mine were/are barely reading on the torque wrench, less than 5 ft lbs.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi, for torqueing the bolts, are you referring to the four on the inside going into the roof AC unit? Mine were/are barely reading on the torque wrench, less than 5 ft lbs.
That's about right, they are supposed to be torqued to 45 inch pounds.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
While I doubt that having the proper torque will make much difference in the sound level, those bolts should be around 45 in lbs and the proper torque is important to prevent leaks. Certainly if they were loose enough to allow excessive vibration then being loose could allow for a higher noise level.

BTW, many (maybe most or all) replacement seals (gaskets) have a tab indicator built into the seal that is used to determine if it is correctly tightened. With enough time the seal will compress and either need to be replaced or tightened up some. I am not of the opinion to replace the seal unless it is visibly cracked and worn out or it allows for water intrusion, although I suspect a new seal being a foam type of seal would help lower the vibration level vs an older compressed seal. ~CA
Old 06-14-2024, 09:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Many have installed them outlined in other threads. There are also some DIY methods also outlined.
Wow!!
The problem has been around for years and there's a fix!
Wonder if the factory folks knows about it?

Thank you for the heads up Norty
Old 06-14-2024, 12:51 PM   #11

That KoolRV duct fix, seems to be a heck of an idea, but at $85, seems pretty expensive for some plastic and tubing. I know it comes with some other accessories, but that seems a bit high priced.

Keep in mind, if you have the Dometic, like we do, it will not be able to dump the A/C straight down. It will only allow for the A/C to run through the vents.

Still seems like a great idea and product though.
Old 06-16-2024, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If it runs too slow it will freeze up, especially with high humidity. Even running it on low will cause that problem.
I always thought, typical RV rooftop A/Cs were loud and there's not a whole lot you could do about it. They are doing some new things with new 'advanced' units, but overall I just resign to the fact they are noisy.

Grumpy, I'm heading to the beach for the week. We are due for a scorcher with super humid heatwave temps, here in CT. I've never dealt with a camper rooftop A/C and the freeze potential.

Are there any pointers you or any others might have to help keep it from freezing up?
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
The noise is crazy!!
I have the RV AIRFLOW gizmo, but have yet to install it. I wanted to try this week, but thought it might be a bad idea to mess with the A/C system prior to a trip where we will be experiencing a heatwave. Sure, I'd like the added airflow and efficiency BUT if I screw it up and can't get it back together, having NO A/C would be a lot worse than what I deal with right now.

Also, I want to get myself a couple metal rods to assist in aligning the A/C bracket holes, which can be challenging, from what I hear/read.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Wow!!
The problem has been around for years and there's a fix!
Wonder if the factory folks knows about it?

Thank you for the heads up Norty
I think there is an RV brand line that installs the RVAirflow Systems into their units, at the factory. Just can't remember which brand/line it is.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:03 PM   #15

In my personal experience the Domectic air conditioning units are terrible when it comes to noise. But the only time that I have ever had a problem with freezing up is when the filters were dirty.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayflight 23 View Post
In my personal experience the Domectic air conditioning units are terrible when it comes to noise. But the only time that I have ever had a problem with freezing up is when the filters were dirty.
I agree, they are loud.

As you though, I haven't had a freeze up issue.

I'm wondering if that KoolRV unit would help with the noise.
Old 06-16-2024, 07:56 PM   #17

follow up

With my trailer I found the ducting to not be to bad, which was good and bad news. The good was it was done fairly well, no big gaps or blockages, which was also the bad news in that it gave no easy fix. I taped up a few gaps and transitions and made a V shaped splitter for the output side. Not sure if it helped much, it seems like the noise is mostly in the return side. Also I only have a screen for a filter, no foam or media. Is that normal? Must be Merv .05 or something!
Old 06-16-2024, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:
With my trailer I found the ducting to not be to bad, which was good and bad news. The good was it was done fairly well, no big gaps or blockages, which was also the bad news in that it gave no easy fix. I taped up a few gaps and transitions and made a V shaped splitter for the output side. Not sure if it helped much, it seems like the noise is mostly in the return side. Also I only have a screen for a filter, no foam or media. Is that normal? Must be Merv .05 or something!
When you mentioned the factory air filter which imo are only intended to keep large particles out of the A/C (not much for filtering the air really). In any case, I thought about this which I have seen advertised but I have no experience with it or know anyone who has tried to. So my reply here isn't a recommendation for or against this product and instead just FYI. If it works as it is stated, you should get a 8~10dB noise reduction and better air filtration. ~CA

"Most people experience a noise reduction ranging from 8 decibels to 10 decibels, where a 10-decibel reduction results in a 50% reduction in overall noise."

https://www.recpro.com/wacko-rv-a-c-...e-made-in-usa/

btw, if you do purchase and install one of these then let us know how it worked out for you. While I haven't worried about my A/C's noise level, I will say that certainly a quieter A/C would be appreciated and I wouldn't have to turn up the radio or tv as much or shout in order to be heard.
Old 06-17-2024, 08:19 AM   #19

noise cover

Thanks for the tip, hopefully someone has an impartial report on them. For me at $209 it is not really an option unless I was 100% convinced it reduced the noise like they claim and airflow was still good. I may try to make something similar though.
Old 06-17-2024, 01:18 PM   #20

I’ve been using the WAKO product in our RV for 6 years now on our 15K BTU and it works very well. It reduced the noise by a lot. As far as actual % all I can say is when the AC is running you can talk and hear the TV no problem. The price seems high but you are paying for the R&D that went into making it quiet without affecting the performance.

We are purchasing a new trailer next month and one thing for sure is the WAKO is getting removed and going on the new trailer.