Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #21
Site Team

There is a huge profit for anyone involved in providing OE tires for all concerned except the purchaser.
Time will tell but as others noted, I will not be a test dummy.
G614's on mine.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #22

We have the Rainier tires on our 2015 Pinnacle. We drove the Pinnacle from Indiana to Florida to home in San Diego. Then I noticed a huge bubble on the outside of the tire near the rim. We changed the tire, drove it to our dealer for some warranty work. When we pick up the Pinnacle in a couple weeks, we are driving it 5 miles to the tire store and replacing those tires immediately. Not worth the risk!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
this is from a seller's add on "ebay".

St175/80r13 lrc 6 pr rainier st radial trailer tire 175/80 13 75 mph speed rated
imho
Attached Thumbnails
dont-believe-everything-you-see-on-the-internet.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #24

L=75mph.

I wouldn't.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #25

We just got back from a trip to Florida, then Myrtle beach with our new 2015 Pinnacle. Spent 8 miles on I-95 in NC before cutting over to 81 and of course we picked up a nail. Mine came with the Rainiers as well.

Changed to the spare and continued to a TA to get the flat taken care of.

The service tech suggested replacing the tire due to bubbles that had formed on the inside of the Rainier. He said he does a lot of tires and this usually indicates a defect. I kept the tire in hopes of getting something done under warranty but with a no name tire I am not too optimistic.

This along with other issues with my rolling lemon have me seriously considering switching brands on my next RV upgrade. Jayco has certainly slipped in a number of QC areas, this just adds to the list.
hutc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #26

Ranier and Knots/Bubbles

I've been browsing the threads looking for info on the tires on my Northpoint we bought in Feb 2016. They are (were) Ranier ST 235/R16s.
We were about to leave on a 3 wk trip and were picking up our RV after an awning repair when the tech noted our first bubble. Trekked quickly a mile down the road and got it replaced. When it was off we noticed two bubbles both inside and outside, near the rim. Clearly a defect.
A week later in N Carolina after leaving our 2nd site a guy (angel) in a pickup flagged us down. He said he saw a knit/bulge on inside of front passenger side RV tire...how way up under there he saw it I don't know. After taking it off, yes there were two bubbles/knots in inside. One size of softball.
Replaced all three remaining Ranier tires.
Anyone know how to get any compensation from defective tires? I kept the two defectives.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #27

Adam Deak
Tredit Tire & Wheel
574-293-0581 x163

Contact him. They are the supplier to every RV company in the US. I had the exact same problem with my 2015 Jayco Pinnacle. They were excellent to deal with. You will need to fill out a claim form and they will want pictures. They replaced all 4 on mine with Goodyear Marathons and sent me a check for reimbursement for mounting. DO NOT go thorough Jayco, absolutely useless.
hutc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #28

Guess I'm glad t got rid of mine before any issues. Love my Maxxis so far.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #29

We just took delivery of our 2nd jayco Saturday. It is TT and came with 225/75r/15 Ranier tires. I had just replaced tires on our old camper so I had my new ones switched to the new camper. Both tires were same specs. Load range E. My Carlisle radial trail HD tires felt heavier and were more resistant to being mounted to rims. I am glad I kept my new tires. Camper dealer let me bring new camper home and get everything switched over to new camper then bring our trade to them when done. Its nice dealing with hometown dealer.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:34 AM   #30

I had 4 Maxxis on my trailer. They were now about 4 years old, and had more than 32k miles on them. However, the tread was still very good. Unfortunately the belts broke in one of them. Fortunately, I found it before it came apart on the highway. I made an emergency pit stop to use the facilities on my trailer. (Isn't having your motel room with you wonderful?) Luckily, the bad part of the tire was facing forward and the parking lot was covered in a fine white dust. The middle 1/3 of the tire was buldged out and that caught my eye. Another 1/4 turn forward and I would not have seen it.

Even Maxxis aren't 100% perfect.

nfo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Guess I'm glad t got rid of mine before any issues. Love my Maxxis so far.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:33 AM   #31

Speed ratings on Raniers = 0 mph
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #32

I agree, the speed rating is irrelevant! I have a Jayco Eagle 317RLOK 2016 model which was sold with Rainier ST tires. I rigorously maintained tire pressures at the recommended 80 psi. I drove at 60-65 mph even on Montana's 80 mph interstate. After only 4,000 miles my right rear tire blew while driving on I90 in Montana. No rough roads, no hazards, just traveling down the interstate at 65 MPH. I replaced all 4 tires at the next opportunity with Hercules 12 ply (real truck tires) and was told that the cheap tires installed on most brands of trailers (like Rainier) have this problem frequently. My advice is replace your tires before you get in a difficult spot and loose control of your trailer.
jmaxcortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #33

For me, the speed rating is and is not relevant.

It's relevant in that a ST tire rated at say 75 mph gives me a little more confidence it is a better tire than one rated for just 65 mph.

It's not relevant because even if my trailer tires were rated for 100 mph, I would still only drive between 60 and 65 mph on interstates and 60 or less depeding on the speed limit on non interstates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxcortner View Post
I agree, the speed rating is irrelevant! I have a Jayco Eagle 317RLOK 2016 model which was sold with Rainier ST tires. I rigorously maintained tire pressures at the recommended 80 psi. I drove at 60-65 mph even on Montana's 80 mph interstate. After only 4,000 miles my right rear tire blew while driving on I90 in Montana. No rough roads, no hazards, just traveling down the interstate at 65 MPH. I replaced all 4 tires at the next opportunity with Hercules 12 ply (real truck tires) and was told that the cheap tires installed on most brands of trailers (like Rainier) have this problem frequently. My advice is replace your tires before you get in a difficult spot and loose control of your trailer.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Our Jay Flight came with Rainier ST tires. I've never heard of these, but have attempted to do a little research. The size we have is 225/75R15 ST. They are 8 ply, load range D, max cold pressure of 65 psi. I know most ST's are speed rated at 65 mph, however these appear that they may be rated a little higher. Only other numbers I can find (besides the obvious ones) that appear to reflect load and speed rating is the 113/108L. I know the 113 = 2540# for single, and the 108 - 2200# for dual. The "L", all I can figure is the speed rating, which in this case would be 75.

Not trying to start a China Bomb thread nor do I care to get into the how fast one drives threads. I have my preferences, but I am trying to figure out what exactly I have now. I can't find much on them, but know that Tredit tire carries them. I have an email in to them to see what info they can provide. I did find a set somewhere else that claimed 75 mph rating as well.

Any help from the tire gooroos out there. I'm used to Goodyear G614's, and I'm far from that now.

Some may not be aware that there are different variations of each size of Rainier ST Tire.

For example, my travel trailer tires are Rainier ST175/80R13
I've seen some with Load Range C / 6 ply / max load 1360 / 50 psi
as well as some with Load Range D / 8 ply / max load 1610 / 65 psi
Both of these are rated at a maximum speed of 75MPH
Mine are the first option.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote