Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2014, 03:20 AM   #1

Range Hood problem

Hello to all!
I am a new owner of a 2014 Swift 185 rb. I am very happy with the trailer so far but I am puzzled as to why the range hood on the Swift models does not exhaust to the outside of the trailer. Other than the light this appliance is a useless ornament unless it exhausts to the outside. Has anyone modified their Swift to fix this problem? Thanks for any suggestions, Bob
BobR5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #2

Did you open the flap on the outside vent for the hood ??? It is usually held in place by 2 little levers.

RB
skidoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #3

yup, should be a small flap on the outside you just need to open.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

as the OP said there isn't a vent. The swift line does not have a vent to the outside. I am thinking he is looking for people who have maybe cut one into the trailer.
I have one on my Jay feather but I do not even unlock it from the outside. I figure if I am cooking something in the trailer that needs venting to the outside I should just cook it outside.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Hey everyone,

I just returned from a camping trip. And for the first time I would have liked to use the range hood fan to exhaust some of the food we were cooking. But I couldn't figure out how to open the vent flap on the outside! I saw there are two small 'flaps'. I tried pulling down, pulling out, pushing in... you name it! I finally gave up and will take it up with the dealer when I bring the camper in to have a rain leak looked at. But in the meantime, can someone explain to me how that flat is supposed to open? I'm pretty sure I've seen it open before. But I just can't seem to figure it out now!

Thanks!
2006 Tahoe
Bill and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

pry them UP...it will appear as you are going to break them but they wont or at least shouldn't. I don't use mine as I tend to think anything I cook that may need venting should be cooked outside.
But I tried mine and it wasn't easy.

Jayco didn't think that one over well
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Site Team

It's much better than the old design that would blow away if you forgot to snap it back.

Just put your thumb under and push up and out till it unsnaps.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #8

I should have checked back here yesterday to read your reply, because then I would have tried it at home last night! Family came over and before you know it I was too tired for anything. OK this evening after work I'll try prying them up and away from the body/wall knowing now that is how it is supposed to work. I did try that when we were camping, but as you said, I was afraid I would break something! Thank you both (nbhybrid and norty1) for your explanation.
2006 Tahoe
Bill and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR5122 View Post
Hello to all!
I am a new owner of a 2014 Swift 185 rb. I am very happy with the trailer so far but I am puzzled as to why the range hood on the Swift models does not exhaust to the outside of the trailer. Other than the light this appliance is a useless ornament unless it exhausts to the outside. Has anyone modified their Swift to fix this problem? Thanks for any suggestions, Bob
I would check with the dealer on this. I am sure it can be adpated to this the same as a household one can. It's a matter of ducting which you move a duct panel or two in the exhaust unit and it goes to an exterior vent. The dealer will need to contact Jayco on this since you are cutting into the sidewall and confirm there is not structure in your path. If you or someone else does it you could void your warranty as a result. Jayco wil provide schematics upon request in most cases.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #10

I have a 2015 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW and encountered the same problem/ question with opening my vent from the outside. If it helps anyone...the 2 "buttons" you see are nothing more than 2 push or pry points that are ATTACHED to the inner flap. They are not locks that "flip open" to allow the flap to open. The amount of pressure needed to open this thing when new was bigger than I suspected but look for the flap to start to open as you push.
THanz is offline   Reply With Quote