Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #1

Rattle in tire and gas

Hey folks, me again

I have 2 new issues. Took the trailer out for the first time last weekend and on my way home and noticed a rattle in one of the trailer tires. Did some research and folks are saying it could be a loose brake pad rattling on there or a bearing issue. Wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

Another issue I noticed is with the gas. The main gas line passes through a regulator (or 2 as there are two things there) into a distributor and then out to the various appliances. The line that resides outside to hook up the propane stove and/or BBQ emits the smallest amount of propane. I put both the BBQ and stove on high and it was the lowest flame. I checked all the valves, they were all open. Is it possible there is a busted valve only opening halfway or something? When I light the water heater, that thing goes so it cant be the main line or regulator. Thoughts?

Thanks again fellow Jaycoers!
Tinofenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Do you still have the regulators on the lines going to the stove and BBQ? They are not needed, since the quick disconnect line is already regulated on the trailer. That might be why you have a low flame, it's double regulated.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Do you still have the regulators on the lines going to the stove and BBQ? They are not needed, since the quick disconnect line is already regulated on the trailer. That might be why you have a low flame, it's double regulated.
Hey thanks for the reply. Nope, no regulators after the main one before the distributor.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 AM   #4
Site Team

So your grill does not have regulators built into it where the lp line connects?

Reguarding the brake noise, the wheel/hub needs to be removed and the brake assembly inpected by a mechanic. Something loose can only lead to damage and braking problems.
Last year, I had a brake magnet disentigrate and get ground uo in the assembly while I was on a trip. My TPMS alerted me whem the temperature got up enough to alarm.

I would put this one at the top of the list.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #5

You probably activated the safety device in the regulator when you opened the tank valve too quickly. There is a safety device that prevents rapid loos of propane in the event a line ruptures. Opening the valves quickly can sometimes trigger the device.

Close the valves on both tanks and bleed off the pressure in the lines by lighting your stove. Turn off the stove, then open each valve very slowly. You should then have good gas pressure to all your devices. Always open the tank valves slowly.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #6

I've had a brake adjuster fall out and roll around in the drum on one wheel of two different trailers, and they were new when it happened.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinofenotti View Post
Hey folks, me again

I have 2 new issues. Took the trailer out for the first time last weekend and on my way home and noticed a rattle in one of the trailer tires. Did some research and folks are saying it could be a loose brake pad rattling on there or a bearing issue. Wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

Another issue I noticed is with the gas. The main gas line passes through a regulator (or 2 as there are two things there) into a distributor and then out to the various appliances. The line that resides outside to hook up the propane stove and/or BBQ emits the smallest amount of propane. I put both the BBQ and stove on high and it was the lowest flame. I checked all the valves, they were all open. Is it possible there is a busted valve only opening halfway or something? When I light the water heater, that thing goes so it cant be the main line or regulator. Thoughts?

Thanks again fellow Jaycoers!
You don’t mention what year and model TT you have but if you have the fancy aluminum wheels with the chrome metal cups that cover the hubs, they could be your rattle. Sometimes they fit loosely and rattle.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xboaters View Post
You don’t mention what year and model TT you have but if you have the fancy aluminum wheels with the chrome metal cups that cover the hubs, they could be your rattle. Sometimes they fit loosely and rattle.
Sorry it is a 2012 Jay Series 1006 and doesnt come with any hub covers.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
You probably activated the safety device in the regulator when you opened the tank valve too quickly. There is a safety device that prevents rapid loos of propane in the event a line ruptures. Opening the valves quickly can sometimes trigger the device.

Close the valves on both tanks and bleed off the pressure in the lines by lighting your stove. Turn off the stove, then open each valve very slowly. You should then have good gas pressure to all your devices. Always open the tank valves slowly.
Thanks us71na, when i opened the propane tank i was able to get sufficient gas and flame from the hot water heater burner so perhaps its a matter of opening the valves at the quick connects slowly?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
So your grill does not have regulators built into it where the lp line connects?

Reguarding the brake noise, the wheel/hub needs to be removed and the brake assembly inpected by a mechanic. Something loose can only lead to damage and braking problems.
Last year, I had a brake magnet disentigrate and get ground uo in the assembly while I was on a trip. My TPMS alerted me whem the temperature got up enough to alarm.

I would put this one at the top of the list.
Hey thanks norty. No there are no regulators on both the 2 burner stove or the gas grill. No matter if i turn either to high or low, the amount of gas stays the same.

As for the rattle in the tire, thanks for that. I will take the tire off today to see if I can see anything obvious but will take it to a mechanic. Have a trip booked this weekend so I am going to see if I can find someone
Old 08-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #11

Found the culprit. A bolt knocked loose and is just swimming in the bottom, refer to the pic. Is this the self-adjusting screw? Can I just drive it like this? Having a hell of a time getting the drum off!
Attached Thumbnails
20190814_180257.jpg  
Old 08-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I've had a brake adjuster fall out and roll around in the drum on one wheel of two different trailers, and they were new when it happened.
Well DocBrown, looks like you hit the nail on the head. I managed to get the drum off after an hour not knowing that there was a grease cap (duh) anyways that's what it was. The adjuster bolt, housing and spring came apart and were rolling around in there. To make matters worse the shoes are almost down to the metal which is odd considering my TT has only likely been driven 500 KMs. I was thinking of changing the shoes however folks are saying just to get the entire assembly. My best guess is due to the crazy amount of rust and the mechanics of the brakes not working very well, I was just riding with the shoes somewhat engaged. I dont think the previous owners winterized/covered this thing and it has been sitting for the last 7 years! Not to mention they live near the beach so salt in the air likely contributing to the rapid corrosion. I thought I got a good deal on this thing but its costing me more in time and money!
Old 08-15-2019, 05:23 AM   #13

Smile KMs bad- miles good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinofenotti View Post
Well DocBrown, looks like you hit the nail on the head. I managed to get the drum off after an hour not knowing that there was a grease cap (duh) anyways that's what it was. The adjuster bolt, housing and spring came apart and were rolling around in there. To make matters worse the shoes are almost down to the metal which is odd considering my TT has only likely been driven 500 KMs. I was thinking of changing the shoes however folks are saying just to get the entire assembly. My best guess is due to the crazy amount of rust and the mechanics of the brakes not working very well, I was just riding with the shoes somewhat engaged. I dont think the previous owners winterized/covered this thing and it has been sitting for the last 7 years! Not to mention they live near the beach so salt in the air likely contributing to the rapid corrosion. I thought I got a good deal on this thing but its costing me more in time and money!
I see the problem. You are driving KMs, they are much harder on vehicles than good old American miles.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #14

At least you know now! On my old Kiwi 17a the adjuster was so chewed up I had to get another one. It didn't hurt the drum any though.

So long as the drums are in good shape, smooth no gouges, not excessively worn, I'd just get the shoes and new springs. If the drums are good take some 100 grit sand paper and sand the inside surface, them spray them with brake cleaner.

The brakes are not self adjusting like cars. You have to manually adjust them.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #15

Glad you found the problem with the brakes. What I found out recently is it’s easier to buy the entire assembly for each side then try to find individual parts like the shoes and springs. If you have it apart and there was a lack of maintenance from the previous owner it’s probably best to do it all. Don’t forget to repack the wheel bearings and replace the seal on the drum also.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, propane, stove, tire