Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 11
Rattle in tire and gas

Hey folks, me again

I have 2 new issues. Took the trailer out for the first time last weekend and on my way home and noticed a rattle in one of the trailer tires. Did some research and folks are saying it could be a loose brake pad rattling on there or a bearing issue. Wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

Another issue I noticed is with the gas. The main gas line passes through a regulator (or 2 as there are two things there) into a distributor and then out to the various appliances. The line that resides outside to hook up the propane stove and/or BBQ emits the smallest amount of propane. I put both the BBQ and stove on high and it was the lowest flame. I checked all the valves, they were all open. Is it possible there is a busted valve only opening halfway or something? When I light the water heater, that thing goes so it cant be the main line or regulator. Thoughts?

Thanks again fellow Jaycoers!
__________________

Tinofenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
RetiredOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 1,147
Do you still have the regulators on the lines going to the stove and BBQ? They are not needed, since the quick disconnect line is already regulated on the trailer. That might be why you have a low flame, it's double regulated.
__________________

__________________
----------------

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Do you still have the regulators on the lines going to the stove and BBQ? They are not needed, since the quick disconnect line is already regulated on the trailer. That might be why you have a low flame, it's double regulated.
Hey thanks for the reply. Nope, no regulators after the main one before the distributor.
Tinofenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 AM   #4
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 16,248
So your grill does not have regulators built into it where the lp line connects?

Reguarding the brake noise, the wheel/hub needs to be removed and the brake assembly inpected by a mechanic. Something loose can only lead to damage and braking problems.
Last year, I had a brake magnet disentigrate and get ground uo in the assembly while I was on a trip. My TPMS alerted me whem the temperature got up enough to alarm.

I would put this one at the top of the list.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box, PT50C EMS
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
us71na's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McKean, PA
Posts: 699
You probably activated the safety device in the regulator when you opened the tank valve too quickly. There is a safety device that prevents rapid loos of propane in the event a line ruptures. Opening the valves quickly can sometimes trigger the device.

Close the valves on both tanks and bleed off the pressure in the lines by lighting your stove. Turn off the stove, then open each valve very slowly. You should then have good gas pressure to all your devices. Always open the tank valves slowly.
__________________
2011 Skylark 21FKV
us71na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,702
I've had a brake adjuster fall out and roll around in the drum on one wheel of two different trailers, and they were new when it happened.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Pioneer
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinofenotti View Post
Hey folks, me again

I have 2 new issues. Took the trailer out for the first time last weekend and on my way home and noticed a rattle in one of the trailer tires. Did some research and folks are saying it could be a loose brake pad rattling on there or a bearing issue. Wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

Another issue I noticed is with the gas. The main gas line passes through a regulator (or 2 as there are two things there) into a distributor and then out to the various appliances. The line that resides outside to hook up the propane stove and/or BBQ emits the smallest amount of propane. I put both the BBQ and stove on high and it was the lowest flame. I checked all the valves, they were all open. Is it possible there is a busted valve only opening halfway or something? When I light the water heater, that thing goes so it cant be the main line or regulator. Thoughts?

Thanks again fellow Jaycoers!
You don’t mention what year and model TT you have but if you have the fancy aluminum wheels with the chrome metal cups that cover the hubs, they could be your rattle. Sometimes they fit loosely and rattle.
__________________
Chuck, Chis and Benji
2019 Jayco Eagle 280RSOK
2000 Freightliner Century
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xboaters View Post
You don’t mention what year and model TT you have but if you have the fancy aluminum wheels with the chrome metal cups that cover the hubs, they could be your rattle. Sometimes they fit loosely and rattle.
Sorry it is a 2012 Jay Series 1006 and doesnt come with any hub covers.
Tinofenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
You probably activated the safety device in the regulator when you opened the tank valve too quickly. There is a safety device that prevents rapid loos of propane in the event a line ruptures. Opening the valves quickly can sometimes trigger the device.

Close the valves on both tanks and bleed off the pressure in the lines by lighting your stove. Turn off the stove, then open each valve very slowly. You should then have good gas pressure to all your devices. Always open the tank valves slowly.
Thanks us71na, when i opened the propane tank i was able to get sufficient gas and flame from the hot water heater burner so perhaps its a matter of opening the valves at the quick connects slowly?
Tinofenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
So your grill does not have regulators built into it where the lp line connects?

Reguarding the brake noise, the wheel/hub needs to be removed and the brake assembly inpected by a mechanic. Something loose can only lead to damage and braking problems.
Last year, I had a brake magnet disentigrate and get ground uo in the assembly while I was on a trip. My TPMS alerted me whem the temperature got up enough to alarm.

I would put this one at the top of the list.
Hey thanks norty. No there are no regulators on both the 2 burner stove or the gas grill. No matter if i turn either to high or low, the amount of gas stays the same.

As for the rattle in the tire, thanks for that. I will take the tire off today to see if I can see anything obvious but will take it to a mechanic. Have a trip booked this weekend so I am going to see if I can find someone
Tinofenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 11
Found the culprit. A bolt knocked loose and is just swimming in the bottom, refer to the pic. Is this the self-adjusting screw? Can I just drive it like this? Having a hell of a time getting the drum off!
Attached Thumbnails
20190814_180257.jpg  
Tinofenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I've had a brake adjuster fall out and roll around in the drum on one wheel of two different trailers, and they were new when it happened.
Well DocBrown, looks like you hit the nail on the head. I managed to get the drum off after an hour not knowing that there was a grease cap (duh) anyways that's what it was. The adjuster bolt, housing and spring came apart and were rolling around in there. To make matters worse the shoes are almost down to the metal which is odd considering my TT has only likely been driven 500 KMs. I was thinking of changing the shoes however folks are saying just to get the entire assembly. My best guess is due to the crazy amount of rust and the mechanics of the brakes not working very well, I was just riding with the shoes somewhat engaged. I dont think the previous owners winterized/covered this thing and it has been sitting for the last 7 years! Not to mention they live near the beach so salt in the air likely contributing to the rapid corrosion. I thought I got a good deal on this thing but its costing me more in time and money!
Tinofenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:23 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 201
Smile KMs bad- miles good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinofenotti View Post
Well DocBrown, looks like you hit the nail on the head. I managed to get the drum off after an hour not knowing that there was a grease cap (duh) anyways that's what it was. The adjuster bolt, housing and spring came apart and were rolling around in there. To make matters worse the shoes are almost down to the metal which is odd considering my TT has only likely been driven 500 KMs. I was thinking of changing the shoes however folks are saying just to get the entire assembly. My best guess is due to the crazy amount of rust and the mechanics of the brakes not working very well, I was just riding with the shoes somewhat engaged. I dont think the previous owners winterized/covered this thing and it has been sitting for the last 7 years! Not to mention they live near the beach so salt in the air likely contributing to the rapid corrosion. I thought I got a good deal on this thing but its costing me more in time and money!
I see the problem. You are driving KMs, they are much harder on vehicles than good old American miles.
__________________
Ford F250, Crew, 6.2 Gas, 4X4, Short Bed, Companion Hitch
2019 Jayco 28.5 RSTS, MorRyde orbital
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,702
At least you know now! On my old Kiwi 17a the adjuster was so chewed up I had to get another one. It didn't hurt the drum any though.

So long as the drums are in good shape, smooth no gouges, not excessively worn, I'd just get the shoes and new springs. If the drums are good take some 100 grit sand paper and sand the inside surface, them spray them with brake cleaner.

The brakes are not self adjusting like cars. You have to manually adjust them.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sterling
Posts: 108
Glad you found the problem with the brakes. What I found out recently is itís easier to buy the entire assembly for each side then try to find individual parts like the shoes and springs. If you have it apart and there was a lack of maintenance from the previous owner itís probably best to do it all. Donít forget to repack the wheel bearings and replace the seal on the drum also.
__________________

damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas, propane, stove, tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×