Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

re-adjusting wd bars for first trip...with loaded camper

2015 jayco jayflight 267 bhsw
2006 ford f 150 (4x4 crew cab)
When I had my wd bars, hitch, and sway bar mounted/adjusted by dealership, it was to an empty trailer.

Brought it home with no towing issues (it did get a little bouncy on a certain stretch of freeway for about 5 seconds, this is rough on cars as well lol) but no sway at all, nice smooth ride

NOW, the camper is loaded (tried to put heavier stuff in FRONT bin, nothing real heavy behind the wheels) and we will be leaving for our first trip soon

what can I expect...will I have to move the chain up a link to increase tension, should it sit the same...what small adjustments can I expect to make...generally speaking of course, as you cant possibly know all the crap my wife put in the camper LOL...we are being careful to not over pack the thing...its camping, we aren't moving

also...grey, black, and fresh tanks will be empty...hot water tank might be filled as first trip has no water hookup, will have to fill fresh tank there

Maybe tell me your stories...
scottraycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottraycraft View Post
2015 jayco jayflight 267 bhsw
2006 ford f 150 (4x4 crew cab)
When I had my wd bars, hitch, and sway bar mounted/adjusted by dealership, it was to an empty trailer.
...snip...
NOW, the camper is loaded (tried to put heavier stuff in FRONT bin, nothing real heavy behind the wheels) and we will be leaving for our first trip soon

what can I expect...will I have to move the chain up a link to increase tension, should it sit the same...what small adjustments can I expect to make...generally speaking of course, as you cant possibly know all the crap my wife put in the camper LOL...we are being careful to not over pack the thing...its camping, we aren't moving

also...grey, black, and fresh tanks will be empty...hot water tank might be filled as first trip has no water hookup, will have to fill fresh tank there

Maybe tell me your stories...
It sounds like you are taking the logical steps. The only way for you to KNOW about the weights on your truck and trailer would be to have your rig weighed (there are many posts on this site detailing the steps).

Increasing your tire pressures to the tire's maximum on both the truck and trailer will reduce sidewall flex and help reduce sway problems.

Also, you didn't state what sway control you had installed. The chain links and tension are related to weight distribution. More tension there will do next to nothing if you encounter sway issues. If you find sway problems when towing, you may need to increase the friction on the sway control device(s).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

I have a pro series wd bars and pro series friction sway control
The sway control is easy, just tighten it a bit more

I also have air compressor and when we had pop up, I ALWAYS made sure tires were inflated (cold) to recommended pressure before leaving for a trip

I also have a torque wrench and (just like I did with our pop up)on the first trip I will pull off every 50 miles and tighten the lugs with the torque wrench

I want to learn as much as I can and do as much preventative stuff to make sure the trip there and back is smooth...

this forum has been awesome....just a great source of info...
Old 04-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #4

You want the heavier weight to be over the trailers axels as much as possible. Also if you need to adjust the chains then adjust them so you maintain the same amount of level as you had with an empty trailer. With everything level you should have no problem towing. Also keep an eye out for the big rigs passing you. Try to keep as far to the right in your lane as possible. A tip I learned many years ago was to watch as the big rig was passing me and when the cab of his rig would get about even with my drivers window I would increase my speed about 2 to 3 MPH this will help reduce the amount of vacuum created and also will shift your weight toward the rear and you will feel you have better control I don't increase speed any more than is needed so as to not create any problems for the rig that is passing me.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Increasing your tire pressures to the tire's maximum on both the truck and trailer will reduce sidewall flex and help reduce sway problems.
This is mostly correct. On your TV, I recommend going by the sticker inside the door. On my Silverado 2500HD, the tires say 80 psi max. But the truck's sticker says 80 psi rear and 65 psi front. That's what I do.

But on the trailer, always inflate to the max psi listed on the tires' sidewalls. The GVWR of your trailer is calculated on the maximum load carrying capacity of all for tires, aggregately.

And be sure to check the tire pressures when the tires are cold. When they roll down the road, they heat up, as does the air inside, and the pressure will increase. That is all taken into account by the tire manufacturer.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
This is mostly correct. On your TV, I recommend going by the sticker inside the door. On my Silverado 2500HD, the tires say 80 psi max. But the truck's sticker says 80 psi rear and 65 psi front. That's what I do.

But on the trailer, always inflate to the max psi listed on the tires' sidewalls. The GVWR of your trailer is calculated on the maximum load carrying capacity of all for tires, aggregately.

And be sure to check the tire pressures when the tires are cold. When they roll down the road, they heat up, as does the air inside, and the pressure will increase. That is all taken into account by the tire manufacturer.
I agree with your notes on filling the TT tires to max sidewall, but I don't entirely agree with your comments on the TV tires. On your 2500HD, you have LT tires. LT tires load rating is maximized at maximum pressure and the load rating decreases at lower pressures.

The OP's F-150 is most likely equipped with P-metric tires. P-metric tires reach their maximum load carrying capacity at less than maximum pressure. For example, on my GMC, maximum load carrying capacity of the tire was reached at 30 PSI per the placard on the B-pillar; the max sidewall pressure of the tire was 44 PSI. Anywhere over 30 and up to 44 PSI offered the same load carrying capacity, but the increased pressure offered a slightly more stable ride by removing some of the sidewall flex in the tire.

A fine distinction perhaps, but LT and P-metric tires are different animals.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottraycraft View Post
snip....... will I have to move the chain up a link to increase tension, should it sit the same...what small adjustments can I expect to make.....snip
Not all TV/TT combinations (suspensions, etc.) react the same to given WDH adjustments, and we all have our personal loading habits.

IMO we all should take our "loaded" TV/TT combinations to a CAT scale at least once, confirming our TV/TT weights/WDH adjustment requirements...., thus eliminating all the guesswork and enhancing one's piece of mind.

CAT scale how-to:http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote