Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #1

re-sealing new unit

would it be a good idea to go over all the seams, front cap, rear wall , lights etc etc with a new and fresh bead of sealant as soon as I get me new stick and tin trailer ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
Site Team

I would not, but I would carefully inspect all seams and roof openings and all caulk on the unit. If you did not do that before taking possession, I would do it now and then anything obvious can be addressed.

Sometimes piling a big gob of caulk on a joint can make it harder to see a small area needing attention.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Site Team

I think it is a great idea to go over it top to bottom when you bring it home. I know that when we purchased our 2017 I did go up and check things out. I ended up putting a little lap sealant here and there (a couple of screw heads, around the skylight, etc.) As far as resealing everything, I'm not sure that I would go to that extent with a brand new unit. Inspect and touch up as necessary would probably be fine.

By the way, congratulations on the new trailer.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #4

I agree that a new owner should check for any major flaws that might cause an exterior water leak and possibly be repaired by the warranty before doing any sealing on the trailer. However:

I've heard - but have not seen in writing other than from affected owners- that Jayco will consider any exterior water leak that occurs beyond two months of ownership to be the owner's responsibility: it would not be paid for by Jayco's 2 Year Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

Soon after we got our shiny new 2011 fifth wheel, I applied Eternabond to the front cap, rear seams and side seams. The windows, which often leak around the flange, I removed and sealed with butyl tape and centered in the cut out hole. I applied a bead of caulk around the top and down the sides of the windows as an extra seal.

Some say that such action during the warranty period would make any leak that might be covered by the warranty my responsibility as I interfered with Jayco's sealing. My assumption was that Jayco would not pay for any exterior water leak, so any "interference" with the so-called warranty is, I believe, moot; especially after two months.

I check for damaged seals every time we use our trailer. So far, no leaks.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #5

At our dealer here we seem to put quite a bit of lap sealant on new units. You would be surprised what the factory will miss sometimes.

On my new unit (2019 WhiteHawk) it had some not so great sealant around the sky light. My prep guys noticed it and showed me. It had just been delivered and I am sure it would of been leaking in now time. They sealed it for me.

The sun baked sealant from our lot trailers usually get addressed before customers take delivery.

Jayco warranty considers sealants as maintenance
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
snip..... I applied a bead of caulk around the top and down the sides of the windows as an extra seal.....snip
I agree 100%......, especially on the stick & tin units. With the tin side walls it's easy for the rubber window gaskets not to seat correctly due to the irregular surface of the tin (unlike a fiberglass surface).

The first thing I did with my stick & tin was run a bead of clear silicon caulk (Jayco recommends) along the top of the windows (over the rubber gasket) and 2" down each side....., this way the prior gap between the window frame and tin doesn't act as a gutter (or moisture intrusion source).

Also, another area to run a bead of Dicor caulk is along the one 'edge' of the existing black (or white) sealer tape (covers roof trim piece) that runs along the slide roof against the surface of the slide flange.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #7

Well thanks guys, I dont even have the trailer yet but Im a bit worry by all the uge gap filled with butyl tape that one can see all over a stick and tin trailer. They must be much more prone to leak than fiberglass wall ... anyway Ill have to keep an eye on it

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #8

If you decide to applying new seal to the new TT consider using Eternabond tape. Good stuff! Will probably out last the roof material.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #9
Site Team

I had to put a tube of Dicor on my roof right after I got it home, was not satisfied with the factory job.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #10

On a stick and tin trailer I would be tempted to spend a few hundred dollars and a couple weekends sealing all the windows with caulking added on top of the foam seal, Eternabond all roof edges over the edge to the gutter, and all penetrations thru the roof. The other spot I definitely don't trust is the corner seals, (just replaced my front wall due to a corner seal leak). I found and used this corner seal kit and it completes a total re-seal of the trailer with flexible, watertight membranes.

Corner Seal Kit - 1.5" - Seal Design LLcSeal Design LLc